Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

Didn't Cooper go for a while and then return briefly and he had found another woman? Then he came back briefly on The City? I can't remember.

I wish I could see those scenes with Stacey and Ava.

I was reading an October 1984 Digest and Patty Lotz is in so much of it...she and Perry Stephens are mentioned as one of the hot new couples (onscreen), she's interviewed in a gossip section; in the issue before that they'd used a sexy-type photo of her in their recap. I wonder exactly when or why ABC chose to recast. It seemed sudden.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Roya Megnot took over in early October 1984. Here what I found in a review:

"When « Loving » began it’s new time period last week, actress Patty Lotz had been replaced by newcomer Roya Megnot in the role of Ava Rescott. This falls into one of those categories of “who cares?” They seem pretty indistinguishable to the viewer, and one is just as good (or just as bad) as the other.

On the other hand, one the more interesting young female characters seen on soaps recently is former Galahad Club member Gina Daniels played by Annabelle Gurwich on “Guiding Light.” Both actress and character have made such a strong impression on “GL” viewers that, although she’s not a contract player, she will be seen frequently in the coming months. Of her popularity continues, she will undoubtedly be offered a contract."

Short Soap Takes, The Gettysburg Times, Oct. 12. 1984

• Members

Finally got the chance to watch the episode saynotoursoap posted.

I was surprised to see it was credited to Ralph Ellis. I had thought Nixon had lasted until the summer of 1987, but I guess I was wrong. Does anyone know when Ellis arrived?

I thought the opening teaser with Lottie in the car was effective played to the tune of 'Why Do Fools Fall in Love.' I also liked the use of Chris de Burgh's 'Lady in Red' at the Rescott home, a set I don't believe I'd seen before. I know SoapNet always claimed it avoided 'Santa Barbara' and later 'Ryan's Hope' because of music rights. I wonder if 'Loving' presented a similar situation?

Eban Japes seemed very different in this clip from the man who was threatening to ruin Lottie / Curtis' wedding in the promos and later shot up Steve and Trisha's wedding.

Was this a Friday episode? Tony had been working as Alden handyman and was suddenly unmasked as a doctor. I can just see the dollar signs in Ava's eyes as I type this. BTW, I thought the stuff with Ava and the Corinth Arms was awkward in the way Ben / Marina would have awkward conversations about money on 'Guiding Light.' I didn't think it seemed realistic, but maybe others would disagree.

Regarding turnover, a year from this episode only Trisha, Ava, and Kate would still be around.

• Members

I think Steve may have been around too, but just barely.

Eban and Lottie both seemed very different to me. She seemed much less of a victim.

I thought the show looked great - much better than I had expected. I especially liked some of the details of the sets, like Nick's place. The flashback was cheesy as hell though.

• Members

You can find some of the Dolly story in the 1985 and 1986 synopses I posted. Essentially she was coerced into a sexual relationship with a man who lied to her that her long-lost child was being sexually exploited and that if she kept sleeping with him he would help her find and save the child.

• Members

Ugh, sounds like one of Agnes' definie missfires.

Watching the 1987 episode posted, it really seems a lot better than the impression I got. The production values are much better than I expected, and the acting and writing definitely at least solid. I see this was by the time Ralph Ellis took over, but I guess Agnes had left sometime that same year, so many of the characters could have been her creation.

• Members

I'd be surprised if she didn't write the story or early stuff for Eban Japes, given that she created a similar character for Cowles on AMC.

Some pages back I posted a photo and quote from "Lotty Bird" and a ton of synopses, if you haven't read them. I also have an interview with Cowles from 1987 somewhere on my computer, if you want to see it.