SOD: B&B Revamp?

• Members

Awww, Mary Williams! Proud titleholder of soaps' most boring name.

I'll never forget her giving Isabella the evil eye at Ricky's christening and haranguing Paul on his choice of mate. LML totally excised her from the canvas, along with other parts of the show that troll couldn't be bothered to understand.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:lol: You didn't think I said that because I wanted you to call me suave, too - did you? :lol: Honestly, I'm a Cricket fan. Instead of :) should have put :P. ;)

Wheat-coloured hair. B) Is that natural? Or if anyone know which hair dye she uses, let me know!

Why? :unsure:

• Members

Just going on supposition here, my sweet Sylph, but -- your penchant for EastEnders. Your correct spelling of the word "coloured." Your love of "Cricket" (the sport or the bug?). :lol: You must be one of the world's keenest anglophiles. Or Canadian. :)

• Members

Wrong! Haven't you noticed I pretty much always use British spelling? Just one of my quirks.

So... I'm not Canadian, I like Cricket (the bug and the Bug), I hate the sport... Am I forgetting something?

• Members

Between all this flirtation between Sylph and you, I feel totally left out. And a menage à trois isn't what I had in mind... ;)

To answer the Cricket comment: Hated her pretty much with her 80s stories (Always cheered for Nina when she stuck it to Cricket who never seemed to care and still played MissGoodyTwoShoes LOL) and especially Danny Smarmalotti. Beginning mid-90s though: I became a heartfelt Paul&Chris-shipper, I also loved her getting taunted by Phyllis as "La Bug". The later Kay Alden years cemented this because she shipped Chris off for several months instead of Bill Bell's constant Crickettery making me really miss St. Pristine. Nina and Chris had one of the most wonderful soap friendships ever. Sigh, those were the days!

• Members

Well, then, you can't be British if it's just a "quirk"! I'll go with anglophile. Aficionado of fine literature, warm beer and brandy, fine cigars, pie-and-mash, tweed and dogs. :P

Sheilaforever, you and I have been posting for so long on the same board(s), you could never be left out. :) I love teasing Sylph and reading his posts is all.

BTW, why the name "Sylph"? (Sheilaforever, I'm assuming your name is self-explanatory). Like the sylphid?

I never "got" the Paul/Christine love but it was so long ago... perhaps I need to check out old episodes and reacquaint myself with it. I did love the (unexpected) friendship between Cricket and Nina, though.

I thought Jack Smith was the one who banished Bug on the back of focus group reaction which pushed for Michelle Stafford to be given a bigger role on the show.

• Members

I would have agreed with you, if I hadn't recently read about the dramatic decline in younger viewers across the whole of US TV. There was a feature in the Media Guardian, on Monday, which outlined the big 5 network's age appeal. One Tree Hill is one the few shows that still garners the twenty-somethings, while most reach an age range of 40-55. The viewers are older, not younger. I can't really see how B&B can pull in the younger crowd, even in the summer, with what they've got. The only way to for B&B to achieve this, is if they incorporate some form of exclusive online material, which could entice them to tune in live.

I love the camera zoom ins and the overly dramatic music - they're apart of B&B, just like fashion is. I wouldn't say that DH is a show that they should aspire to be, or look up to, especially in the music department. I hate the monotonous of what seems to be their only two pieces. B&B does great background music; it's one area that doesn't need fixing, or changing in anyway.

He's called Owen! In my previous post, I called him Trent! Seriously, WTH was I thinking?

Bypassing that faux pas, it's interesting that you should mention the lack of sexual diversity. I'm not sure how common knowledge this is (if it even is), but they were going to do the gay thing with Storm, last year. He was going to be paired with a Forrester (Duh - no Logan can go without seducing a Forrester, gay or straight!), but they pulled out at the eleventh hour. The unofficial word is that it was done to focus group pressure. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make by mentioning this, is that they had the idea to go down this route, just not the gumption to follow through, and with that, I can actually see them trying it again, just not right now.

Why do people think that Sylph is a guy? Unless I've missed the point where "he" has said he's a he, then what I'm about to say will be utter rubbish. I've always thought that Sylph is a girl. Simply because "sylph" means slender graceful girl, and I don't know any guy who would pick a name that is associated with being a woman. But, now that you mention it, it could mean sylphid, something that I hadn't thought of until now.

I kinda thought that Sylph is American, who has spent time in England - hence the quirkiness of using English spelling. It's interesting that she said "British English", which is quite specific, instead of being more general and saying non-American English. And maybe I'm just reading way too much into it. :lol:

Oh, and just to confuse you, my name is not self explanatory. ;)

• Members

Storm was going to be gay? :o Sigh. The hot ones always are!

I would have thought that given the large number of women on B&B (and the Stephanie/Brooke vibe that has powered the show for 20+ years, but that's a whole other story), TPTB would have gone down the route of pairing two females. I wondered if they weren't testing Felicia & Ashley for a while. Of course, I also thought Storm would stay on the show and start romancing either of these two women, and that he would have made a gentle-yet-intense counterweight to Nick 'n Rigid. :lol: My bad!

I assumed Sylph was female, too, precisely because of the name. But then everybody started referring to Sylph as "he," so I figured somebody knew something I didn't and to just go with it! Besides, the net allows everybody to be enigmatic when they want to be, no?

:lol: I guess "Ben" doesn't refer to Clive Robertson's character on Sunset Beach, then!

Archived