The Tennis Thread

• Members

Well, in Russia, they now accept that women are named Sasha but for them Sasha is a diminuitive of Alexander, like Misha (bear) is to Mikhail.  I actually think Sasha is kind of cute, remember that 90's actor Sasha Mitchell?  I hated Step By Step but I thought he was kind of cute, back in the day.  

I always got the idea that Djokovic had a thing for Ivanovic who never gave him the time of day.  I think when she constantly kept saying that he was 'like a brother' to her, he took the hint.  I have no proof, just the way he used to look at her whenever they played Hopman Cup or were ever around each other for certain events.  Before Djokovic and Jelena got engaged, I used to joke that while Jelena obviously looked at him with stars in her eyes, had Ana gave him half a chance, he'd be at her beck and call.:lol:  I don't joke about that anymore since he got married and had a kid, seems kind of mean and pointless now.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, Sasha was cute. I didn't care for him in either Step By Step or Dallas. 

Hmmm..never noticed his attraction to Anna. When Anna lets her hair down and is dressed up … she looks very good so I can see why Nole would be attracted to her. But I have a feeling Anna wouldn't put up with his sexist antics….LOL thus the brush off she gave him….LOL. Nole made some comment recently about making babies with his wife that just bothered me…ugh.

Another one that I just can't with is Andy Roddick….I remember the flirting between him and Anna K. …Anna knew that he liked her but always teased him but never give him the time of day….LOL…..later Andy married that plastic actress/model…not surprising as I always thought Andy was full of himself and so hung up on his looks. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Andy's redeeming quality is that he at least lobbied for Serena to get the SI Sportsperson of the Year Award.  He's always spoken up for her, saying they've been friends since they were young and he admitted to being a brat many times in his career during an interview w/Jon Wertheim.  He seems a little more humble these days, could it be the receding hairline?

Ana can look beautiful when she is dressed up and made up although sometimes a bit too thin.  Supposedly she's supposed to be married in a couple months.  We've seen a lot of broken engagements in tennis over the years (most recently Woz and Petra) but it looks like Ana may actually make it to the altar with the German racecar driver.

Speaking of couples you may not have known about, I recently found out that they used to be an item:

ibulkova2.jpg

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I saw the clip, I think, the day before yesterday.  I can't believe I never mentioned it!

I saw some people on social media asking for proof and chiding people to stop being so sensitive.  I hate how people try to sweep certain ugly situations under the rug.  Hewitt got off scott-free with no repurcussions from the insulting insinuations he made about James Blake that time they played the U.S. Open and now this guy, who should know better. 

Nick Kyrgios got raked over the coals over his mid-match comments to Stan but when someone makes a racist or sexist comment, people want to dismiss it as overall ignorance and move on right away.  Tennis needs to get their priorities straight.  You can't claim to be an inclusive sport when you let comments like these stand and just sweep it under the proverbial rug.  As it is, among the so-called tennis journalists there's been very little follow-up on this story since it initially happened. I wonder whether there will be any disclosures about what Medvedev actually said.  Tennis needs to stop hiding things and just be transparent when these incidents happen- give a full accounting of what we didn't hear/see.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

It's too bad the Aussie players don't seem to have much regard for Pat Rafter.  It's kind of laughable that anyone expects Hewitt to be a role model for these young guys.

Tennis could do itself an enormous favor if it simply had this Challenger tournament supervisor and the Umpire at that particular match make a one time statement giving a detailed account of what happened to clear up any speculation and questions.

As it is, I saw a statement from Medvedev apologizing to Donald Young.  He seems to accept the default, claims he does not remember all that he said (m'kay), yet refutes that he could've said anything racist.  These players have got to come up with better excuses.:rolleyes: