Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Compared to Wimbledon...The British Open final round had a 5.0 rating....up from last year's 3.6 rating when Jordan Spieth won it. Tiger's charge against the new stars including Spieth brought in the ratings....the ratings peaked at 6.7 in the last half hour of the broadcast. 

• Members

Tiger’s really a paradigm-shifting pop culture icon, and the possibility of ending a 10-year major drought would have been huge. The only person in tennis who comes close right now in America is Serena, which is why the ratings for the final Saturday of Wimbledon were so good. I think it’s hard to draw a definitive conclusion about this year’s men’s final, as it was up against a World Cup final watched by nearly 12 million viewers. 

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I think that makes sense. An American legend of the sport (Venus) on a comeback trail. 

Federer is clearly famous, but no one thought that Cilic final would be much of anything (it wasn’t). If he’d been playing Nadal, at least there would be a narrative. If he’d been playing a healthy Djokovic or Murray or Delpo, at least there could have been a competitive match, since all have beaten Federer at the highest levels. Cilic? Not so much.

• Members

Just look at last year's US Open....no Serena but all American semifinals(higher ratings) ......the problem with the men's tour is that there is no American male  that is likable ...that's not even counting success.....

In golf you have all these new American males vying for all the majors which leads to better ratings than tennis. There are some unlikable players but some very likable. Men's tennis doesn't have the flood of Americans vying for majors.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I just saw this! 

All those times when people used to wonder why he shielded his son's face from public view, my immediate thoughts were always that perhaps he wanted to protect his son from the possibility of being kidnapped. 

The threat is very real if he's in Serbia, although I know he lives in Monte Carlo but clearly he and is wife have family who still live there.