Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

Fully caught up and wow I can't wait to see the new episode when it turns up on Hulu. 

I am loving the messiness of Lisa/Felix/Martine and am very intrigued by Warren and Felix's past I hope they go deeper into that. 

I like what we have seen of Cher but how incredibly random to add an insta child and have her immediately bond with Goldie like she has been there all along. Even random for this fast paced show. 

Great work by the actors playing Darren and Nancy during Kyle's funeral and Darren opening up to Mandy.

Loved Goldie's new look! But her and Joel continue to feel like filler and I really like them both. Same with Tom and Yazz. 

Still enjoying the show greatly but this is my first time wishing they would trim down the cast despite the great community feeling. I am slightly biased as I mainly enjoy the Deverauxs, Maaliks and McQueens and Nancy's household (can't even remember their last names) but a lot of people have nothing going on for too long.

Edited by soapfave06
Add

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just knew Stephanie Davis wouldn't be returning after her one-year hiatus. Too bad because as an actress she's very watchable and did a good job on the story with her abusive hubby from Home & Away. Now can Ste stay gone as well?
Kyle's suicide story is one of the things HO can pull off so well these days yet never get credit for. Jessica Fox did/is doing such good work, I'm glad they seem to value her.
It sucks to lose Imran Adams so soon but actors seem to want out of this show as soon as possible even when they end up doing little else. I could have done without the Big Little Lies police questioning fast forward scenes.

What's the thing with Joel? Is the actor busy elsewhere because Joel should be a main character. The pairing with Goldie doesn't work, I find her to be the weakest addition in recent years, and had it been me I'd have made the most of the Cleo/Joel pairing.

• Members

No, they just don’t use him. He should be a main character leading story, but when they do use Joel, they often waste him on offensive religious storylines that sees the character jump around from being a priest, to leaving the priesthood, to going back, to converting to the Anglican Church and becoming a vicar. I don’t think they know what to do with him, which is a shame as Joel is a very viable character. 

I’m not sold on Joel/Goldie (or Goldie in general - I am thankful they have gotten rid of that awful red wig that they used to try to pass off as a weave), but I accept them as a couple because I think without Goldie, Joel would be seen even less. He should be hanging out with Brody and Damon, Sylver, mixing it up with them; having more scenes with Warren.

I find the show quite flat at the moment, and the Toby/Celeste plot is awful and dull. Tony/Diane/Edward is also awful and boring, and Edward must be the worst character on the show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The Distinct Nostalgia podcast has a Soap Segment where they interview past and present Soap Stars. Included in this preview of upcoming episodes.

http://distinctnostalgia.buzzsprout.com/650596/5923948-distinct-nostalgia-is-back-here-s-some-autumn-highlights-listen-now

Yasmin Bannerman who played Maddie Parker. The first black main character on Hollyoaks will be a upcoming guest. 

See the source image

Edited by Forever8

• Members

The only story that bothers me is the Deveraux one, and that's only because the actors playing Toby/Celeste/Mitchell are terrible. Toby and Celeste are beautiful though. Happy Mitchell is soon going to be gone.

I'm a sucker for the 7 sins type of story. Convoluted? Yes. But I only started watching again, after I don't even remember how long, since the show returned from hiatus. Coming back to the show, I told myself to just go on the wild, crazy, ridiculous, sometimes cringey ride this show takes me on. I'll still have some complaints, naturally, but I'm pretty into the show.

As for the drugs story, I think it's been great. Other than Victor, who has a shelf-life so I'm not too bothered, all the main actors involved are fantastic. Juliet is fascinating to watch, and Billy Price as Sid is a complete star. Bringing innocent little Ella in has me excited to see more of Mandy. I fear Ella will be the bodybag death though and if so that is one thing that absolutely will piss me off. We don't even know who her father is. I'd make it someone from the past. I don't even know who specifically, just someone.

I don't even mind the Edward story either. I hate him like everyone else, but I'm supposed to hate him. I just wish they'd at least mention Victoria, Tony's mother, in all of this. And the camera loves Verity, the actress has a lot of screen presence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I wonder what happened with the Ollie recast. British soaps never do immediate recasts like that (although they did wait a few weeks) and there is no reason given as to Aedan Duckworth's exit, the show just strangely said he "no longer appears on the show". Has he commented himself?
I liked him a lot but I do like the new Ollie. In his first episode, he even did the random weird smiling of his predecessor, I thought that was a clever way to transition. And the BFF friendship of Imran and Ollie is one of the best things on the show so I'm glad it can go on. I'd just like to say it's crazy how good the casting has gotten on there, when you look at people like Juliet and Sid, there's a true balance of voices, styles and personalities, and I'd hate to see a return to basic casting once Kirkwood leaves. They also found the Nicky actress from Coronation Street first, and in just one episode I wanted to see so much more of her, but she's doing fantastic on Corrie!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...