Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Trying to watch regularly ...

I like both Sienna and Mercede's stories. They are similar yet also very different.

I do appreciate how, sometimes unlike US soaps nowadays, we can understand characters motivations, even if they're bizarre, stupid, etc. Cher is clearly in need of therapy and jealous and threatened by Mercedes on different levels. It's kinda interesting to watch, and then add in toxic social media ...

What do people think of Diane's obsession with staying safe from the pandemic? I like they're touching on it (as well as mixing in good old soap drama) actually. 

Cindy remains stupid. LOL. I knew instantly paying off Ollie to go away would bite her in the ass. She always sabotages herself. Sue is fun. It's a shame she's dying. How many Ollie's is this? The third? 

Mandy/Darren/Nancy is the least interesting to me but I like he got injured by the falling sign. It's time to keep Darren/Nancy together or just end them for good. It feels a bit been there/done that with them quite often.

The most bizarre has to be Sienna/Summer/Brody. Summer is trying to destroy Brody but has the hots for Sienna? Is she sincere with Sienna? It's hard to tell. Seems to be ... looking forward to this one coming to a head.

Sally/Theresa was the comedic combo I never knew I needed. John Paul can wither and die in prison. He can be so frustrating LOL.

I'm liking Denise Welch back on a soap. She's fun as Maxine's awful mother. So Maxine is dating another creepy loser? He's spying on Peri and streaming it? Yikes.

The Sid/Courtney thing was weird.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Meant to add I mixed up Maxine and Trish. Trish is dating Fergus (which was made abundantly clear yesterday LOL). This should go well, no? Trish dating a creepy pervert who spies on young women as she runs a dance studio ...

Edited by KMan101

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm excited to see what Lucy Allan will do with the show as well. I won't watch the promo because I've gone completely spoiler free. I don't even want to know casting decisions. I only know that Zara and Prince are returning and that's it. 

Since she's the one who wrote it, I would die if she referenced the time Theresa was infatuated with Ste. It's certainly possible to come up with Leah and Myra-P being rivals at Trish's dance school.

Speaking of references, a few weeks back when Mercedes was berating Tony, it was such a missed opportunity for the writers not to bring up Mercedes aborting their baby.

And I have to get this off my chest, Gabriel Clark has been serviceable as Oli, but he's nowhere near the talent of Aedan Duckworth. The show was between a rock and a hard place because I do believe Oli had to be recast, but I'll never not miss Aedan in the role.

As for Kirkwood, I'll look back at his time positively at the end of day. Despite his issues, you could tell he genuinely loved the show. It's so easy to hate him for his mistakes, and as many years as he's had that's quite the list, but I still think his triumphs outweigh them. 

• Members

Kirkwood could be dark, twisted and go way too far (and was very kill happy ... several mistakes made here) but he did seem to love the show.

You can see while the structure of the show feels the same, it's less dark. Not a bad thing. I'm still interested in what's going on.

So the take on Lucy Allan seems like she'll do a good job continuing the same pace/feel of the show but how is she regarded generally? I don't feel like I've familiarized myself enough with her.

Clearly she's responsible for bringing back Donna-Marie, Zara and Prince? I'm good with that. Hopefully some more returns to come. Too bad Kirkwood killed so many characters LOL they have to go back 16 years ...

I LOVED Aedan as Olli. He looked perfectly cast as well as Luke's son. The new Olli works but it just isn't the same at all. I'm sorry I'm unaware of why the change took place? I didn't look it up. Did Aedan leave so they recast or was it a choice?

Speaking of Tony/Mercedes, it does seem quite often they forget or ignore places where history should be mentioned and used. I love Hollyoaks but it can definitely put plot over character.

Edited by KMan101

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We don't have the full story as to why Aedan Duckworth exited as Ollie Morgan. All we've been privy to is Hollyoaks announced Duckworth's exit, stating: "Aedan Duckworth is no longer appearing in Hollyoaks and his role has been recast."

Gabriel Clark is cute in the role, but he feels like the child star who cast in the role and someone Duckworth replaced... if that makes sense?

This article (via Digital Spy) details some of Lucy Allan's previous tenure and what it could bring for her current regime.

• Members

Thank you for both articles. I feel good with Allan in charge. Why mess with a stable show? She's already beefing up the families.

I like Gabriel Clark but it's just a different kind of adorableness to him. It works for the character but I miss Aedan and yep it makes sense, the child star Duckworth would replace who's brought back to the role as an adult and it really doesn't work even though it should ... kinda thing. I get it lol. To be fair, the UK soaps do seem to do a decent job at recasting when they have to.