Y&R: Week of August 18, 2008

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was worried about that, and I just started liking Gloria.

I will say, I was kind of blwah to the Jana/Kevin wedding, but as it played out, I was TOTALLY into it. I thought it was perfect. Except for Colleen being there. That was nothing more than a lame plot device for Daniel and Amber. Shocking, Colleen continues to serve no real purpose since the re-cast.

I heart Chloe.

• Members

Uhh... lazer surgery? :unsure:

Funny... that's exactly the vibe I got (ALL THE TIME) from Davetta Sherwood.

Christel has far more than two supporters. Lane recently surpassed Phick in the SID poll. Dismiss polls as inacurate or unimportant if you will (cue smart-ass remark from DeeeDee), but that's the kind of thing TPTB look at.

Bottom line: Lane is popular. Even if you, and most of the other posters on this particular board, detest them. They're not going to recast Lily with an actress who may or may not have chemistry with DG. They tried that with Cadrian last year and look what happened. EP has been given his walking papers because he couldn't carry himself in a scene with TS.

You wonder Christel cause Josh his job? Me wonder Hogan cause Josh job. You wonder me Josh Hogan cause Christel job? Ug, bring me woman.

Exactly. It would be one thing if CK really was a bad actress, but... :rolleyes:

• Members

I love LeBlanc and Bregman as well as Lauren and Michael. The fact that he is in such a stable relationship is the impetus for this entire story. If he didn't have Lauren, he would not have the confidence to face his old fears. He wouldn't even be a father. Michael was a dynamic character when he was more gray, but if he didn't change then he would be like Phyllis, a 40 yr old woman, who never learns from her mistakes and never grows up.

Has the writing been lacking for CLB and TEB? Yes, of course and they've been used to prop Gloria and other characters far too much. Still Tracey is no slouch in the acting department and can stand toe to toe with CLB when they are actually given good material.

I really enjoyed the wedding. Jana and Kevin's vows were sweet yet did not ignore their past. The wedding fit them. I also loved how Lauren was there for Michael. We have so many couples who have little chemistry and others who play pass the partner that it is unique to have Lauren and Michael representing a stable couple that are committed and in love years after they started dating. I would like conflict for them but no way would an affair fit in with how they have been portrayed for the last four years. Leave the betrayals for the quad. It's about time for them to switch partners and have their biannual affair isn't it?

• Members

I think the talk of him always needing to get reigned in is so overblown lately. For goodness sakes the man won two emmy's and has been nominated year after year for the past decade. He can act. I know it is the popular thing to go off on CLB and his hammy acting but he is accused of that far more than is needed and frankly it is insulting that every time he has a good scene it is because he was able to reign it in. Can't he just get credit for good acting without the constant disclaimers? I don't see Peter Bergman getting this type of criticism who I think is a terrific actor but sure has had his hammy moments over the years.

• Members

^^^He's been a talking ham for years though. Yelling and overstating your lines does not make you a compelling actor. In some cases, he's been downright laughable, and that's sad because before 2005 he was a top rate actor, so I'm happy to see him getting back to that. Peter Bergman had a terrific 2006, and then was pretty much shadowed ever since. But even then I find him tiresome with his overplayed scenes. "Oh Sharon, trust me, I love you...blah blah BLAH."

• Members

actually, no. No show takes internet polls, especially SID, seriously. They take it for what it is--a group of fans voting over and over again.

lmfan, I agree. I don't think CLB gets enough credit for what he can pull off in scenes. He blew me away with the scenes. I also liked that we got moments with Lauren and Michael and Kevin and Jana--there is something so real and human yet total soap about those relationships, and when highlighted, they shine.

• Members

I don't see it at all. I think he did overplay some scenes whith Judith and needed to tone it down but every time he yells people jump on the "CLB is a ham" bandwagon, yet sometimes people yell. Jack, Nick, Victor yell but every time CLB shows any emotion, I know people are going to start complaining CLB is being a ham again. He plays far more humor than any other male lead and too often the Baldwin Fishers family have been comic relief and they intentionally play camp.

CLB being downright laughable? Now that I find a bit hard to believe when you compare him to the leads of this show being played by the likes of Don Diamont (under LML), Josh Morrow and Daniel Goddard. I always find it ironic that when someone like Josh Morrow pulls off a rare compelling scene he is lauded and yet people can be so critical of CLB. I really think it stems from some being angry he won the emmy for 2006 over Peter Bergman. Peter did have the better year, but Christian had the better scene. I can only imagine the beating he would have taken if he actually won this year. I am not saying he hasn't overacted a scene, but he gets labelled hammy far more than he deserves in my book.

By the way Peter was wonderful in 2006, but even though LML tore apart the Abbotts she gave Peter story after story and gave Christian very little to work with. Peter had Phyllis' affair and the pregnancy, John's death, then he had NVP, the senate race, owning Jabot secretly, then the magazine never mind the endless quad story. In fact Christian has had maybe a couple scenes every year to really dig his teeth into. His last story was the Pheila story which lasted all of 6 weeks and ended in Feb 2007. He has been used as a prop since LML took over and things are just starting to change under Maria after 8 mos.

We obviously have different takes on CLB which is fine. I just think it is insulting to a good actor that every time he gets credit for a good scene it is often a backhanded compliment.

• Members

I agree. When I think of Likey's relationship and now Kevin and Jana's the word that comes to mind is often "real". The emotions and feelings between the couples and even the whole family seems so genuine. That is why it is so frustrating that over the past couple years they have used Kevin, Michael and Lauren as mere props to Gloria. All the actors in the family are good and have strong chemistry but Michael and Kevin should be the focus not Gloria.

Archived