90210: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If they do want the older cast back, who do you think would agree to return?

Ian Ziering and Tori Spelling are total publicity hogs, so I'm sure they'll sign on in a second to bring back Steve and Donna. But I'm wondering if they're significant others will return. Lindsey Price (Janet) has her own show, Lipstick Jungle on NBC, and I think that's doing well, so I don't see her coming on. What's Brian Austin Green up to these days? The last time I saw him, he was on that show with Freddie Prinze Jr. So David may return. He could be West Beverly High's new music teacher. Idea! :D

Gabrielle Carteris, I could see signing on. She hasn't done much and seems to take whatever she can get to be back on television. I just saw her in an interview with one of the entertainment shows, talking about an injury that let her face paralyzed, but I think she said she's okay now. And if you remember, in the finale, Andrea returned and announced that she and Jesse divorced. Perhaps Andrea moved back to Beverly Hills after gaining custody of Hannah in a custody battle with Jesse. Someone mentioned that Hannah would be around 14 right now, which means she'd just be entering high school. And hell, Andrea could be a teacher. Idea! :D

And honestly, the only other person that I could see signing on and would have a reasonable role, considering this is about the next generation of Beverly Hills, would be Jennie Garth as Kelly. Kelly's little sister Erin would be around 16 right now, so Kelly still has a connection to the new cast, if Erin is part of the new cast, that is. I don't know if I like the idea of Kelly and David's parents dying so that Kelly can raise Erin. I'd rather see Erin deal with having grown up in a divorced parent surrounding, just like Kelly did. And I want to see Kelly and her mother get into it over how Jackie is raising Erin, and how Kelly fears Erin is going to turn out just like her, but only worse. That would be awesome!

As for anyone else, I don't see anyone else being a part of this show, in a regular capacity. Jason Priestley, Shannen Doherty, Luke Perry, Tiffani Thiessen and Vanessa Marcil, I only see coming on in cameos, if at all. Aside from the fact that they've all "made it" more than the other actors and actresses I mentioned, none of their characters really have a connection to the show anymore. Brandon and Brenda left Beverly Hills before the season finale. Dylan does have a younger sister, but she was entering her teen years when the show was still airing, so she wouldn't still be in high school. Valerie wouldn't have a connection other than just being a bitch to be a bitch. I guess Gina has Donna and David, but still, I don't Marcil signing onto this. If anything, I'd say we'd get special guest apparences from these guys.

So that leaves us with Steve, Donna, David, Andrea and Kelly being logically connected to this show. You don't want to have too many of the old cast as part of the show, because in all reality, it's not about them. It's about the new generation. They're just going to be on the show to support the younger cast and give the show a sense of familiarty. That doesn't mean they can't have some stories of their own. Just look at Degrassi: The Next Generation. Spike, Snake, Joey and Caitlin all have had their own stories while being part of the supporting adult cast.

This is so much like Degrassi, and something I've been wanting to see for years now. I so hope this works out and that they bring on some of the older cast back. It juts makes sense.

Wow, I'm seriosuly contemplating creating my own little 90210 spin off with my own ideas. :D

• Administrator

I hope Jennie is involved too! 15 years later and I still have a crush on her. :wub:

Bringing back Erin and Hannah is a great idea. 90210: The Next Generation. LOL

I think Jason Priestley should come back a a director and producer.

• Members

Has anyone noticed that this would West Beverly High's Class of 93's 15 year reunion. I'm sensing a premise for the pilot episodes. And it would be a great way to get the old cast back together, at least for that first episode.

• Members

New DETAILS

'90210' spinoff details emerge

Planned show will focus on the Mills family

By JOSEF ADALIANThe CW still hasn't greenlit its planned spinoff of "Beverly Hills, 90210" -- but details of the script are starting to leak out.

According to reports on casting breakdowns and TVTracker.com, the new take on the Aaron Spelling-Darren Star sudser will focus on the Mills family of BevHills and offer a lot more racial diversity than the original show.

