90210: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ohmigod we agree? Well actually I prob liked 90210 more than you but seeing ads on tv that say things liek "it was the show that defined a generation" or interviews where new cast members say about the old show that it was groundbreaking because it dealt with teen probs in realistic ways, etc... I dunno I just don't get the appeal and this show to me feels like a generic youth show in the Hidden palms style with the old 90210 elements added as windowdressing--the main reason I'm watching is I was a fan of most of Veronica Mars and Rob Thomas (sp?) is involved

• Members

I dont expect this show to be a big hit.. or a dreat drama really.

But if its okay or even good, and has teen melodrama im sold. I watch it knowing what to expect. I just hope its *nothing* like the original because it sucks, esp the highs chool/college seasons.

Im pretty much excited because of S. Grimes, whom i loved on Degrassi:TNG as Darcy

• Members

That was why I wanted to see it — Rob Thomas.

However, the original was so bad, it was a crime it endured all that time. I hated it then, I hate it even more now. Everything from the preachy stories, to bad casting and terrible dialogue — it plain sucked all the way. Awful.

• Members

Rigth part of my prob with it is for much of its run it seemed to want to have it bothw ays--try to tell "responsible"/preachy stories, etc, yet also be a "beautiful young people do things teens wouldn't do" guilty pleasure. At least soon after Darren Star with Melrose and Central Park West and even Sex and the City didn't try to pretend he wasn't forming completley escapist tv (granted for some of its first year Melrose Place laughably seemed to want to be a similarly preachy "lesson a week" show but aimed at 20somethings)

• Members

Well no i doubt she will go from jesus freak to raped to sluttin it up to trying to kill herself a few times to in love in 2 years - but thats because no teen show can ever touch what degrassi does. She also was lucky and they molded her after the 'Paige' char and got all the great stuff.

tho to be honest 90210 was kinda groundbreaking, even tho it sucked, because it did deal with things other shows wouldnt touch. they just delt them with a pretty package and bow by the end of the hour.

Tahts why i love it after they are out of school. and Kelly becomes an addict, and Val is a slut, and its not preachy anymore.

• Members

WHen it left College didn't it purposefully try to be a bit more like Melrose?

Anyway when 90210 premiered the Canadian media was VERY vocal that they were just doing what the orgiinal Degrassi did for years but in a (much) prettier package--I geuss there's some truth to that in terms of subjects like teen suicide, et cetc

• Members

I grew up watching the original series and so did practically everyone I know, and we all loved it! We still watch the re-runs from time to time and it's such a blast from the past. That's probably one of the main reasons why I'm gonna watch this show. If it turns out to be a good show, then great.

BH 90210 was also a big hit in Europe, actually I think it was bigger here then in the US.

I don't think the show was preachy, I wouldn't have watched it if it was. Yes there were preachy characters such as Donna, Jim and Cindy. But the show? No. Kelly was pretty b!tchy back in the days and later became an addict and associated herself with a sect, so I don't count her in that category.

Btw. You can't compare SATC with BH 90120. They're totally different shows.

Archived