Y&R: Week of August 18, 2008

• Members

I think a good soap actor is able to have chemistry with most actors they are paired with, and only occasionally are there exceptions. This show should not try and cast someone just to prop up an actor/actress who is unable to have chemistry with the majority of actors they have been paired with. Y&R's cast could use a lot of cutting and getting rid of those who are not fan favorites should be a start. While this show has been improving, I am not devoted to any character or pairing that they have been featuring lately. Where is the spark?

I am glad to hear that Michael Gross is sticking around. He and Reba McEntire were my favorite characters in Tremors. The way I'd like to see it is that he is brought on to fill in for Gloria while she is only on part time in her jail set. I don't see why they are delaying having her character spend a few months in jail, when it would make all the difference. I would also like to see Ashley brought back and mixed in with the Abbot/Gloria takeover storyline. She can also bring a SORASSED Abby with her to mix in with Noah and the gang.

As for Nikki and Victor, I hope they do a switcheroo and have Nikki and Paul get back together while hunting for Victor. Nothing aggravates Victor more than to have Nikki paired with another man, especially one he can't slag off!!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LoL, let me clarify. I'm finding the show right now to be unstable and nonsensical in some aspects. So, a quick "RAID" of these characters will only make the situation worse. It makes TPTB look even more unorganized, showing once again that "we f-ucked up, and now we're taking the easy way out."

I agree, especially with Gloria and prison. Just think that all the months of having Gloria play out stupid sh-t, she could have been near the end of her redemption arc by now, if they had just thrown her ass in prison. However, I disagree with getting rid of those who are not fan favorites. All the back and forth gets tiring so these new characters are needed, as well, to further carry on the legacy of the show; since the regulars won't be here forever. Plus, look at Raya Meddine, she wasn't a fan favorite, but by the end of her run, people were changing their tune entirely. The thing is, if the character actually has a real purpose, then they will gain their audience (of course casting a good actor will help too). Oh and I'm also liking Heather and Adam.

• Members

I think Vail Bloom is an interesting case, but she is still a pretty weak actress, and not all that interetsing of a character. The problem before is they were focusing on her role as ultra serious ADA and she just was not convincing and to me I always felt like she was playing Barbie goes to court. She has good chemistry with Chris Egan which makes them both more interesting but her role is now to be Adam's confident as well as a bikini bathing suit model. Her body and looks are really her best asset and that is what they are focusing on. Of course, I don't think Chris Egan of the furrowed brow and unemotional delivery is all that compelling of an actor either. What is helping both is they have good sexual chemistry and the Newman sibling rivalry is interesting with Victor missing and the will changed.

I do agree that a new EP shouldn't just come in and clean house though, but even a great EP can only do so much with barely adequate actors. Some young actors have the potential to be very good, but I don't see actresses like CK, VB or TS ever being in that category. When given the spotlight alone they will fall flat, but they will be allright in stories that are not to heavy to play, are matched with actors they have chemistry with and if the actors play to their "assets" as you say.

• Members

Oh I agree with you. I wouldn't mind re-casting some people, as long as they had a real long term vision for the character. IMO Adrian Korbel had amazing potential, EP is a very good actor, and to not use him is stupid. Y&R needs to stop all the older/younger pairings too, it's getting stale.

• Members

The show did well by pairing up Adam and Heather. Aside from family conflict, the pairing brought life back into Heather, and it gave Adam a new side. I'm glad Y&R found a great match as these two are. I was a bit worried they might be a lot of them, but I now keep thinking there isn't enough. ;) Bring on the drama (but the good kind, of course).

And I disagree with the fact that Vail only has her looks working for her. If it's summer they should use that. I'm kinda bummed that it's mostly men who get the shirtless scenes, women should have more of that too.

• Members

MTS rocks, I am still LOL at the sudden love for Sabrina. It wasn't the actresses fault she wasn't popular, it was the rushed storyline. Still, letting her go and righting that wrong was the best decision.