Matriarch of the family is Tabitha Mills, a 60-something actress/alchoholic who was a major star in the 1970s and had been linked to everyone from Warren Beatty to Jack Nicholson. After her latest bout at Betty Ford, Tabitha decides to try to live on her own in her BevHills estate.

Worried for his mom's safety, do-gooder son Harrison "Harry" Mills, a 1980s graduate of Beverly Hills High, decides to move back home to the 90210 after years in St. Louis. He brings with him his wife, Celia, an Olympic athlete who's looking forward to living in Cali, and ends up working as a personal trainer.

The couple have two 16-year-olds: Daughter Annie and adopted son Dixon. Annie is an emo/theater kid who's desperate to fit in with the cool crowd. Dylan, er, Dixon is a supersmart bad boy who has lingering social and behavioral issues -- and not an ounce of nerdiness in him.

According to the breakdowns, producers are open to actors of all ethnicities for the Dixon role, leaving open the possibility that the character won't be a white male.

As for the other teen denizens in the new "90210," writer Rob Thomas has also come up with:

Silver, aka Daphne Silver, a wannabe socialite who hosts her own YouTube series. She becomes good pals with Annie and has a crush on Dixon (as well as the only Jewish girl at BevHills High with a black boyfriend -- another hint that producers are considering making Dixon's character non-white).

Max Silver, Daphne's 24-year-old brother, is a working man who manages the family movie theater at the Century City Mall (the new show's version of the Peach Pit, perhaps?) He seems forever on the verge of a nervous breakdown and appears to be harboring some secrets.

"90210" geeks will note the Silvers share the same last name as the character played by Brian Austin Green in the original series.

Navid Shirazi produces the high school's student-run video newscast and is of Middle Eastern descent. He's the consummate high school politician.

Ethan Ward is a likable jock who falls out of favor with the "in" crowd and ends up hanging with the "90210" crew.

Naomi Bennett is Ethan's super-hot, ultra-rich ex-girlfriend. She appears to be a brat but will end up having more layers.

(Michael Schneider contributed to this report).

• Members

great. another teen drama. that's exactly what tv needs. and the diversity angle? yeah right!

madtv spoofed dawson's creek/90210 etc. with a skit called "pretty white kids with problems".

that's exactly what the 90210 spinoff will be like, another oc, gossip girl piece of crap.

• Members

What Hollywood Reporter is saying:

Breakdown sheds light on new "90210"

By Nellie Andreeva

Meet the Mills, the three-generational Beverly Hills clan at the center of the CW's contemporary "Beverly Hills, 90210" spinoff. A detailed breakdown for the pilot released Monday night sheds more light on the plot and the characters of the untitled show, which is being written by Rob Thomas.

Like the original "90210," the spinoff revolves around a family with two teen kids the same age -- a boy and a girl -- who recently moved from the Midwest to Beverly Hills. But this time, the dad, Harry Mills, is a Beverly Hills High alum who moved after graduation and settled in East St. Louis. He is forced to come back when his 1970s movie star mother's alcohol problem gets out of control. Joining him are his wife, Celia, a former Olympic medalist; biological daughter Annie; and adopted son Dixon.

The breakdown includes five other characters, four of them 16-year-old students at Beverly Hills High. None of them seems directly related to any of the characters on the original series, however, 16-year-old Daphne Silver and her twentysomething brother, Max Silver, share the same last name as David Silver (Brian Austin Green), who married Donna Martin (Tori Spelling) in the original "90210" series finale. Although Max may be too old to be David's son, it nevertheless is intriguing that he and his sister live alone in a mansion as their parents have been "on a cruise" for as long as anyone can remember.

The spinoff also reflects the current realities at Beverly Hills High, where about 40% of the students are of Persian descent: One of the students is named Navid Shirazi.

To get the high-profile project ready for the network's upfront in May, CW and producing studio CBS Paramount Network TV opted to begin casting before the script has been completed, a practice also employed by other networks during the abbreviated post-strike pilot season. Mark Piznarski is set to direct the "90210" spinoff's pilot, which, according to the breakdown, is eyeing an April 3 production start date.

Archived