EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think she and Ian were officially divorced before she "died" but I'm not entirely sure.

Not too long ago they would have had this play out over an entire week and probably would have even had the flashbacks too.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes I know they weren't on good terms but what with Cindy fleeing to Italy for a year, the custody battle when she returned and Cindy finally being arrested for hiring the hitman; I wasn't entirely sure whether they actually managed to find time to actually get officially divorced lol. Now I am pretty certain they were but can't confirm that without looking for a reference to Ian getting his decree absolute.

• Members

I made good on my threat and have binge watched almost all of June’s episodes, and I have so many thoughts and questions (having not watched with any regularity in 11 years), but I’ll keep it brief:

Is all of the over-wrought melodrama surrounding Lola’s death really merited? Was she really a popular character with the audience? She just seems to have been another hoop earring girl that the Brit soaps obsess over.

I really really hate back from the dead storylines, especially when the character has been “dead” for a long time. Even when we get a ton of really good stuff bc the character is back, there’s always the part of me that can’t get over how easily soap characters accept that someone they mourned endlessly is just back like they never died at all. Jesse Hubbard, I am talking directly to you! In EE’s case, I remember feeling this way when they brought Kathy back, and now it’s the same with Cindy. Idk, I feel like I would need years of therapy if my dead dad just reappeared after six years.

The show feels surprisingly familiar! There’s a good mix of characters who’ve been around for 10+ or 20+ years and characters who have showed up within the last five years. Meanwhile, when I gave Corrie a watch this week, I kept asking “Who are these people?” 

• Members

Corrie probably has far more people who are longterm than EE...but cast rotation means many aren't around (or are part time these days).

Lola was never that popular. Her first few years were her peak with the public. The story, like all of the "issue" stories the show has done for a long time now, felt extremely false to me for this reason.

The show does nothing for me these days. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it.

• Members

That's great news. That character should never have been axed in the first place.

Regarding Lola, she did seem to be a popular character, though I'm not sure why, she was just a boring chav. That whole storyline seemed to engulf the show and I was close to switching off as someone who was never a Lola fan.

Most fans seem to be loving the direction the show is going in. The producer does seem to be making some good decisions at least, not all though I might add. 

Edited by Skylover

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Someone was talking a day or two ago about how you just don't have that level of history or emotion in more recent returns from the dead, like what is coming up with Cindy (the show chose to have anyone left who would have a big reaction to her being alive find out offcamera). Those moments with Sharon and Den, alongside the fire of "Shannis," are unparalleled. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

They apparently couldn't be bothered to hire decent actors to play the Knights, Gina's the only one who works. And the decast Peter is a bit hit and miss.

At the moment, the highlights are Kathy and Nu-Old Peter having decent family chemistry, and Cindy and Gina's family chemistry. I hope they're all axed eventually except Cindy and Gina.

Clay Milner-Russell as Bobby has blown everyone else out of the water.