Official Pre-Nom List

SoapQueen89

• Members

wow. i really am shcoked by a few things. GL & AMC only having two lead actress. Passions having no lead actors, and only two in supporting. beth e from GL and emily h from passions were robbed.

and of course the faces of the soaps - dee hall, erika s, susan l - in lead is wrong and becky & am in supporting is also wrong.

but i must say all in all this is one of the better lists i have seen in years.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Kendall" was most certainly not the star all year long. As a matter of fact, she was window dressing right up until mid July. The year began with the 'Satin Slayer' storyline in which she was in a supporting role to Thorsten Kaye. Then she floated around with Erica and Jack's separation and Bianca's relationship with Zoe. Next came trying to save Fusion but that story was all about Greenlee's return to Pine Valley, followed by trying to prevent Greenlee from ruining Ryan and Annie's wedding, dealing with Greenlee's threats to send Zach to jail for the Blackout, and Greenlee's wanting to be around Spike. Kendall also made a few appearances in TK's story with David Canary in early summer.

Then, when Alicia did have her lead story, she shared just as much time with Sabine Singh. In the months that followed, she was on almost everyday, saying the same things over and over again because AMC had no one else to put on screen at that point. Alexa had left. Sydney was still on maternity leave. Lucci was on her extended vacation. The only other big story was Leven's "Ava" and the KWAK triangle.

The reality is that AMC has very few strong actresses on their show. It is very unbalanced that most of their female actresses fall into the Younger category. For 2006, Alicia could go lead because AMC had Cady McClain, Alexa Havins, Eden Reigel, Terri Ivens, and Kate Collins to fill the supporting category. So IMO, you can't simply look at airtime. You have to look at each show as a whole, and AMC did not have the cast to fill the spaces for 2007.

And again, that will never happen. Soaps have alienated enough viewers. If TPTB were to go and put Erika Slezak, Deidre Hall and Susan Lucci in the Supporting Category, the audience that has watched soap operas for 30+ years would be rioting in the streets. Putting them in Lead is the last sign of respect and a symbol of gratitude for all these women have done in this industry, because they sure as hell aren't going to get more money or publicity at this point.

• Members
and, IMHO, thats stupid. Awards should not b given out based on respect and how long you have been on a show. They should be given out biased on who had the best performance. Just because you have been on a show for XX amount of years doesn't mean you are the lead actress. If people are not going to use the category's correctly why are they there? Why have a Lead Actress if the people in it are not lead? Why have supporting when really those ancestress are the lead, but because they have not been on the show for as long as some others they are supporting.

And i do see what you are saying re AM as lead/supporting, but if thats the case then why is SL & BE in lead? Neither one of them had any more story that AM did. Soap Opera are an ensemble show, no one has a storyline all to themselves. There are always at least two, if not more, leads in a storyline. So i don't get the entire she didn't have her own storyline argument, as she had many story lines that she was the lead in, and many story lines where she wasn't the lead, but was on just as much as the lead.

I just think it is hilarious that the actress who was on more than anyone else is in supporting. And again, it doesn't have everything to do with how much you are on, but to say that isn't a major factor? come on.

• Members

I'm sure the ATWT/bloc voting snarking will begin anytime now. Unless I'm mistaken, they have the max number of nom's in every category.

As for KZ...didn't she promise again this year not to submit herself? I really don't think she had the material this year at all. And it seemed like she was gone for huge chunks of time.

• Members

Before offering my reaction, let me respond to two concerns some others expressed.…

1) Alicia Minshew (Kendall), All My Children. The actress submitted in early-2007 for lead actress. That was for work done Jan. 1-Dec. 31, 2006, as part of last June 15, 2007 Daytime Emmy awards. Minshew going back to supporting -- well, I agree, it's b.s.

2) Kim Zimmer (Reva), Guiding Light. The four-time Emmy champ said, prior to her 2005-06 win, that if she prevailed with her fourth she would stop submitting herself. Well, in 2006 storyline, her Reva got the cancer journey, and she ended up speaking too soon. So Zimmer submitted and got nominated for the 2006-07 season. This time out, Zimmer refrained from submitting. She told someone in the press that she figured she didn't have the story to make it worthwhile seeking another [2007-08] nomination. Zimmer has been nominated 11 times.

And now.…

My reaction to this year's Prenoms....

They're unacceptable.

I am angry over the folks at GL for not Prenominating Beth Ehlers (Harley) as lead actress. In one of the year's golden performances, Ehlers had the goods to finally win her first Emmy on what would've been her sixth nomination with that Jan. 25, 2007 "70th Anniversary" tribute special (in which Ehlers took on interpreting serial creator Irna Phillips and blew everyone away); and she dug deeply in Harley's marital breakup with Gus (lead-actor Prenom Ricky Paull Goldin) plus in reaction to a daugher that went through an abortion.

Had this year's ballot had the integrity the industry keeps feebily begging, Ehlers would be battling The Young and the Restless' Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki), Days of Our Lives' Deidre Hall (Marlena), and The Bold and the Beautiful's Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke) for this year's best-actress statue. (My hunch is that official nomination roster will bomb once again!)

I would like to rip [GL] another you-know-what....

And I will not excuse [GL] for also failing to anoint a supporting-actress slot to the delightful Orlagh Cassidy, a scene-stealing pro as ambitious-mother-from-hell Doris Wolfe.

I am disgusted at General Hospital's continued manipulation of the supporting-actress race, in which two of their submitted three were leads, and only Carolyn Hennessy's Diane Miller was in a true supporting role. For not giving a slot to 1981 [Emmy-] winner Jane Elliot, so rip-roaringly terrific as Tracy (especially enlight of her pairing with TV hubby, and lead-actor hopeful, Anthony Geary's Luke), this is unforgivable.

B&B denying a supporting-actress bid to Alley Mills, so sublime and surprising as Steph's secretive sis Pamela, also puts this year's ballot to shame.

And Y&R, which spearheaded this Prenoms change back in 2003 because they griped over egregious snubs the year prior, continues to abuse by submitting so-what performances (Jeanne Cooper, woefully underwhelming as Katherine, once again trying for best actress), while denying musts-slots to the truly terrific acting achievements (last year it was Victoria Rowell as Dru; this year it's Jess Walton as Jill and Michael Graziadei as Daniel).

Yeah, I've had enough of [Y&R's] hypocrisy, too.

You know, I'm really fed up with these people who fail to bring credibility to this Daytime Emmy process. I will not put up with them this year. I will be boycotting. And I will tune out a number of these soaps (just as an added "bonus").

I will not congratulate any of the Prenominees.

• Members

Well I, for one, am going celebrate the pre-noms for every one of the DAYS performers that are on the list because that's all the recognition they're gonna get. We all know it. I congratulate every single one of them.

DAYS hasn't had an acting Emmy in 21 years but I see precious little ranting about that, except maybe here at SON.

I don't watch the CBS soaps and I'm sure you may have valid points. I enjoyed reading them and I enjoy your posts at The Envelope. Good luck with your boycott.

• Members

Unfortunately, that clip of Belle will have to wait for next year's Emmy awards. It aired this year, not the year for the nominations on this list. I wish to say congratulations and good luck to all the Days pre-noms. It angers me more than a little that this is probably as far as the academy will go with them...but they're all winners and worthy adversaries in my book.

• Members

No Sharon Case? WTH?

I bet Maurice Benard did not even submit because of his outrage over not winning for his bipolar story? :rolleyes:

Kudos to Tyler for getting that spot, well earned. The episode he finds Emily dead he better submit that scene.

Archived