Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What do you think about Jane? Where you're at, Jane and Brick will be leaving town shortly so they probably don't have much screen time left. I cannot help but think that I know someone in real life who is just like Jane as far as looks and demeanor and everything but I can't put my finger on it. I know this is super random but wanted to share

• Members

The actress playing Jane is/was also named Jane, Jane Sibbett, who went on to play Carol Willick #2 (as Anita Barone played her when Carol announced her pregnancy!), Ross Geller's ex-wife, on Friends!

Edited by Wendy

• Members

I like Jane a LOT more once they mellowed her out. She was too grating in the beginning. And the Roxanne BS was just the "S" part of those initials. I feel like Jane and Brick came from out of the blue. One day, he's almost kissing Santana and gets arrested. Santana tells Cruz, you have to help him. Then, BAM it's all about Jane and Santana has vanished into the ether. That could have been a decent triangle. Brick torn between the two. At least for a minute let him have emotions. I know they were working a triangle with Mason, but that wasn't a successful one because no one cared about Tori. People did care about Brick. Santana had some redemption with Brick. And I don't know what they thought about Jane. 

• Members

So, here are my problems with Pamela. One- Marj Dusay was CLEARLY the best option, but we weren't allowed to have her at the beginning. Two- she isn't menacing or conniving enough. She isn't even vanilla. Vanilla has more flavor. Three- instead of making Pamela the bad guy, they decided to change Sophis and make her the heavy. Four- to be effective, there should have been something likeable about her. Five- total lack of chemistry between SF and Jed. Six- Sophia already won once, why would she be insecure? Seven- it would have been so much better to have Pammie be a coniver, or full Elena pyscho that gaslights or kidnaps Sophia.

• Members

I don't know why, but Pearl's accent really bothers me. It sounds like he is a New Englander trying to speak with a Midwestern accent. Is this how the actor speaks in real life? I guess I should YouTube some interviews with him.

So I just read Robert Thaler's interview again on the French Santa Barbara site. It struck me again that he was thankful for Jill Farren Phelps and her contribution to the show. I have read so many things about her over the years - both positive and negative, that she ruined so many shows she touched as well as was so instrumental in just as many shows. I suppose you can't please everyone, but what's the consensus on her here?

Edited by Lex S

• Members

Well, the character Pearl IS a Northeasterner trying to have a Midwestern accent. Not sure what Robert Thayer really sounds like.

JFP- can't stand her. I know. I know. I know she was in charge for the entire run of 2 of the 3 Best Soap emmys. I know. But to be completely honest- those aren't my favorite years. Especially right when she took over. 88 is NOT this show at it's best. And you really don't want to hear my thoughts about what she did to Another World. I think that certain people in charge think she's dreamy, but I don't care for her stories. 

I also think the Dobsons got a bum wrap throughout their first tenure. When you read interviews, biographies, etc, the Network and Studio had their grubby hands all over this show from the beginning. (I'm looking at you, idiot suit that told Jed Allan he wasn't right for the part.) Things that weren't the Dobson's idea: Not hiring Jed Allan when he first auditioned. Killing Mary. Hiring Sally F as Pamela. These are just off the top of my head. I'm not an expert. I'm sure others can add to the list.