February 4-8, 2008

Toups

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know regardless of opinions, people should know better by now than to engage with any type of conversation with a certain poster. We run into some crap like this every week and its always about the same thing, I've participated in the past, but I've come to the realization that its not worth it to get into it with fanboys and fangirls. I also find it funny that a certain poster only posts in the ratings thread and hardly any thing else, but oh well....

• Members

Their idea of thinking outside thedamn box is giving us leprechans running around town, heriones possesed by the devil, retconning someone's identity 8 times in 25 years (and counting), blowing up half the town, having a plane crash every year, or erasing someone's memory and putting it on a computer disc.

Not to mention having a aborted fetus running around town alive and grown and hyping a huge event where a town is destoryed in a gas explosion, but the only thing that happens is no one dies, the characters talk to each other and one of the show's heroines does a Curly from the Three Stooges and ends up in a coma after getting knocked in the head with a rock.

Oh yeah......we just LOVE that [!@#$%^&*]. :rolleyes:

• Members

Malone thought so "out of the box" that he destroyed his own past reputation. I should know, I used to be his biggest fan. With a few exceptional storylines or characters, by and large most of what he did at OLTL last time was sadly an embarrassment. Mitch? Keri's death? Gabrielle? Flynn? Tico? I could go on and on. There was new insanity every week. I would only want him back at OLTL as a consultant or staff writer.

Also, if this is about what I think it is, you ought to know he created the dreaded Jolie vs. Jovan with his 90s model of John as Patrick, Natalie as Marty, and Evangeline and Paul Cramer as Blair and Dylan Moody. He would not have made Evangeline queen of the show in quite the same way Dena Higley did.

• Members

Me too. I was saying on another board that it's like there's someone else writing for Jesse and Angie. When Angie passed out at the graveyard after seeing Jesse everyone told her that she was imagining things but when she was alone she asked herself "Why would I see Jesse looking 20 years older? Wouldn't he look the way he did when he died?" A smart question from a smart woman. And the type of thing that we the viewers would've torn her to pieces for if the show hadn't addressed it.

Everyone keeps saying stunt casting can't save AMC only better writing can do that. Well hold on to your hats folks the writing has gotten better even if it only for 10 out of 42 minutes.

As for OLTL, the only thing RC really had going for him was the fact that Dena sucked. The average squirrel on crack could pen better stories than she did. And now the show isn't living up to all the post Dena-hype Frons paid for.

• Members

skate are boring. good thing Claudia came in just in time to stir up trouble with that couple. I'm still hoping the writers pair Claudia/Sonny. they have the potential to do the whole mr/mrs smith S/L. sleep with the enemy. but at the same time trying an kill each other. :lol: since Guza likes to do shootouts. it could be done if he really wanted to do it. interesting how things may be. that's probably will there going with this S/L with Claudia. and sonny fighting over Lorenzo's waterfront property.

• Members

Believe it or not i agree with you to a point. Malone f*cked up BIG TIME and those mistakes are best summed up in three word Summer of Santi. I don't know what you think this is about and maybe I am remembering wrongly Jolie v Jovan was a Higley thing. Malone wrote John as damaged and complicated but he still capable of smiling, conversing and showering. I believe that left to Malone, Van/John/Nat wouldn't have been a romantic triangle but an examination of John's hero complex. It was the great geometrist Higley that turned them into the hot mess they became. And you're right Malone wouldn't have made Evangeline the queen of the show. He would have made her a consistent fleshed out character with a backstory that might explain the stuff we saw her do when she was on screen. Complex characterization was Malone's strong suit. But please let's get away from the Jowars because that wasn't my point

When I think of Malone I think of the spring fling rape of Marty, Billy Douglas and AIDS quilt and Megan's lupus. These are the stories OLTL still points to when they try to position themselves. What I liked about Malone is that he wasn't afraid of controversy or to let his characters act ugly if it made sense. Remember how Clint didn't like the idea of Joey hanging out with Billy Douglas because he was gay? That wasn't pretty but it made sense. Writers don't have that kind of bravery anymore and with network suits breathing down their necks they'll never develop it.

But I contend that a OLTL with Malone as a consultant or cowriter would be a whole lot better than the festival of tedious boredom that greets viewers every day at 2:00 EST.

Of course nothing good can happen until Sweeney gets enough sense to put her foot in Frons ass.

• Members

I grew up watching Malone's first run and still love what he did, but the fact is suits or no suits he destroyed himself at AW and then again at OLTL the second time. He had good ideas but could not execute properly without a strong EP - without Linda Gottlieb or Josh Griffith to rein him in he consistently went OTT or childish, and even when Griffith was there in 2003 and 2004 they did some baaad work. He also brought us John who became the monster who ate Llanview and every woman's brain.

I far prefer OLTL today to him in charge, but that's me.

• Members

Malone brought us John but its Frons' that turned him into the omnipresent, preverbal, devolved scourge his is now. (And I'm a fan!). Frons has such a mancrush on Michael Easton he'd shove old ladies into the East River just for the chance to spend a moment in his presence. I haven't seen such an obvious case of boylonging since Rebel Without a Cause.

• Members

Actually I don't give a [!@#$%^&*] about you. I can not think of one time when I have watched a soap opera, or for that matter any television show, movie or anything else and thought hmmm, I wonder what Shawn Perez at SON thinks. Does that answer your question?

Archived