February 4-8, 2008

Toups

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have SOAPnet too, and I rarely watch it. I used to have it on 24/7, but not anymore. I only watch it to catch up on one of the soaps that I missed during the day. With me only watching Days on a regular basis, I don't watch SOAPnet like I used to.

The shows I did enjoy on SOAPnet they removed to make room for OTH and 90210. Belch!

Jen

• Members

They say that is why they are going mob because its popular it garners high ratings inspite of the complaints don't know for sure just saying what I've read. I like the mob angle because its always been a part of the soap since I've watched since Luke came on the canvas....also I'm a mob afficionado...what I have a problem is when it overpowers the show...they seem to be trying to integrate more of the "hospital" which I am very happy about and the cast is being better integrated within the canvas.

IMO GH acting is awesome the problem for me is "how" their stories are told...they have decent storylines its that drop the ball also an overcrowded canvas and very short segments...they need to highlight more of what is popular in "longer" segments eg I wait all the show for a Robin scene then its interrupted and its the tag scene so I have to wait for two more seconds the next day...its thier string-a-long method that drives me to turn the channel.

2231788480101759456S425x425Q85.jpg

• Members

Nice to see Days holding steady..I enjoyed Shirley Jones last week..and they are only .1 away from the #3 spot..I would love to see them capture that this week for the plane crash sweeps event..But it probably won't happen..The show is great right now though..

• Members

Hi, I love DOOL and would say it is the best soap on TV. If I had to name things that would be entertaining to the average viewer I would say the show is consistent in relying on plot and story. That's all anyone wants really, the average anybody who doesn't care who is coupled with who as long as the story is interesting, and DOOL goes out of their way to first create a story and then find ways for characters to act in them, be they in singles, couples, triangles or groups. The whole triangle of Lucas/Sami/EJ which was the main triangle for much of 2006/2007 didn't just go the ABC route and exist for the sake of talking about it daily because they have so little story. They had the benefit of being part of the umbrella DiMera story and had something to work with. DOOL has action and intrigue. Yes, it's a soap and isn't winning any pulitzer prizes, but it did have a story which worked in secret labs, programming, mysterious fortune tellers and someone on the lam from the Vienna police. So at least there is something, some point A where everyone starts and A causes ripple effects and everyone arrives at point B, and then something else happens and a new status quo is arrived at.

GH has none of this. GH has no story ever and just has pairs and triangles who are supposedly the story instead of living within the story. Jason and Liz are the shows marquee pair at the moment but when you break it down to its nuts and bolts, they haven't really had a story. They just talk about each other and how they love each other. To go back to DOOL, in the time it took for Jason and Liz to have a baby, leave their spouse/GF and decide upon secret rendezvous, DOOL's Belle and Shawn managed to to discover her missing husband had a new face and bribed a judge to steal their kid, went on the run to Canada and some island with the hubby (his ex friend) in hot pursuit, returned to be married just as she slept with her ex husband, and then had their child kidnapped and joined their family for the final act of the story of Colleen Brady, the tragic aunt who supposedly died 60 years prior. And they managed to also fit in searching for Philip's supposedly aborted child who was actually delivered, suffer loss of family, and do support work with other random characters.

Jason and Liz basically did nothing all year except discuss their spouses and child. Carly and Jax in the span of a year saw him kidnapped for two weeks and then 50 weeks of talking about his brother or wanting a baby. Sonny and Kate spent six months talking about how they were not a couple. And then we could go to the segment of the audience who wants a story not about a couple trying to be together. On DOOL we saw a serial rapist story set in a college centered around a sorority. On GH all we got was two three week events timed for sweeps.

What DOOL, even under JER, has always done in recent times is make sure every character be they young or old has some story or status quo that can become a story at any time. You might not see Victor Kiriakis for 3 months because of offscreen reasons, but when he returns the show has no problem seamlessly picking up where they left off and reminding us of his infatuation with Caroline Brady and his ruthless tycoon background as he enters the last act of the rapist story. On GH we have Bobbie Jones and Edward Quartermaine, and their simmering status ready to go frontburner is what again?

GH would entertain nobody in primetime. First the laughable gangsters who never curse or commit crimes would be laughed off the TV. Second, the lack of sexuality which is so evident in the kissing scenes where everyone's lips are hermetically sealed would be an eye roller, and those watching say the story of the Text Message Killer would probably be asking themselves "why didn't Sprint just tell the police who sent the messages?" Then you have the most repetitive pair on the show, Patrick and Robin, and they would be laughed off the screen. He is the womanizer who never actually sleeps with anyone, and she is the nag who went insane about a baby and why does he love her again? No one would know because she isn't fun to be around.

They would look at the villains and laugh. Manny, the crazed killer who couldn't kill anybody, Jerry the crazed terrorist who told 63 different people he would blow their heads off and managed to kill nobody, and Ric, whose great scheme was to have Jason beat him up so he could press charges only he forgot to get a witness.

So what exactly would primetime be excited by?

• Members

the only thing laugable is the dimeras on DOOL. anybody that tunes in on that show think the Dimeras are cartoonie. no real villains on DOOL. except stefano who isn't even a badass to begin with. you want real top notch villains watch GH. you want couples that stay together and have no repetitive crap triangles like what you see on DOOL. or the ever lasting belle/Philip/shawn S/L. the Sami/Lucas never ending fights. GH has couple that entertain and gain buzz all around the Boards. DOOL relies on cheesy/sappy kind of romance. nobody likes that. GH has sexy romances. you wanna talk about Action. GH is known for having the most AWESOME action then any other soap. even primetime. i have a little video here. if you have a video that could top mine. then plz show it. I'll even email it to you if i have to. HELL we could have a contest. you post a best video of DOOL. better yet let's have a poll? but to be honest watching my video your probably thinking.."damn GH is badass" so lets cut it here and say GH is the better soap. no comparison needed. and you can clearly see why GH is the #1 soap. regardless of ratings.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=159380430468791206

• Members

same could be for All the damn people that think soaps like DOOL is great. knowing full well DOOL is on the chopping ground. your right this is my opinion. annoying are not. it's more said then most people in this thread. mob haters biased opinions. gets annoying to. every week. anything to bash GH.

• Members

so what if people think DOOL sucks. because if you look around to other Boards. they do. even if mob haters complain about GH. they don't give DOOL a second thought. truth hurts. but i guess this time next month the only discussions were gonna be having is DOOL getting cancelled.

Archived