The Tennis Thread

• Members

Lucky you, although you have to endure Gimelstob, which is unfortunate.

Peter Bodo is a glass is barely half-full tennis journalist.  He's been around for ages.  Sometimes he can be insightful but more often he's dour and quick to accentuate the negative aspects and potential failures in a player at every turn.

At least we didn't have to endure a six hour match between Rafa and Nolé!  I too was hoping Monfils would win but I'm hoping the progress he's made will encourage him to have more self-belief and maybe build a bit more endurance (Coca Cola is not a good stamina builder :lol:).  It was fascinating to see the match beteween Monfils and Tsonga.  Someone told me that Tsonga is used to being the Alpha French male and Monfils upended this and Tsonga did not look okay with it but they look quite close otherwise.

Maybe if the U.S. Fed Cup team continues to do well, it may build confidence for them in other areas.  The Czech women seem to have made a lot of progress individually since their team's couple of wins over the past few years.  Sam Stosur, though, does not do well when she plays in Australia, that I know for certain.

It will be interesting to see how Thiem pans out during this clay court season.  There will be many opportunities to see how he performs because there are so many damn clay court tournaments!

Speaking of the dreaded Big 4, or whatever, Becker is mad at Murray because apparently in an interview, Murray hinted at having had suspicions of certain players (he wouldn't name names) who can play at high levels for hours without ever appearing to get tired.  Someone brought up an old article where Becker threw accusations about Thomas Muster possibly doping.  Guess what?  Muster's old trainer now works for Djokovic!  Boris should keep quiet, he sounds ultra defensive.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Tennis Channel had him calling John Isner's match from Houston…that is ridiculous!

Id rather see a Nole and Rafa match than an Andy vs Nole one…those are so boring and Gasquet agrees with me…LOL. I saw when Monfils asked for Coca Cola.. I thought that was rather funny he was drinking that instead of energy drinks. I think his new coach which he wanted but refused him…forget his name….he was a Swedish player…got to love the Swedish male players…..looks like he will help him out with his career. Its too bad Monfils took so long to realize his talent.

I am floving Thiem. He is my new fav!  I am so over Berdych. He will be out of the top 10 before The French Open starts….and Grigor….ugh…I am losing all faith in him and I am about to not care if he wins or not…he is so talented yet plays such a weak game. He should already be in the top 5 in the world.

I still don't get the big success of Nole either. When he was ranked 3rd in the world he couldn't even beat Rafa or Roger. He would be out of breath in a 3 set match. Something seems very fishy to me. He now all of sudden can go on for miles and miles in matches? He is a boring number 1 too. I like the players that have flash in their game like Roger or Grigor….etc…..Andy and Nole have such boring games.

• Members

Must be that Gluten Free lifestyle that keeps him going and going, right?:lol:;)  He also uses one of those oxygen pods, which like meldonium used to be, not against doping rules...yet.

I  do have to admit, although Andy Murray seems like he'd be interesting off court (his dry sense of humor), I do not find him particularly interesting to watch, at all.  Someone compared Murray's matches vs. Nolé like watching Charlie Brown and Lucy with that football.

Pe741013.jpg

Even if Murray gets a set, you know what the ultimate result will be.  Every damn time.

I know it's frustrating when you faves disappoint (believe me, I know!) but try not to completely shut the door on them unless it's sparing your blood pressure, then I'd kick them to the curb (lol).

The interesting thing about the game today is that players and their games are maturing later and thankfully most player into later age.  Remember when Agassi's late career surge was considered unusual?  Now it's considered mid, not late career because playing into the mid-30s is the norm these days.

I mean, would I loved it if Monfils made good on all that talent earlier in his career?  Of course, but maybe because he's now starting to make good on all that talent and potential, maybe when others are burned out years from now, he could still be going at peak levels (or near peak levels).  Stan's not one of my faves but I take heart from his example because he won his first major at, what, 30?  Coincidentally, Stan's coach Magnus Norman used to be an instructor/coach at the Good To Great Academy in Sweden, the same place where Monfils coaches are based, so I find that encouraging.

By the way, I got to hear a podcast interview with the legendary Gail Falkenburg (Taylor Townsend's opponent in the Challenger last week) and seriously, she sounds like a really nice, very positive-minded lady.  As long as she's enjoying being out there and competing, I wouldn't want to be the one out there trying to tell her to quit!  Taylor, on the other hand, is the one that worries me.  Hopefully, like Lindsey Davenport, she'll come around to do what it takes to put herself in a truly winning position.

