Did Céline rip-off Mariah's cover?

Sylph

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be fair, when Mariah first debuted, critics called her nothing but a Whitney clone. It was true to an extent, that first album (which also happens to be my favorite Mariah album as well) was littered with producers who came to first gained recognition by working with Whitney. Hell, Walter Afanasifeff started off as an arranger for Houston. The only real difference was, Mariah could write or at last co-write her own songs.

I do like Mariah, but I've never considered her anything more than a good pop/R&B vocalist. She's not a trend-setter or something of a unique artist, but she does what works for her, and is able to at least attempt writing her own songs, which cannot be said for artists like Celine and Whitney.

LOL! Wasn't Glitter's Oscar success enough for you?!?! :P;)

• Members

Mariah co-wrote many of her hits, yes, but she also stole from other people. There are at least 3 or 4 different suits against her for possible breach of copyright. She's also known for stealing her own songs - she basically borrows material from her previous hits and mixes them.

As for a good vocalist... She once had a very powerful voice, but she didn't take care of it nor train it and it is now in tatters. I agree that she's not a trend-setter, but I don't want every single artist to be one. For example, Timbaland is considered a top music producer at the moment, but he stole (and continues to steal) from Arabic artists such as Warda Al Jaziria, Mayada El Hennawi and Abdelhalim Hafez... Just don't tell me it was sampling what he did...

• Members

Yeah, I know about this, I've always thought that she recycles too many of her prior songs. LOL!

I agree, her voice isn't what it used to be and I HATE that whispering [!@#$%^&*] she calls singing these days. To be honest, I haven't really enjoyed her music since the early 90's. She's not one of my favorite artists, but I can tolerate her and know many of her songs (mainly because Sony whored her to masses so much in the 90's).

• Members

"Glitter" wasn't THAT bad! And Mariah rebounded nicely with "Wisegirls."

Known to me are a) Emotions/Best of My Love(yeah, she did heavily borrow from that one without crediting) and the most well known one: b ) Thank God I Found You/One of Those Love Songs.

As far as her own songs, I know that The Roof/Subtle Invitation both work off each other.

Aside from all that, I grew up loving and idolizing Mariah, and once I got ahold of the entire discography, I realized how beautiful her music was and how much of a poet and artist she is. Her best songs are the non-singles, b-Sides and the sad ballads. "Everything Fades Away" plays like a lyrical soap opera, especially the bridge. "Slippin' Away" was for sure a precursor for what was to come with Butterfly and beyond.

And the Glitter Soundtrack, despite some missteps(like being a guest artist in songs with Ja Rule and Mysical), had really good tracks on it. It was the release that had her last really great ballad on it, "Lead The Way." And the duet with Eric Benet, "Want You" totally should have been a single too.

Archived