90210: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

90210: Shannen Doherty to Direct Musical

It's official. Shannen Doherty is coming to the CW's 90210 spinoff for multiple episodes this fall, and according to Executive Producer Gabe Sachs, "She's going to direct our musical."

But wait, before you 90-diehards start planning your trip to Broadway to see Steve Sanders in spandex with jazz hands, you should know he meant Shannen's character Brenda, will play the director of West Beverly High's musical--on the show within the show.

Still, pretty awesome, no?

Not to mention, this could mean that Katie Holmes won't be the only TV guest star this season displaying her musical talents. I asked exec producer Jeff Judah if Shannen will be singing or dancing and he said, "It's possible. It's possible."

So where has Brenda been since we last saw her heading off to London to study acting?

According to the See-Dub, "Brenda became a successful theater actress, splitting her time between London and New York....West Beverly Hills High School has approached Walsh to return as a guest director for the school’s musical production."

According to producers, Shannen, Tori Spelling and Jennie Garth are the only ones who've been approached so far to return. "Those are the three," says Sachs. "We’d welcome the others if there was something appropriate that organically fit in with our stories, but we haven’t spoken to them yet."

And executive producer Jeff Judah says they do still have a deal with Tori. "She is exhausted from having the baby and when she’s up for it, she’ll be on the show."

Also:

* The Peach Pit has transitioned into a "hip coffee house" like the Urth Café, and there is a club upstairs. As exec producer Jeff Judah joked, "It's not going to be like [in the old show], 'Hey it's Color Me Badd!' "

* Per Judah, many of the show's real-world lavish lifestyle locations (shopping on Robertson Blvd., etc.) will already be familiar to viewers by way of The Hills and the pages of Us Weekly. He told us, "The audience has become more sophisticated...from following celebrity gossip."

* Quote of the Moment: "The difference between Lucille Bluth and Tabitha is that Lucille likes vodka and Tabitha likes Scotch." — Jessica Walter, formerly of Arrested Development and now of 90210, on what distinguishes her two recent TV characters

Stand by for more 90 dish closer to the big Sept. 2 premiere. In the meantime, what do you think of Brenda's latest turn and the possibility of others returning?

E! Link

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

90210: Kelly and Brenda Reunited!

After a 14 year break, Jennie Garth and Shannen Doherty have shot thieir first scenes together as Kelly Taylor and Brenda Walsh for the CW's new 90210(premiering September 2)---and the stage has been set for fireworks. The setup finds Kelly's new beau, English teacher Ryan Mathews(Ryan Eggold), at Kelly's door with bouquet of flowers to apologize for an earlier flub. When he presses the bell---ding-dong, who answers but Brenda Walsh in the flesh! She's babysitting Kelly's 4-year old son.

So how was the reunion for the old rivals? Jennie tells me the two exchanged a "quick hug and a hello" in the van on the way to the set. "It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm not much of a small talker, and I don't think she is either. I was a little nervous because I hadn't seen or talked to her in 14 years. Everyone was making it out to be such a big deal that I think we both fell prey to having that affect us."

Ryan, who introduced himself to Shannen in her trailer, describes the encounter between the women as "very interesting. Everybody was on pins and needles and sort of waiting to see how they'd react. They started off kind of tentative, but by the time we were five takes in, they were giggling and seemed to be reconnecting."

Her real-life on-set fistfight with Shannen is now ancient history, Jennie is cautiously optimistic about their future. "I think it will be OK," she tells me. "We're both grown women, both professionals. Once we were working it felt like a good fit."

As for the drama between their characters, Jennie says, "There might be underlying tension from history[all that squabbling over Dylan McKay], but I think both of them have probably let that go. They're close enough for Kelly to let her babysit her son, so they must be friends."

But perhaps not for long. Ryan says that when he meets Brenda, "She tells me I have nice eyes, we have this moment of awkwardness in the air." Hmmm.....

Jennie is just disappointed that close pal Tori Spelling is missing out on the fun after quitting last week, reportedly over her costars higher pay checks. "I know that Shannen probably doesn't share the feelings that I have for Tori, but I love her like my sister," Jennie told me as she fought back tears while driving on the freeway. She's encouraging fans to launch a Bring Back Donna Martin campaign.

But it seems the 90210 writers have already moved on. The plan had been to give Donna her own clothing line and store, which executive producer Gave Sachs says would have required Donna "to travel to Europe a lot." Now, in the third episode, a new character will be introduced with a trendy boutique of her own, meaning poor Donna may be stuck in Europe indefinitely.

From TV Guide, reported by William Keck

Archived