For Soap Fans First!!

Ryan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First and foremost I blame the internet. People with shared likes and dislikes were never able to communicate so readily with each other before. Now they feed off each other's indignation on a daily basis so it escalates.

But poor quality of the soaps themselves must have something to do with it as well. Sometimes the shows are so bad that for some, maybe one character or couple is the only thing that keeps them watching. Then there's the need to lay blame as to why a show is in poor shape.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Fanatical fanbases have got to be the worse thing that's ever happened to soaps. It's no longer about the show itself, just how great so and so is and how much the show sucks without them. One prime example for me is a certain couple over on AMC. I have stopped watching the show not only because it sucks, but because I was sick of being attacked from fans for daring to have a differing opinion. Ultimately, TPTB pandering to certain groups at the expense of others will be what really bring the soaps down in the long run.

• Members

IMO, fanbade camps are helping a lot to ruin daytime.

Think about it - when they are not happy with there fanbase on the show all they do is bash it. Now say someone goes online to read about a soap they cought here or there and all they read is how awful the show is - this comming from "fans" of the show. or for that matter they read how great this one storyline is but the rest sux. its a no win situation, IMO.

Plus certin fanbases also cut out other fans of the sho0w. Carjackers (ATWT) & Zendull (AMC) seem to be doing it the most at the moment. They also vote an insane amount of time in the soap mags and it makes it seem like that couple/char/person/show is more like than what it is.

Soaps need to stop listing to the fans and trying to make everyone happy and just write produce and direct a great show. Like they use to..

of course i have my own fan couples char's and actress on daytime, but i am a fan of Days of our Lives & General Hospital - the show. thru up and downs the good and the bad i stick by them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I totally agree. I remember once I liked a character so much I thought I was part of the fanbase, but the people in it were so mean when I disagreed. I realized how insane it all is.

Does anyone think the networks maybe stir it up a little? They claim that ABC at least like all the publicity they think it gives them to have these people at war with one another on the internet. I could see them stirring it up a little.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

^ I'm convinced ABCD and in particular GH cultivates the fanbase war culture. CBS has fanbases, but it just isn't as bad, imo. Until quite recently, I had never seen a bitch fight over Y&R and then Sharon/Phyllis/Nick happened, so I think LML took a cue from ABCD.

• Members

I'm in! I'm an AMC fan first, even though I think the show is at the worst it's ever been at the moment. but nothing grates on my nerves faster than people saying the show is bad because Zendall are unhappy. W....T....F??? AMC thrived long before Zendall and would do better without it IMO. This crazed hysteria sickens me. I have loved couples and characters too and they have long since gone off the show, but I still watch, because AMC is an esemble show (or at least it used to be). *sigh*

Strange as it is, I used to be in the Zendall camp. But I was so turned off by the fans and their "passion" I abandoned ship, and it's a big part of why I can't stand Zendall now.

• 2 months later...

Archived