Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

We’ve had a few entertaining men’s matches in the past couple years, but that was just dazzling. I watch for those rallies and displays of shotmaking, and it’s just refreshing to see two GOATs equally matched going toe-to-toe. The Fedal matches we’ve seen since Roger’s return have  been disappointing.

Nadal winning would have been nice only to see him close the gap with Roger to 20-18. I’m a huge Novak fan, but I’d be ok with either him or Anderson taking the title. I love a comeback. They are both coming in as the walking wounded. Anderson is serving as well as I’ve ever seen him and has FAR more mental belief than ever, so I’m not sure the lopsided h2h matters that much, but Novak is just an out-of-this-world returner.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Kerber just exposing how far Serena has to go to get back to her absolutely dominant level. Serena at 50-60 percent is good enough to beat most players, but she’d struggle against an in-form Muguruza or Halep at this level. Only Mladenovic and Giorgi really pushed her, and they aren’t who I’d call threats to win Slams.

Kerber wins and is 3/4 of her way to a career GS.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Quite a letdown after the men's semifinals, but Serena never got going. She had an easy route to the final, and when she met a tougher opponent her lack of matches showed. Still, it's an impressive achievement of her to reach the final.

But congratulations to Kerber. She did what she had to do and grabbed the chance she got.

• Members

Gotta say, Kerber was seen as a one-year wonder after struggling in 2017, and now she’s won her 3rd Slam. Don’t count anyone out.

Serena is tearing up...aww. Always gracious in defeat with the other players. Maybe not always with the press, but they deserve her scorn with how they treated her the first 10-15 years of her career.

Edited by Faulkner

• Administrator

Wow, surprised Serena lost.  I just caught the last game - I missed both matches today. 

Please register in order to view this content

I do like the idea of going to tie-breaks after 10-10 in the 5th set. 

• Members

It was a mess. Queen didn't play like a champion in possession of 23 Slams. You could see her nerves had her overplaying and couldn't serve to save her life. 

On that note, if anyone needs me, I'll be off in my bedroom wailing in a fetal position 😥😥😥

• Members

Serena has nothing to prove at this point and by getting to this final, she zooms up to Top 30 (I think) in the rankings.  Angie Kerber was just relentlessly focused today on every single point. 

Many people noticed that Serena looked off balance at times but it also could have something to do with Kerber's play-- she varied her shots so often that, it seemed as if Serena didn't know what to expect.  Full credit to Kerber and many compliments to Serena on that run to the final.

• Members

This is a pattern with the tennis press.

They are trying to "sell" the men's final off Serena's back by hoping to stir up controversial remarks. 

Over the years, they've tried to promote the game off the backs of both Williams Sisters, either by raising them up, or tearing them down.