SOD: B&B Revamp?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd like to assume they simply plan on piling on the young characters and focusing on them, but why would that be special? The show definitely has gone through a major transformation in recent months and a bad one. I don't believe Brad Bell was scabbing because the show was so different in tone and while opinions were mixed, I enjoyed Strike!B&B better than the shyt we have now. I miss Pam in particular who I think would make the perfect replacement for Stephanie. She's different enough that she won't be a clone and can be utilized in various different ways. Just in general I'm not pleased with Bradley right now. Sorry, but nuSteffie sucks (I perfer Mauzy, yes I said it!), Marcus sucks, Brandon Beemer sucked on B&B, nuBeth sucks and Katie and Nick suck donkey balls as a couple.

What is there to enjoy on B&B post-strike? One thing I really miss is slow build up to Ashley and Ridge reuniting. I knew Brad had nothing to do with that or the unbias writing for Brooke. Sad, because she was very likable as a flawed person who people could call out on her mistakes. I also loved seeing her as a mother to Rick who I thought she forgot existed for a while. Brooke and Ridge are boring right now and have no momentum. Forget Ashley, just don't put these two together. What's the point? What's the hook this time?

Sylph, what do you think of B&B these days?

• Members

Dear go in heaven!

I don't like the sound of it. The (head)writing is already terrible right now so I just hope it doesn't mean any new fresh faces to the forefront or a MTVfication...

Let's keep our fingers crossed that B&B will just revamp its production model (I could see them going for the film look...) and go on location more often - but soooooooo not GL style.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jul 2 2008, 07:30 PM)
I don't believe Brad Bell was scabbing because the show was so different in tone and while opinions were mixed, I enjoyed Strike!

I hated the Aldenesque strike and according to my sources Brad did not scab.

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jul 2 2008, 07:30 PM)
Sylph, what do you think of B&B these days?

After the "dark and brooding mess" during the strike, it just became worse. Or maybe I got tired of it. I cannot stand a single character on that show. Some I hated since forever, like Ridge, some how become obnoxious in time - like Brooke. Susan Flannery is just bored with the show and they give her no material to work with. As I said some time ago, it seems as if her stage presence has gotten worse - she just doesn't know how to walk, how to appear, she lost any sense of movement.

Eric is a total bore, Taylor might be on the brink of being irreparable as a character, Katie & Nick - :rolleyes:. Very, very soon there will be nothing left for me there. I expect another two or three stunts, those "big" stories Brad tries to get an Emmy with, and in between a whole lot of recycled triangles, boredom and what not.

So, very depressing, but I am not to blame.

EDIT: I forgot to add I hate Pam.

• Members

This show needs an outrageous, unbelievably beautiful and confident female, in her middle 40s for example, with incredible fashion sense and spotless manners.

As it needs a kind of good guy next door, maybe played by Hogestyn, with a f!cked up emotional life.

• Members

They don't need new characters they just need to re-position their existing cast or just plain use all of these people.

As for the pointless debate whether Brad Bell scabbed during the strike: Anyone who watched B&B February-April 08 and has seen this show at least irregularly before KNOWS that it is way too far far-fetched to believe...

I think it is the latter, Sylph.

For some reason post-strike B&B only continued what was bad during the strike. They did not slightly continue to use the slower Alden style build-up. Storywise they dropped crazyass Pam (which admittedly considered too OTT but I LOVED it) or the shockerama of Rick & Taylor to vixen up Brooke which I considered some of the bright spots - or least these which were working for B&B unlike the whole custody battle sh*te which indeed was "dark & broody" and totally un-B&B at least in its executed manner.

• Members

No. I am not saying that. I am saying I heard differently. So rain1 might be right, I might be right. There is no conclusive evidence to support either of the two statements.

And do not try to affect (negatively) my relationship with rain1. :P We are friends of old and understand each other very well. :DB) Which isn't to say there won't be disagreements.

But have in mind that scabbing means writing only one word during the strike. Just one is enought to make you a scab.

• Members

Hmm ... I guess the little changes they had today wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, it seems like retooling the show around the Logans might part of this "revamp." I'm so tired of their microwave-ready (pop it in, heat for 30 sec., then pop it out) DRAMA right now.

• Members

For the female, don't you think it could be Judith Chapman's Gloria Abbott? I REALLY REALLY REALLY think she could front Spectra and make it great (in story) again.

For US viewers, click the same-day episode link here (CBS will not allow the video to be embedded).

For critical moments, watch at:

0:01, 3:16, and 4:19 to get a sense of what people are talking about--exteriors and rocky fast cuts. That this coincides with Beemer's arrival is likely not an accident. This is actually a highly appropriate style change for an LA-set soap...I am definitely down with that.

You know what...if the writing is good, and the show is still rooted in its' history and core families, I can go with this. But, it will not give the show a "soul".

But I realized something today...if B&B wants to continue showing us (as it has since 1987) people with adolescent romantic behavior...the least they can do is feature adolescents behaving thus. That. already, is an improvement over the aged mess (and I'm a gerontologist!!) we have been getting.

• Members

It looks more like a sitcom, for some reason all these fast cuts and rocky music, partnered with zooming into the windows of the house where the scenes are taking place...reminds me of Drake & Josh...I can see they're trying to go for a look of The Hills (what, we now have two CBS daytime soaps trying to look like The Hills? What next, Colleen and Lily hitting Genoa City's equivalent of Le Deux?), but unless you're going to invest in really expensive footage and have the quality of the actual episodes match up, then dont even bother...also, I think if they were to use actual music from the charts it would fit B&B more than any other soap.

I dont see why they feel the need to change this, of all things, when the storylines are in the crapper, but it least it shows B&B is trying to modernise...now, if they could only get away from that telenovela look with the bad close ups etc....

Archived