Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've watched Hollyoaks since 2016 or so and, man, it's been a rough ride since Bryan Kirkwood stepped  as down executive producer. Lucy Allen's tenure has been a boring, muddled, unfocused disaster. I think one of the problems stems from most of the storylining team and producers being fired when Lucy Allen took over. Goodbye to institution knowledge! I barely recognize the characters. We've been inundated with new characters Ethan, Dillion, Norma, Lexi, Dave & Co.,  and the insufferable Rayne. Endless cast exits (DeMarcus, Serena, Honour, Imran, Verity, Zara, Grace, Damon, Juliet, Celeste, etc.) paired with juvenile plotting, high jinx, and shenanigans have made it a chore to watch day after day. I fear the heart and soul of the show has been ripped out, never to return. 

• Members

I loved the show until about a year ago. Now, I just watch it a couple of times a week. I think they still take a lot more storyline chances than any of the US soaps would ever dare to do. I thought the Eric/Maxine storyline was well-done. But, the show has gotten a little depressing lately for me. It seems everyone is ill all the time! I was disappointed that Honour was written out as I thought she was the most interesting of the new characters. Now, Dave seems pointless. I can't get into the hijinks stories either such as the bank robbery.

• Members

Replace the name of characters, and this statement could more or less be about 2009-2010 after Bryan Kirkwood left and Lucy Allan took over the first time.

I don’t watch Hollyoaks, so I say this from a slightly unqualified position, but I’m pretty staggered that Lucy Allan appears to have learned nothing in the decade or so since she abruptly left. 

She is a more experienced and tenured executive and producer, so unlike last time, I think the Hollyoaks fans will have to grin and bear it for longer this time around.

• Members

I dislike hijinks every time. Honour was becoming interesting, but then she up and left the village.

Maxine has always been one of my favorite characters, however, I don't think her topical storylines are very well executed. I also loathe the way they gave her an insta-family when Trish left town. 

I didn't want it in 2009-10. I'm fully aware that they've had a massive cast overhauls, but this one feels different. Maybe it's because we're losing strong characters and good actors to relative nobodies. 

Lucy's been there a while now, she has her people in place, her vision is being fully executed, and the show is embarrassing to watch.

• Members

The thing with the 2010 overhaul is that most characters that got axed were mid anyway. Boring ones like Archie, Dave, Charlotte etc. Only shocker was Josh Tbh.

the storytelling was stronger coz they added stronger characters like Brendan Brady, Silas Blissett. Theresa killing Calvin etc. There was so much going on that was helping the show move forward. This year not so much

• Members

A point of clarification. The 2010 overhaul you mentioned was the work of former Brookside and The Bill producer (and whose idea inspired the cult classic, Footballers Wives) Paul Marquess. 

That’s his M.O: Come in, blow things up, axe a lot of characters and retool a show. 

In this instance, it initially helped reinvigorate the show after Lucy Allan’s first tenure. But, he too, only lasted a year.

• Members

Well, let's not forget: following Marquess' exit, Gareth Philips & Emma Smithwick both succeeded him as series producers. Philips lasted most of 2011, and Smithwick came in at the tail-end of 2011. By September 2012, Bryan Kirkwood was back. I would not be surprised if Kirkwood was announced to be exiting EastEnders and returning to Hollyoaks by the end of the year.

• Members

That’s true. From what I recall, Gareth Philips brief tenure was widely praised, being parachuted in after the abrupt exit of Paul Marquess, following what was described as a ‘production crisis’ (word might be wrong) centred on the restaurant fire that killed off Steph Dean. He remains the most praised producer between the Kirkwood tenures. I think he was only ever meant to be a placeholder, so imagine the disappointment when he left, and Emma Smithwick’s approach undid a lot of what he did.

This is all from vague memory, so I welcome any corrections.

Edited by LondonScribe

• Members

Really? I thought that was the best that happened to the show. Steph became quite unbearable and annoying with her Prima Donna act. Malachy died too if I remember correctly. 
steph’s death set so many characters free and gave others some progress.

We got Texas, Doug, Costello family, Bart McQueen etc. That made her loss worth it

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/hollyoaks/a44781972/hollyoaks-boss-lucy-allan-leaving/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/23426024/hollyoaks-crisis-bosses-sacked-toxic-lucy-allan/amp/

Welp, I clearly know nothing

Please register in order to view this content

Thing is, there is no obvious option out there to step in. I’ve no reason to think Bryan Kirkwood would jump back in, even for a short stint, Bevan Lee-style at Home and Away in 2004 and 2008. 

I don’t know anything about the current Hollyoaks setup to identify anyone. 

I don’t imagine anyone from the Eastenders or Doctors teams would want to leave to join another.

I imagine fans of Hollyoaks wouldn’t want anyone from the Coronation Street or especially the Emmerdale teams.

The better producers and writers from the last 20 years (Myar-Craig Brown, Alison Davis, Diederick Santer, Kathleen Beedles, Johnathan Young, etc) have all seemingly left the soap world or retired.

Anybody in anyone else’s mind?

Edited by LondonScribe