As for Heather and Adam, they are one of the better couples of the new set. I think my favorite thing about them is that their relationship has not been shoved down our throats. Neither are established enough to play leads in the show and he needs someone to humanize him. Otherwise all his scenes would be antagonistic with Victoria and Nick and he wouldn't have a chance to develop his own character. My problem is with that other young adult group who are being shoved down our throats without being able to carry a storyline. I'm talking about Cane and Lilly here. They need other people, Jill/Kay/Neil/Amber/Chloe/Kevin to generate any interest in their characters and relationship. I am not feeling the passion or the heartbreak and just wish they would vanish because no one would even realize they were gone. The same can be said with TS as Colleen. I can only think that Sony imposed her on the show, because why else is she still here? The fans haven't warmed to her and she has yet to play well with any of the other characters. The funniest one is now Daniel because MG has chemistry with almost everyone and has even made a character I have always hated, Amber, kinda rootable. Give Kevin and Daniel a storyline already and quit waisting their time playing supporting to the dud actors this show seems to be stuck with. I was hoping that the mob was listening to love line and realized that Amber and Daniel had Gi Min's money. That could have been good, this current crap is not!

Unfortunately, soaps still think they can create stars, when onscreen presence leads to fan support and it is the fans who create stars!!

• Members

Yeah, every few days a new thread pops up on different threads with viewers saying how much they miss Sabrina and her french talk, how they have decided to quit because she's not there and similar stuff. It's hilarious.

Fall previews say

• Members

It looks to me that they are planning to pair Tyra and Neil even though they have just established that she was 15 when Ana was born, making her 28 at the latest. Isn't he 45+? Hopefully they will keep him with Karen and pair her with the Adam/Billy/Cane age group.

• Members

Somehow I doubt that. Peeples' site said she will work until September and then they'll see. But they ain't actually giving the actress much chance. They don't use the character much, they don't even try to give her much depth. I like Karen, I like the actress, but it's sad seeing what they're doing with her.

Tyra had a somewhat good thing going with Cane (when he offered to help her), but that was obviously accidental (only meant to show us how generous Cane was).

The pregnancies are just leaving me deeply troubled. We don't need them anymore. Are the writers really that clueless that they'll add a pregnancy to almost every storyline? We had enough of those for 2008.

• Members

Maybe she will suprise me in the future, but I really haven't seen anything special from VB beside her body at this point. The funny thing is that I didn't like the actress much at all until Heather was matched with Adam and I immediately liked the heat of the pairing. I thought it was smart to pair Heather and Adam because of the family conflict and them working at Newmans and Jabot but so far they have done nothing with this.

I thought she was ok as a corporate lawyer at Jabot because of the conflict, but for the life of me I don't know why they put her back as ADA. She really looks weak going head to head with CLB in court and the only reason I can see her being put back in the ADA position is if she has an upcoming case against Michael maybe involving Lowell or another family member. The problem, is that this highlights her deficiencies rather than highlights her assets as an actress.

• Members

Can they replace Victoria with Heather Tom's Victoria? The sibling story is great but AH's Victoria is annoying and shrill. Some of that is the writing but a lot of it is the actress. Still loving Adam and Heather v. Nick and Victoria.

I keep thinking how classic the Lilly/Cane/Chloe story is and yet how the actors drag it down. They need a much stronger actor to play Cane. Someone who can hold his own with Jill and Katherine.

• Members

I'm with you on the older/youger pairings. It is ironic that all the Baldwin/Fishers are matched pretty well age wise. Aside from them and Heather and Adam most of the couples have a pretty large age disparity and as others have said matching Tyra with Neil will just continue that trend.

I hate how they have treated Karen and Nia Peeples who is a pretty good actress to promote another actress whose assets are more with her looks than any inherent acting ability. Still Tyra might be a better match for Neil as long as she agrees with him. Neil doesn't really want strong women even though he was married to Dru. Karen is better off without Neil and Nia is better off in a better role.

• Members

Another thing that has bothered me is that Cane hasn't questioned the DNA in the same group BS. I would go to a doctor and find out what exactly that means. Does it mean only you and your identical twin can be the daddy? Does it mean only you and your brother can be the daddy. How about cousins? What if the same group means all people from a certain descent? I was thinking that maybe Jill's brothers or nephews could have fathered Chloe's baby but then that wouldn't matter if Jill isn't really a Foster.

I too wish we had Heather Tom back on Y&R. She is so misused on B&B and her Vicky was fierce.

As for Tyra and Neil, I just looked it up on IMDB and he's 42 and she's 24. They should not be heading there with a romance.

Archived