B&B: Week of August 18, 2008

• Members

To be far to Texas, isn't B&B prone to a certain kind of overwrought, melodramatic acting style? I'm thinking about Ronn Moss's valiant but painful efforts a couple of weeks back. Susan Flannery is the only one who can really do powerful and understated, but the writing as a whole demands that B&B's cast stand around wringing their hands and saying stuff like

"Nick! What we did was wrong!"

"Katie. Our bond is so much more than niece and aunt."

"Owen is dangerous, mom!"

"Come and swim with me, Katie. Even though it's dark, foggy and I'm dead."

"Come back to me, honeybear! I need you!" and

"As God is my witness! I want to live!"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is as bad as when LML thought we could plausibly believe that Jack or Victor would kill Ji Min on Y&R. These whodunits only work when there is genuine tension.

Over and over and over it seems so OBVIOUS to me who the "killer" is. So the stronger gambit would have been to play that...let the audience in on it, and let the tension be in how long it takes the characters to figure out.

The show's EP/HW is "spent". Both creative ideas and production/business aspects are clearly in jeopardy on this show. I wish the EP/HW could be convinced to take six months on the backburner...play tennis, and let others fix the mess.

• Members

It is amazing how Susan hasn't broken out in laughter or rolled her eyes at some of the crap that she has has to spew over the years. It is a credit to her that she has discipline to continue to give us such good work. Goodness knows, she must have been bored to tears.

• Members

Just saw Friday and that stuff was lame. Are they really trying to make this look like a murder mystery? Whatever. Eric is the last person, Id see at the center of something like this. The way its playing out is reminding me of Stephanie's attempted murder earlier this year

• Members

B&B has a good plot going for it. Who poisoned Eric? Did we really need a picture board of all the suspects? We couldn't have figured that one out on our own...maybe from watching the opening? Two words for B&B's new flashy gimicky camera ways: STOP IT! It's annoying and pointless. The music sucks and the cuts are jumpy. (I'd go so far to say bring back GOING BACK AGAIN but I'd have to be drunk in the afternoon.) We get it, you're trying to be innovative, you're trying to be different from GL but it's not working.

Something else that's not working is Steffy and Marcus. No chemistry at all. I don't see the reason of them being together. Oooh let's make rivals between the Logans and the Forresters. Didn't that happen between Brooke and Ridge which has pretty much been the main focus for 20 years?

I love the show but I hate it at the same time.

Archived