90210: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though I think the original 90210 was generally a crappy show about pretty people with problems, I did like it much better after Brenda left. I liked how trashy it got once Val came on, the show literally went from being regular cheese to pepperjack cheese. :lol:

I might be in the minority, but I think the show got on better without Brenda, and ratings actually rose without her, though 90210 was never a huge ratings success, but it was a success for Fox at the time.

• Members

I totally agree, but for some reason, seasons 5 to 7 are my favourites. I can't stand the last few seasons and I hated the early years.

The early years threw teen cliches so overtly at the face of the audience week after week. They handled the typical teen social story in such sappy and movie of the week-esque way.

However, the sensationalism of the show once Val came on wore off for me somewhere in season 8.

• Members

I actually prefer the earlier, cheesier seasons to the latter ones. Mainly because I love episodic shows. But I will say s5 was pretty damn good until the last 10 episodes(Dylan seeing visions of his past life? Kelly and the lesbian stalker? Andrea having an affair? Val whoring it up with all the men of Beverly Hills? Seriously WTF were the smoking when they wrote all that bull s.hit?).

• Members

I never saw any similarities between 90210 and Degrassi. Degrassi (in all its incarnations) was/is so gritty and real, 90210 was a lot more sappy and saccharine to me. I always got the feeling that the writers and producers of Degrassi thoroughly researched the social issues they dealt with, whereas 90210 gave characters drug addictions and child abuse for the sake of giving them. 90210 and Melrose Place were so fluffy, and a lot of the time their portrayal of certain issues was so horrendous and so poorly researched. Also, DeGrassi always had better diversity and a more organic group of characters, I didn't find any of that on 90210.

However, I understood why 90210 switched to a more campy and trashy format from season 5 onwards. The characters were no longer teens, they had to find something to do with them. What better way than to trash it up? :)

I always loved Valerie Malone though, mainly becuse she hated Kelly so much, and I NEVER could stand Kelly. Val might have been a bitch and a whore, but she didn't walk around thinking she was high and mighty like Kelly.

• Members

Sometimes trainwrecks are fun to watch. :)

My older sister would watch the show from time to time and I would watch it with her sometimes. I didn't watch 90210 because I wanted to see high-end drama, I just accepted it as fluff and something that tried to entertain, not change the world. In my opinion, it's a not a very good show, but it's watchable for me, the middle seasons at least. I loved the trashy nature and I liked Val in the beginning.

• Members

^^ I understand what you're saying. But honestly I wouldn't watch a show I thought was c r a p. I have a hard time keeping up with the shows I do watch because of my "personal schedule", so I wouldn't waste my time on a show like that. Like for example Lost. I liked season 1, after that it just got lost (hehe). So I got that one of my list. It's just not worth it for me.

Archived