EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The scenes where Lucas was talking to Zainab and Masood, intercut with Libby and Chelsea grieving and Patrick going to the scene of Denise's "suicide", I've never seen anything like that on Eastenders before. Best of all there was no random pop tune blaring to try to manipulate our emotions. It was a big step forward. The last few weeks of this storyline have had a lot of what I would call risky choices -- another one being the lengthy Denise/Lucas scenes in the car. There's a risk in not coddling viewers or trying to distract them.

Don Gilet and Rudolph Walker were fantastic. Don Gilet has just been on fire these past few weeks. I don't know whether Patrick actually believes Lucas or not.

Syed's monologue to his "therapist" was well-written, and I was relieved that they finally tried to actually show some of this turmoil. Marc Elliot did a decent job. Hearing him blame his parents was pathetic, but then, that's what ex-gay "therapists" do -- they tell you to find a cause and it often ends up being some fault of your parents, your father never loved you enough, or your mother loved you too much.

I would have been more moved if I had not seen him do these same mannerisms (the teary eyes and the hysteria) for a year now. I will say that he was better than John Partridge; I thought Partridge was fake and very actor-y in all his scenes. If he's trying to play Christian as a breathless, delusional, sad figure, then great work, but I don't think that is the intention. And his friendship with Roxy is also shallow, although at least the writers made an effort today. I could have done without that jogging scene and the bumping into Syed though, it was a bit cringeworthy and "cute."

Shirley trying to teach Ben how to cope in prison was a sad, good scene. Charlie Jones and Linda Henry work so well together. It really upsets me how desperate Ben still is to please his father and how Phil cares more about this than he does about Ben's actual welfare.

Anyway, this was, overall, a pretty strong episode. The day-to-day episodes are getting much better.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

True. This is why I'm always so surprised that Christian/Syed like Luke and Noah have so many fans. I wonder if it is because subconsciously many of their female fans sense that Marc and Jake are straight and uncomfortable playing gay characters.

I thought Patrick bought it completely once Lucas began to spin the lie that Denise accidentally killed Owen. Lucas is so damn convincing. Patrick better not go any where alone with Lucas or he might be next.

• Members

I couldn't quite tell with Patrick but I think you're right, Ann. I have to admit that I am secretly hoping Denise is working with the police and that the police also got Patrick involved. Now that most of her family is going I want to see the Patrick/Denise bond become even stronger.

Speaking of Denise's family, apparently this is the woman who will be playing Denise's other sister, Daphne, who is also at the funeral. She's beside Chelsea in this photo, I think.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/s2/eastenders/i303222/eastenders-4040-2010-07-23-lucas-chelsea-and-libby.html

Here's a photo of the actress, Emi Wokoma:

http://www.ultimatedivas.co.uk/images/emi.jpg

There is still so much of Denise's life to explore and I hope that this might happen. I think that the Foxes have often labored under the view by a lot of fans and by the producers themselves that they are second-class characters, not worth investing in. The past few months of this story have shown what they can do when they get the opportunity.

I think that it does help on some level that people know at least one of the actors is straight. I think that in this case it also helps that Syed is probably the type of guy a lot of women would want to cuddle, with those big sad eyes and the constant tears. I think there's also just a natural inclination for some women (it seems like most of these pairings are mainly popular with women) to enjoy these same-sex stories, I guess because they tend to be written as star-crossed and with very little actual physical contact, like what old soap stories used to be.

• Members

Great minds. I was just coming to post this possibility. Could Denise have gone to the police after escaping Lucas? The police could be trying to get Lucas to make a mistake and give them evidence other than Denise's word. I could be that Patrick knows everything and is part of the con. I would much prefer this scenario be true.

• Members

I wonder if the "getting it on" is a shout out to the Digital Spy thread.

I have a hard time believing that an actor playing a high profile gay role wouldn't get something of a negative response. There are a lot of people out there who enjoy the idea of taunting someone who plays a gay part, or some people who are just plain homophobic.

• Members

I think they need to remember that they're characters, and not plot pieces. Their story has been fundamentally about plot twists, and stunts that don't have any lasting impact, which is ironic, considering this is supposed to be about character. They need to develop Syed, and have him move forward, b/c ATM, it's just the plot that's moving forward, but not the characters.

Christian & Syed need to be seen addressing their issues, and not falling into a relationship so easily. Christian needs to learn to empathize, and Syed needs confidence and self-esteem in order to learn how to deal with being gay and a Muslim. Really, he should be doing this before he moves in with Christian, but then I guess, there'd be no drama. Obviously, Syed's gonna have issues with being a public couple, and adapting to that, but long term, I think that they can take Syed back to who he was originally supposed to be before he was laden with angst. Shrewd, manipulative, charming, which could naturally develop from gaining confidence and self-esteem. In what story? I don't know... Maybe something career related.

Wait, they could do some kind of prescription drug addiction, that sees Syed get addicted after being treated for his obvious anxiety and depression that he has - some of those medications can be seriously addictive. It's also a good social issue storyline, too, which would have depth and meaning, unlike all the others. It could also be a good time for them to see how self-inflicted their problems are/have been, and go from there.

Whether someone is a good/bad actor is also subjective. Some people think ME is awesome, while others, like yourself, think he's a bad actor. I think he's a decent actor (a bit theatrical, but that kinda adds to Syed being a drama whore), but their lack of romantic chemistry lets them down. You are right, I to question whether Syed is really in love with Christian, but I think that's simply b/c of where Syed's head is at. He's not comfortable in his own skin, and is anxious about everything, which leaves a distance between what he's actually feeling. Theoretically, if he can become content with being gay, then hopefully his love for Christian wouldn't be so questionable...

I did not know that. Actually, I thought that was just a rumour that Preeya quashed?

Hence the therapist wanting Syed to have "years" of psychoanalysis, which would realistically bankrupt him. Seriously, psychoanalysis is only affordable for the rich. And yeah, I think ME did a decent job of conveying Syed's situation. He reminds of KKL in being able to cry on demand. I do believe that to do this part of the story justice, they should have had many more therapy scenes, so viewers could get a feel of what they're actually like, and what goes into trying to "cure" gay people. These few little scenes are not enough.

Ina owns the flower stall on the market, who employs Jean. I think you would've seen her before, in the odd background shot. I think she's the one that has short red hair.

I don't think Marc's uncomfortable at playing a gay character. Check my reasoning a couple of quotes above.

I'd say he probably has had some negative feedback, but chooses not to say, but instead publicly focus on all the positives. I'd be really surprised if he hasn't, as you say, there are gonna be people who object to the story, especially one so high profile.

• Members

Some soap fans are so weird. What possesses them to think that the actors want their scrapbooks and odd gifts?

I don't think that whether someone is a good actor or not is subjective, really. Rather I think that lots of soap fans are unable to distinguish between their attraction to an actor and their acting ability. I think it is pretty clear Marc is a mediocre actor. He is fairly unimpressive though he can occasionally rise to the occasion. I do think that romantic chemistry is subjective so just because you and I don't see it, it doesn't mean that others don't. Like I always say, we can't all like the same couples.

I just don't buy the explanation that what I see missing from Syed is due to his anxiety about being gay. There are simply no moments, even when he is alone with Christian that I believe that he reluctantly desires Christian. I practically rolled my eyes the first time Syed kissed Christian. I have always put it down to ME being straight and uncomfortable playing a gay character, but I could be dead wrong. He could be gay and is uncomfortable playing a gay role or it more likely it is his mediocre acting.

Edited by Ann_SS