EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I hated the way they made her look the last time around. I know they did that because they saw the character as trash but Sam had never dressed that way with Daniella or with Kim Medcalf. It led to a lot of nasty comments about her appearance. When she was on Dancing on Ice she looked much better.

Thanks for that. The photo of Heather in tears made me laugh. I know I'm a bad person.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What's surprising is how horribly Corrie did last night. They barely edged out Emmerdale.

I've heard that this is the closet since 2002 that EastEnders and Corrie have been in yearly averages thus far. Though, EastEnders is up 15% in year to year ratings, while Corrie is stagnant or down some.

This has surprisingly been a tamer and more understated summer for EastEnders, which I guess might have helped some.

• Members

I'm not surprised that Eastenders is doing so well. I feel like the show has improved which is why I'm watching more frequently and posting about the stories. I think today's episode with the Denise/Lucas story coming to a head and Syed and Christian turning a corner will bring in even stronger ratings. The UK soaps are in so much better shape than their US counterparts that I think that viewership does actually measure quality.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

That timeslot was a bad choice for Corrie and then when you add in the competition from Waterloo Road and Come Dine With Me it gets even worse. And people say that the decision to have Emmerdale-Corrie-Emmerdale makes it even worse. The BBC has done a good job with finding a stable timeslot for Eastenders and a stable repeat timeslot too.

It's strange because I didn't even think of this as a low-key summer until I looked back at the plots. There were some big shockers, like Owen being found, Denise "dying", Ben abusing Louise (although I think the show might forget that one), Ben almost killing Jordan, Ben being put in prison, but they have all been more about characterization and emotional fallout and relationships, not oh wow the diner is going to be blown up. I think it's been a breath of fresh air and has done a lot to help build up some neglected characters like the Foxes or Shirley. I'm hoping all the soaps are going to move more away from the stunts with nothing else going on. Budget-wise they may have to anyway. If Corrie could learn the same lesson that would also help improve that show.

• Members

Yeah I do think the show has been getting better and better. I don't want to take away from what Santer and Treadwell-Collins did in increasing viewership because they rescued the show from some rough ratings times but I don't know how much longer that would have lasted if the stories had stayed where they were in the winter and spring. The show has become much more consistent and has more depth and hopefully that will continue and viewers will be pleased.

• Members

It's surprising that all the new viewers that Santer/Treadwell-Collins brought to the show have remained. Whether they did things the best way or not, they really helped to establish a new set of viewers for the show in ways I don't think other soaps have done in recent years. I guess those same set of viewers may be noticing how much more consistent the day to day stuff has been recently too.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

They were very good at getting PR for the show and most of the time their events did get big numbers. For all I know when their time with the show is definitely over, the ratings will trend down, because they definitely knew how to get the public interest. I'm hoping that those people might stay, especially since Eastenders is and has been a brand for a long time and although I know they've had rough ratings patches in the 90s and such it was probably just the huge huge backstage problems, inept producers, and the tabloid fury from 2003-2006 that really knocked the show down so heavily.

I have to admit I thought the ratings might dip after the live episode attention was gone and the weather got better but they're still doing well. I think they're up 15% from last year. Hopefully that might also keep the soap genre alive...

• Members

I think John Yorke said it best that when EastEnders catches fire, there's nothing else like it in the world. The show gets press attention and viewers for big climaxes like no other soap. Since the 80's, they've had the single most watched soap episode every decade since.

It should be interesting to see if Corrie's anniversary week with the tram crash in December will pull in the viewers like EastEnders anniversary week in February did.

• Members

Can they back burner Christian and Syed now? They have got to be the most boring couple I've seen in a long time. It all just seems so ... pathetic and run of the mill. Neither actor has any screen presence either. Plus, that little reunion at the end of today's show seemed so hollow and the writing was extremely corny. Chreyed HATER here!

Does anyone know when the current actress that is playing Lucy will last air? I'll admit I'll kind of miss her.

• Members

That was the big Christian/Syed reunion? The dialogue was pathetic. The way that Syed barely touched Christian's face was so unconvincing. I just don't see love from that guy. Oh well, I'm just relieved that it is over. Hopefully, they can settle in as a couple and end the theatrics.

I loved Ian stewing over how Phil raised Ben and then confronting him, refusing to back down when Phil went at him. This mess is on Phil and he should own how he has helped destroy Ben's life.

I am interested in what is happening between Ronnie and Jack. I thought the actress who plays Ronnie looked lovely and the actor who plays Jack looked very handsome today. They are a striking couple. He isn't in the wheel chair permanently is he?

I take it back the ratings probably won't be much. It was only an okay episode.