EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

To me it has less impact because of them, but I don't blame the show for that. I do blame them for being so generic in recent years (somehow even a story about a 12 year old being pregnant has had almost zero impact) that I struggle to believe they will handle her return right. 

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As someone who always had Colin Salmon earmarked in my mind to play Genie Francis' final dashing WSB love interest on GH, I'm at least relieved to see him turning up on a soap (he's done far more low-rent projects than EE over here).

Edited by Vee

• Members

Well, that was very surreal. The follow up episode has just aired, at least attempting to explain in a little detail how Cindy came to be alive (nothing revolutionary there, in my opinion).

While I suspect the show will sit on the Cindy time bomb for a little while longer, the episode has spun and spotlighted a web of lies and secrets that might provide some compelling drama over the summer if done properly. 

If done sloppily, and the various threads flop, then it’ll be looked at as a failed ratings stunt.

Because I suspect that not everyone who visits this thread has seen this episode, I won’t discuss it in detail, as a couple of little bits might provide a pleasant surprise

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I am interested to hear what you all thought of that, because to me, that was EE basically doing a US soap plot. Having said that, I was glued to it. I hope it continues to be as compelling.

Edited by Skylover

• Members

I don't get it. Is Cindy doing a bigamy thing? Did she disappear on the new family to shack up with the old one?

Thomas Law has done some good work post-EE as an adult. I can't speak to his run on his recent cop show but he was good in Edgar Wright's The World's End.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I just hope that the show doesn't brush over Bobby and Cindy's interaction. I'd hope that they'd have Cindy not take to the man that killed my beloved Lucy. And isn't he falling for one of Cindy's other daughters? I haven't watched in awhile but I am seeing rumblings of the show on Twitter. 

And speaking of daughters, they might as well recast Lil' Cindy (as I doubt Mimi Keane will return given she's on Sex Education of Netflix) too.

• Members

Posted this elsewhere, but will post here too.

That was absolutely nuts. But I did lap up every second so I'm kind of conflicted 😂

I'm a bit annoyed because I went on YouTube and saw a thumbnail for a video saying 'Cindy's back!' with a pic of Peter (recast back to Thomas Law) and Lauren. I really wish I had seen this unfold unspoiled, but it was still brilliant either way.

I feel like it all could have been slowed down a bit and played out way too fast. Great decision to have Lauren and Peter in the location scenes, but we didn't need to be told about the witness protection, for Ian to have a heart attack and for Lauren to find out about Cindy all in the same episode. It was like EastEnders on steroids. 

I think Thomas Law is the best Peter, but I think I would have liked to see the character recast again. He was the best Peter but still not a particularly strong actor. I love Lauren so I was thrilled to see her back. I couldn't remember if these actors had played opposite each other as Lauren and Peter before, but a quick online search shows they did overlap for a couple of months in 2010, with Lauren taking over as Lauren in September and Thomas leaving as Peter in December. They've not been on screen together much so it will be interesting to see how that develops (if they're both back on an ongoing basis).

I was hoping they'd use Lauren as a plot device to explain to the audience why Cindy was in witness protection. We've heard that these people were dangerous, but we don't know what happened yet. Much as it's great to see Ian, Peter and Lauren back, I think I would have liked to see Ian and Cindy's reunion on screen, so I hope that we get flashback sequences at some point.

I felt there was some emotion lacking from Michelle Collins in her scenes, which was really needed so we can be immersed in Cindy's story.

I hope Cindy jr is back at some point. I'm enjoying the story, but in a US soap storyline kind of way.

Much as I do think the Knights miraculously moving from Marbella to Cindy's old hometown is absolutely absurd, I do appreciate that the writers have actually created a life for Cindy since she's been away. Not many people would be absent for 25 years and not do anything with their lives, and this was something I always felt was a sore point in Kathy's return. I was up for Kathy coming back, but almost nothing has been done with her missing years. I don't necessarily mean kids (I think she would have been too old to have more kids by that point anyway) but Kathy was away for 15 years so you'd think we'd at least her something about that time.

Edited by Skylover

• Members

I love the Knights!

especially Anna, the blonde sister. She is really trying to be nice and to fit in. I really loved her interaction she had with Linda so far. 
George is a really complex character who I can potentially see becoming somewhat a bit darker.. This Cindy twist really came as no surprise because the press Kinda revealed it. This is why I hate modern soaps spoilers. Back in the day this would’ve been such a hughe surprise after 25 years to see Cindy back. But knowing it for the last 1-2 months it took it all away. But it’s great to see her back. But I’m not happy that Ian will be back soon.

The most ridiculous scenes all year or in the last couple of years were PHIL Mitchell OUT OF ALL people handing out relationship advice to George Knight. I was like are you for real?

I like Bobby and Freddie. BUT what I don’t get it is that they axed Peter but kept Bobby? If I would’ve started EE this year I would think he is a sweet little boy. But to know that he is a recast and was responsible for the death of his sister that was driving the entire show for a year is just stupid as hell and ruined a good storyline. That actor is SOME Bobby but not THE Bobby like seriously 

The Nish story is so frustrating… Suki trying to run away with Eve and bringing him down was exciting. But then her „falling down the stairs“ was another device to drag this stuff out for a couple more months. Vinny threatened Eve coz he knows the truth. Like wth? So annoying. Just cut your losses and axe them. 

Keanu-Reiss had some great comedy moments to balance out the other storylines. I do could see them as a new comedic duo to lighten up the screen. Sharon and Keanu.. They are from different worlds and it will catch up with them someday. I do still think it will be either Nish or Keanu dying at that Flash forward thing. 

That new creep being put into Stacey and her daughters orbit was interesting. 

i loved Lola’s story and how much impact she had on everyone involved during her time on EE.