February 4-8, 2008

Toups

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly, you've nailed what I was getting at. All of it, in my view, is true.

And the thing with quitting GH after Jackie Zeman was taken off contract didn't have as much to do with her being my favorite (although she is) as it did with the ABC Daytime mandate of ageism and treating vets horribly. After Jackie went recurring I just snapped, that was it. I was DONE with ABC (never been much of an OLTL fan and just a casual AMC viewer).

• Members

ok someone needs to do there research. Claire Labine was the GH writer when Sonny first came on screen back in 93 working with Guza. Claire is the one that created Sonny. but you have to remember guza was still apart of the writing team when claire was writing for GH at the time. and for that i will forever be grateful that the writers stuck with the mob even back then when Sonny's character was a low key mobster..and yes she was the best writers EVER. and she did focus on the mob. it just wasn't the same when she was head writer because the mob wasn't the main focus of the show like it is now. and that's where guza comes in. he blew the mob full force when Jason joined sonny's mob organization after taking over the head spot when Claire left the show in 96. and for that. i will always like Guza's writing. it's been a long time coming since the mob was frontburner. oh well this is my opinion. like it or not. the mob on GH separates this show from all the rest of the soaps.

• Members

they tried the mob angle and it failed. name ONE soap that is currently doing the mob S/L? name ONE soap that does shootouts? GH was established in the mob S/L's since the 80's with Mr big..aka."burth Ramsey"..plus. nobody does mob shootem ups like GH. that's why when OLTL/GL tried the mob angle. it didn't work out and they cut the S/L short. that's what makes GH separate from the others. they stuck with the mob when others failed. is how well written the mob is. and the realisticness when a mob shootout breaks out. i wouldn't say it was the reason why GH fell in ratings. because most soaps fell in ratings. people get tired of soaps period. either bye death. or boredom. soaps have been tanking for awhile now. not just GH. but All soaps in general. well Y&R is still holding strong with the loyal viewers.

• Members

i dont think any other shows are currently using the mob, but they all ahve in the past and im sure will again, because its all in the rotation and balance. General Hospital is about 40 people or so, not two. And i can name quite a few shows that more people watch than GH that dont do the mob... maybe thats saying something?

what seperates GH is there mob storylines has been failing for 8 tears and they wont drop it. The mob on GH has lost its heart and soul - and what is a soap opera without a heart and soul?

• Members

the heart and soul of soaps have gone down hill. if you look at now and in the past. no soap focuses on romance anymore. Y&R does. it's no surprise why there number one. the majority of soap viewers like romance. and the other half of viewers like myself like the edgy side of soaps. the killings. the shootings. the bombings. the Action. the romance that doesn't make me say..'AWW THAT CRAP IS CHEESY" and if you wanna talk about balance. GH has been balance for along time. people just don't see it. they have a biased eye for there hate on Guza so much that it clouds there judgment. but seriously a soap could have the best balance ever. and will not help the ratings. GH is about violence. and sometimes romance with couples. but atleast i can honestly say that the romance on GH is NOT cheesy/Sappy like other soaps. matter of fact i like the GH couples for one reason. there strong. and not afraid to go out in a shootout to defend there man no matter what. i like the way the GH writers write women on GH. you see other soaps nowadays and the women are such weak little princesses that have no clue on how to even use a gun..writers make them look like damsel in distress. Also IMO i don't think any soap will EVER try the mob S/L'. people said it one to many times. it WILL NOT look good. there is no writer walking this street today that can mimic Guza writing style. NONE.

• Members

As Sam has proven many times, just showing a woman with a gun doesn't make a female character strong. On GH that's just exploitation of a different color.

Uh, no. Reality check.

Guza was not on staff at GH in 1993, nor was he ever co-HW with Claire Labine. Ever. This is verifiable at IMDB and Wikipedia. In those days, he was writing for Spelling soaps like Melrose Place and Models Inc.

Bob Guza worked on GH as a staff writer during the 80s, left in 1987, but only came back to HW GH in 1996 briefly (March to October), and then was beholden to go finish his SuBe contract; he returned in December 1997 and stayed through 2000. Then came back in 2002.

Sorry. No.

Also, Claire made Jason into Jason Morgan and I believe put him with the mob. It started out okay. What Guza did with it to continue it afterwards ultimately turned to [!@#$%^&*] like everything he touches. He used to be very talented. Now he's over the hill, repetitious and spoiled.

• Members

opinions opinions opinions. you can't live with them you can't live without them. ok so you hate Guza. give it up already. who cares when and where he wrote for GH. the point is. we us fans like his writing. and it will continues when we rise in ratings. this week. it has been explosive. say what you will about Guza. but every writer on soaps repeat one way or the other. there's no perfect writer. IMO Guza is the perfect writer. he makes daytime drama fun to watch. not boring like most soaps you see now. if you enjoy cheesy soaps/sappy romances. with equally boring characters then go right ahead. nobody's stopping you. just don't get mad when people don't see your point of view.

we have our opinions rather people like it or not. with that being said. I'm gonna cut this chitchat short because i gotta get somewhere very important. and just for the record i didn't look at wikipedia for this information just to yet you know. matter of fact i bought guza's "tell All book" it explains when he started his career in writing. what schools he went to. how he became a writer. his favorite movies. shows. and why he likes writing for the mob.."etc"

it's really riveting you should check it out. it might open up your eyes to the talents of Guza. he has incredible talent. if you still watch GH or you don't? it's not in your place to criticise. nor should you bash the posters for liking GH. i admit it. i watch DOOL/OLTL/AMC. and Y&R/ATWT online. quite honestly they are shows i usually watch when i have nothing to do or when i get home from doing my daily routine. i sit back and watch DOOL/OLTL/AMC on my DVR. it's GH that i make time for. i watch it religiously.

have a good day. :D

• Members

Well, the least you could do when you get back from your incredibly important day is acknowledge you got the facts wrong. You claim Guza helped create Sonny, put Jason into the mob, wrote the Stone AIDS storyline, worked with Claire Labine at GH....none of that is true. Are you willing to admit to that?

Also, Bob Guza has never written a tell all book.

• Members

OK, YOU NEED TO DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Guza only came to GH as Head Writer in 1996, he replaced Labine and Karen Haris was his Co-Head Writer.

Guza was previously a script writer for GH in the 80's, when Sonny never existed on the show and the mob, though still there, was still not the major factor on the show.

btw, it's "their", not "there". ;)

Archived