Justin Gimelstob predicted that John Isner will make the 2nd week at the French Open based on...how many clay court matches has he played so far?

• Members

I flove Norman as a player and person. I loved his game when he played. He seems like a nice guy too. I have chatted with him in TW.  As for Justin….the guy is a bozo…..John has already dropped back down to 16 in the world. The only way John will win lots of matches at any majors is to play big babe tennis as Mary Carillo calls it. Either that or tap into what Nole is doing….LOL….

Also if you disagree with his views on TW….Justin will block you…..LOL

• Members

I'm curious to hear about the dirty dirty that happened between Norman and Hingis when they dated.  I know Martina dated a lot of guys but how could she justify going from Norman to Radek Stepanek?!:unsure:  She's not with either now but still...I don't know how someone makes that leap.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

That guy got not only Hingis but Vaidisova and Petra Kvitova as well!:wacko:  How????!

Martina Hingis dated extensively.  Tennis players, golfers, soccer players.  Didn't she once have a fiance or someone accuse her of being a serial cheater?  Before she came back to tennis, like for the second time, there was some ugly situation that happened between her and some guy.

• Members

I saw that….these women must have low standards where males are concerned…LOL

I also noticed that Berdych ex girlfriend…Safarova is now dating Jack Sock's coach Troy Hahn….hubba bubba….teehee…as much as I flove Berdych I think she upgraded with Hahn.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Good for Lucie, she seems like a nice person and with her level of success, there's no reason for her not to find someone, especially with her going through rough times lately and her ex enjoying wedded bliss.

So some young Russian, whose tennis idols are Marat Safin and Juan Martin del Potro knocked out Roberto Bautista Agut, in Agut's home tournament in Barcelona.  I didn't see the match, just the score.

• Members

I always wondered why Lucie and Berdych split up. I actually think Lucie is more attractive than his wife. But like I said Lucie seems to have found a winner in Hahn. He is much hotter than Berdych IMO. I'll add another pic of Hahn…teehee

Please register in order to view this content

I was watching the match…his name is Karen….LOL….I am like isn't that a girls name….teehee…..I had never heard of him before but he is the new crop coming up. I need to go back and rewatch the match. I didnt think he was going to beat RBA. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I agree, I think Lucie is more attractive than his current wife (did you see her wedding dress?  It is a MUST SEE!:lol:) but for all the amount of time Lucie and Berdych were together they actually started to kind of resemble each other to me for a weird reason.

I have a cousin with that name but I was thinking of a more masculine pronunciation like Kah' REN.  That sounds better.  Then again, I have to remember that Stacey, Tracey, and Vivian all started out as male names.  Sasha is still regarded as a male name in Eastern Europe.

I've only seen 1 or 2 Challenger matches with Kharachanov so I'm not fully familiar with his game, but I have heard some people claim that RBA has a hollow game and has been able to get away with it, especially on clay.  I didn't really believe it until today.

• Members

Just saw the dress….Lord….awful…LOL….looks like she is going to do an underwear modeling shoot….LOL

I am sure Karen's name is pronounced differently in Russia. It just threw me when I saw it at the beginning of the match. RBA reminds me of the male version of Chris Evert. He plays just like her….LOL. I have to say though that he never gives up and is a fighter. I still remember how pesky he was against Berdych at the Aussie Open this year.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

My cousin is a woman, by the way, I neglected to say that before.  So the name does first and foremost, register as a woman's name to me, as do the others I mentioned but I just have to remind myself sometimes that they weren't always.:lol:

Esther Satarova (that's her name right?) kind of resembles that vapid Euro-model type that lots of ATPers seem to go for.  Same caramel colored hair, same blank expression, like she'd rather be filing her nails in the stands, same general look.  When I say ATPers, I'm not really talking about most of the Top 10, but those guys in the middle ranks, some ex-players and almost all of the players from the Balkans.  I mean, get some variety, already!

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Karen=female name……teehee….good thing he wasn't from the US…he would have been laughed out of the country….teehee

Esther is too thin…and her nose is weird too….and I never see her smile during Berdych's matches…I don't see what he saw in her…..of course he could be Nole where no females come visiting because of his personality so he marries his HS sweetheart who is very plain Jane….LOL

Novak comes off very sexist to me….

One thing that bugs me is Alexander Zverev ,,,

His name is Alexander…I can't stand it when they call him Sasha….LOL…another mainly female name….yes thats his nickname but his name is Alexander…..LOL