Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

Eban turned out to be a real headcase, and I think he took Ned hostage, but I don't remember now. Lotty broke free of him to marry Curtis but I guess it didn't end well for Lotty.

I know that printing them out must be difficult when I have posted a lot of them out of order. I'm sorry about that.

I have some more, I'm just waiting until more people have caught up with what I put earlier.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

May 26, 1992 Digest, and November 2, 1993 Update.

I don't know much about this Staige character. I still wonder why they didn't hold onto Howarth.

I wonder if they had any other Loving fan meets before the show was taken off.

SOD52692001.jpg

SOU11293001.jpg

• Members

I slightly remember Howarth on it, but never had any idea he was meant to be a fairly major addition. That said, whatever one thinks about the actual actors, the idea to bring back students and Alden U (Addie Walsh's idea I take it) was a very smart one, i think. I kinda remember Staige too but again just barely. But my memories are a bit muddled, I know Cooper's secret was sexual abuse but can't even remember who had abused him... And then Steffi came fairly soona fter.

GREAT interview with Cowles. Had no idea all hsi theatre background or the Baranski connection...

And yeah, I'd never even heard of any Loving fan events. I remember back at the time I started regularly buying SODs (which I swear I saved but have been unable to find), and was always so annoyed at how little, often nothing, there would be about Loving.

• Members

Hey,

I want to know what was the story behind the "heroine's addiction to cough syrup?" Was it Ava? Trisha? When did this happened? Was it a dropped storyline?

Also, I loved this show because of the Loving Murders. This was before I realized it was getting canceled. My mom and I would watch it because it was so good and then we would watch AMC afterwards. I never watched The City growing up but I did see clips on youtube.

And I would love to see some clips of Bryan Cranston on Loving. Loves him on Breaking Bad and 3 straight Emmys are proof of his talent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

1992 wasn't a good year for 'Loving.' I think there were three different headwriters. Mary Ryan Munisteri started the year. Addie Walsh was hired to write the college revamp only for Haidee Granger to fire her. Granger ghost write the summer of 1992, which was pretty much a mess. Then, Guza and Taggert arrived in the fall. I think there 1992-1993 work won them a WGA award, which I find shocking since the plotting during this time wasn't strong. There seemed to be some highly comical stuff involving Ava / Dinahlee and Shana's insemination, but the Curtis / Tess backstory was a clusterf#$#.

I think the belfry story was one of Millee Taggert / Robert Guza's first major stories when they arrived. It ended a long string of drama between Trisha / Trucker. After losing Tommy to Abril, Trucker ended up having an affair with Dinahlee, while Trisha was pregnant with their child. Then, Trisha developed feelings for Giff, who had been her mother's paramour. Then there was a custody battle for baby Christopher. After this, Giff kidnapped Christopher and put him up for adoption for a few weeks only for him to go psycho and kidnap Trisha. It was at the belfry that it all ended, and Trisha and Trucker were heading towards happiness.

Originally, it appeared as if Trucker would hook up with Stacey, but this was quickly nixed. Stacey enter a drugged induced marriage to Clay and was saved by Jeremy Hunter, her new love interest. I wonder if they knew Noelle was leaving so they let Trucker / Trisha have some final moments of happiness.

• Members

Interesting article. It sounds like most of the show was pretty well thought out when Marland came aboard, and that Nixon contacted him immediately when she learned about leaving 'Guiding Light.' I guess there was some more overlap between 'Loving' and 'New Day in Eden' than I had previously thought.

It's also interesting to see Meg Mundy listed as Isabelle. I know she appeared in the pilot, but I thought she was a stand in because Augusta Dabney wasn't available. I wonder why Mundy was bounced. There are definitely moments under Marland where Isabelle seemed colder than the character I've encounter in the clips online.

• Members

saynotoursoap was generous enough to upload the first episode of The City.

I had mixed feelings on The City at the time - I missed Loving, so I didn't really watch until close to the last months. I do remember some of the premiere. Nothing really seems to happen and some of the shots are too "cute" (like Ally rollerblading around the loft office), but I like some moments, such as Jacob showing us Angie's office. I also like the scenes with Sydney and the homeless man - having her keep his money was kind of a gutsy choice and I like how Morgan Fairchild plays this. I wish they'd done this type of thing more often with her and characters who weren't in her social circle.

I still think Nick Rivers was Roscoe Born's best soap role.

I'll never understand why they did what they did with Frankie a few months into the show.

Ted King really overacts here, which I think one of the soap columnists mentioned at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np3lTvqKSYk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSMc4HXgmSk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

• Members

I showed the posted Bryan Crantson episode to my best friend who normally doesn't watch soap operas. She was pretty much hooked. When Agnes Nixon is good she is exceptionally good. I always wanted the show to come on SOAPnet. I am still intrigued about who was the heroine hooked on cough syrup. Was it Ava? Tricia? Stacey?