The Tennis Thread

• Administrator

Damn. Can’t believe Roger blew a two set lead. 😥 No Federer vs Nadal in the final.  That’s the match most people wanted to see, to see two of the greatest going against each other, possibly for the last time.   I guess the champion will be decided in the semis with Joker vs Nadal.   

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He is talking about Serena's coach who is also named Patrick....LOL...not John's useless brother...LOL

This happens a lot when TC and ESPN pimp it and pimp it with their talk and talk about how they want it and then do the documentary the weekend of Wimbledon. It rarely pans out anymore. Gawd seeing Joker win would be horrific. I was hoping Del Po would win. I have no fav left...Nadal for the win. I want him to chase Roger's major total and the GOAT status which I don't think Roger has just yet since he avoids clay like the plague. 

BTW people are saying Roger lost because he is no longer with Nike....LOLOLOL. I hate his new logo sponsor. So much money given to Roger for a career that will soon end. I bet sooner than people think.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Administrator

Well considering his career was

supposed to be over years ago, what’s happening now, and in recent years, is a plus. Tennis players don’t usually last this long.  If you were Roger you’d take the most money too. Can’t blame him for taking the deal. 

And when you’re the best, you’re going to get pimped. Look at Serena.  The two GOATS deserve it and have earned it. 

• Members

Y’all know where my sympathies lie.

But I think we should mentally prepare ourselves for John Isner, Wimbledon champion, the first American man to win it since Sampras. And we should brace ourselves for all the gloating and smug grinning from Gimelstob. Both Nadal and Djokovic have great records against him (Rafa has a 7-0 h2h, Novak is 8-2), but neither guy has played him on grass. 

Not saying it’s a definite, and KAndo could totally redline in their semi (he has beaten Isner three times) or simply push him enough to wear him down, but it wouldn’t *stun* me. As obnoxious and unlikable as he is, Isner does have a brilliant serve. He’s top 10 now. If he had, say, Denis Shapovalov’s serve (an ok weapon when on but nowhere near as solid as Isner’s), he probably might be in the lower reaches of the top 50 at most. It’s just such an advantage to have that serve. 

• Members

Never gonna like the dude....like it was said on social media...he should be true to himself and show his true colors..no one is buying this love bit he gives fans after the match.

Lawd Gimelstob is already being smug and gloating after his wins. 

I am looking at the company and not him for giving him so much money. Nike was wise to only give him unless he was still playing. I don't know if Roger is the GOAT. He has abandoned the clay season for some time now. He may have more majors but I am not sure if he should be called the GOAT. 

• Members

Totally cool. Definitely not trying to be some Novak evangelist, but I’ve not shied away from explaining why I like him. We all have our favorites for whatever reasons, and he’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I will say he seems to get along decently with other players in spite of his “villain” persona, even if he sometimes drives his opponents batty (like today with Nishikori, who was more visibly annoyed than I’ve ever seen him with Novak’s endless ball bouncing before serves). 

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Well most fans see him as the villain and Edmund also complained about all the bounces too in the 4th round to which Novak was given a warning for taking too much time. I hate the bounces too.  I also hate how long Rafa takes to serve the ball and he doesn't get warned at all. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Serena's only lost one set the entire tournament thus far, right?  Darn impressive! A great chance for Serena to shatter that Court record.

Serena vs. Angelique on Saturday-- I don't expect nerves to be much of a factor between these two. Should be fun!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

This Wimbledon has kind of been boring for me...the women's side hasn't really had any good matches to me.  I hope the final is decent.  The men's side, blah.  I keep waiting for the typical "Isner fizzle".  Looks like it's going to be Nadal's to lose now although I do think if Anderson plays well he can beat him. 

• Members

I didn’t see the Hsieh/Cibulkova match, but Domi tried to pull some Justine Henin-level BS during a dispute over a call. Ridiculous. Happy her foolishness  got shot down, but the umpire is also to blame. That particular umpire has made major mistakes before.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

For the most part, I'd have to agree with you. There haven't been any truly stand out matches this year, IMO.

Part of me wants to blame the surface and the fact that the grass has been playing more like a clay court this year.  I understand that The All England Club wanted to thwart "serve-bots" but I think they went too far in the other direction, creating stroke-production most similar to the infamous Isner-Mahut 1st round years ago, where points wouldn't end, they just died (no wonder Isner made it as far as he did!)

Imo, though there is potential for a compelling women's final since both players have faced each other before and played some highly competitive matches in the past. 

@Faulkner Cibulkova's reasoning in the press conference reminds me of that of Capriati, after that horrendous call in her match against Serena where Capriati basically tried to pass if off as "oh, I've gotten bad calls in the past too" therefore it shouldn't be a big deal when my opponent gets a bad call.  The logic is poor and unconvincing to me.

• Members

Before Wimbledon started I said to someone when we were talking about the Serena ranking, what's fair, what will happen with her play, is she ready, etc. etc.  I said, yeah I think we're going to look back when the end of the tournament comes and find it funny that we wondered if any of that stuff matters.  In her semi today when Goerges broke and kinda did a little fist pump I said, "yep sweetie, good for you but you're about to lose this semi on your serve.  Ya better start thinking about your serve."  And buh bye.