Y&R: Week of August 18, 2008

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think that is going to happen. Karen was talking about her feelings about children at the club and Neil was so not understanding her because he was thinking about Tyra and her being a mother. Neil isn't even invested in his relationship with Karen anymore and is all about his new "family members". What a waste for Karen. I usually like Neil but his treatment of Karen has been pretty low. Just because he was feeling a little lonely, he should not have flown to NY to get her back with false promises. It is obvious he was not ready for a commitment with Karen.

It would be a waste of Karen's time and dignity to even fight Tyra for Neil since Neil seems to have emotionally moved on.

• Members

I think I'm done with watching Y&R, at least for now. The show is still WAY TOO inconsistent, repetitive, the stories are all over the place, and I'm very indifferent to all the characters.

Maybe I'll tune back in if there's a regime chance and Griffith's successor is announced, but I know that won't keep me. However, the problem is much bigger than Griffith, Maria Arena Bell has shown time and time again that she just isn't a good storyteller and she doesn't understand long-term plotting, hence why the show is so inconsistent. It's really in the best interest of Billy to fire his wife and hire a more seasoned writer who understands the show, plotting, and cohesive storytelling. Alas, the Bell's don't see how detrimental nepotism can really be, so that won't be happening.

• Members

I agree with you. There was a sudden jolt when Hogan took over but I have no idea why they are repeating recent storylines. Victor is presumed dead? Again?

The wasting of the fabulous Nia Peeples is a crime. Phick is far from the couple I loved. It's very clear based on the fact that they have not shared a scene of any intimancy in ages plus spoilers and the writing of Sharon and Nick make it clear that the writers are heading towards the original Mr and Mrs Nick Newman. No thank you. Not sure what they're doing with Jack. Jill is throwing a party for Chole? I don't care about anyone very much. I paid bills during the show today with the tv turned off. I just deleted several soap board favorites. TIVO is next. They don't want me.

• Members

Do you really think it is that bad? I don't think it is great but it is much better than under LML. I like that more characters are getting airtime and they are setting up a fight over Jabot which I think will land Jack back at Jabot. They are bringing Billy back which will help rebuild the Abbotts. I could care less about silly Lily and Cane but they have their fans and as long as they're not on all the time it's fine. I love Michael and am glad he is finally geting a story and Jill and Katherine are getting some decent screentime as well as Paul.

I am just wary of a new person coming in to make the show in their image unless it a Bell protege.

• Members

Sometimes a fan just reaches a point where they can't stand the constant changes in stories (a little good, then the bad, then the good, then the bad again). It takes a lot of energy out of a fan to endure constant change. Just when you think it might get better, thing start to get worse. And it's been like that way for years. I understand why Y&RWorldTurner feels like that way (the same thing happened a few days ago when Y&RWorldTurner was realizing that the ratings weren't okay and then started to get all negative). This might also just be a temporary faze. I know I've had my share of frustrations, but it all passes. And I'll stick with the show even thought it seems like it just won't get better anytime soon.

• Members

If it takes a Bell protege to put the show back on a steady track, then that might be the solution. However, this show has one week where its good and one week where its bad, and to me, that's frustrating as a viewer.

It may not be as bad as LML's Y&R, but as you said it's not great either. This show has been inconsistent for way too long. It's good that they're using a lot of the cast, but a lot of these stories suck, are horribly planned, and look ridiculous. It's not so much about the screentime for me, it's about the stories, and I don't think that's one GREAT story on the show at the moment, but none are as bad as LML's either.

Y&R needs a distinct flavour that I can't quite figure out right now, it's missing something.

The show is run by amateurs, and it shows IMO.

• Members

Every word you wrote is true. That "one week good, one week bad" thing is irritating the fans.

I keep waiting for that time when I realize that it'll all suddenly be better, but it isn't happening, and it probably won't happen for quite some time.

• Members

Caught some of the Sharon/Nick/nuNoah-age today. Hmm....well, let me begin by saying that nuNoah reminds me SO MUCH of Andrew from "Desperate Housewives." Looks like him, sounds like him, even has the same mannerisms. nuNoah doesn't look like he's 20 years old much at all, but he still looks older than 15. Being the young collegian that I am, I had to appreciate Y&R's lack of haste in showing him and his little wino pals off in their pool attire.

But, all that aside, I think it's funny that this kid is barely out of the SORAS oven and Nick and Sharon are already having disagreements in raising a teenage son. It's almost as if Noah was SORASed just so that Nick and Sharon could go through some "Oh my God! He's going to drink and kill someone like Daniel did to Cassie! DSADHAL;!!!!!!" That poor kid is going to have a tough time living up to that bitch Cassie (yes, went there).

It should go without saying that I want them to make him gay.

And this is from a few episodes back...I've been out of the Y&R loop for a while.....why is Victor speaking Spanish in mysterious, smoky bars?

Archived