ALL: What's In A Name?

• Members

Often times, I don't think we really appreciate all the hard work that goes into every apsect of our respective shows. I remember reading an article a while back (maybe a few months ago) that explained how some soap writers develop new characters' names/baby names/nightclub names/etc. No doubt, alot of har work must go into picking out names. LOL!

What are some of the names that made you go :blink: ? What are some of the names you fell in love with?

I'll start us off...

GL:

--How in the world did Harley NOT get picked on as a small child? Harley Davidson Cooper? :huh:

ATWT:

--Where did they get the name "Crash"? Anytime I think of it, I can only imagine one day a character getting drunk and "crash"ing their car into "Crash". :lol:

--I hated the name "Jade" when they announced plans to bring on the character, but now...I don't think any other name would fit her nearly as well as "Jade" does. :P

The Bold & the Beautiful:

--Am I the only one that thinks "Thorne" is a little odd to be naming a child?

--Since when did fashion companies use the word "Creations"? I've heard "Designs", I've heard it all. But never "Creations"...?!

Passions:

--I don't really think the question is: How do they come up with the names they do? But rather, the question is: Does their pen run away with them? Or are they all smoking illegal drugs? :wacko:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC:

Around the end of 2006 I remember reading about Bianca and Zarf moving towards coupledom. Just before Zoe came out one of the writers mentioned that no one had thought about "Barf" becoming the name for them as a couple. :huh:

Good thing Zarf got a new name, now we can call them Boe and remember the good ole' ziggy stardust days...... B)

• Members

AMC

I hate "Babe" and I'm still trying to figure out how the writers will get themselves out of the "Little Adam" corner. Speaking of which, I detest the fact that the writers in 2001 gave Adam Junior the moniker "JR" instead of AJ. Greenlee Smythe! I remember way back in the summer of 1999 when that character was announced for the first time. "AMC casts Rebecca Budig in the role of GREENLEE SMYTHE!" I was like, "what the fcuk kind of name IS that crap?!" :blink:

GH

I am still baffled about Epiphany. :unsure: I am not crazy about all of these last names as first names, either. Jax, Cooper, Logan, Morgan, Spencer. I'm surprised Skye didn't name Lila Rae "Alcazar Chandler Quartermaine"

Y&R

Drucilla? What is she, part vampire? :blink:

• Members
Newsflash. Doodlebug was not a name. If you have a child you must know that it's a pretty common thing to call the baby something... yeah well stupid before you come up with his/hers real name.

AMC

* Baby. Odd.

DAYS

* Claire. I simply don't like that name on a baby. But I can't blame TPTB for that one since the viewers voted for it. Stupid move. lol

• Members

I dont need a newsflash, I am well aware doodlebug wasn't and isnt her official name. The fact Hope had her baby for over 3 months without naming it was just stupid and thats what I should have explained better. Good to know you still post with such a charm though.

• Members

I think Ridge and Thorne might be nicknames or abbreviations.

But B&B certainly loves flora and fauna: Ridge, Thorne, Brooke, etc.

Has anybody noticed on GH the number of characters with names beginning with "L" ? Luke, Laura, Lulu, Lucky, Lila, Logan, Lucas, Lorenzo, Liz?

And how the same names repeat themselves, and not just between family members. Luke's middle name is, in fact, Lorenzo. Ric Lansing and Rick Webber. Etc.

• Members

:lol:

Most of the names on Passions are unique and I've noticed this since the beginning of the show. Before Passions, there weren't names like Sheridan or Julian on the current daytime lineup. I liked that. Most of the names on this show are names no other soap has. I liked that.

I'm growing tired of the writers on DAYS forgetting that Sami's middle name is GENE, not JEAN. Sami was given the middle name after Marlena's best friend, Eugene Bradford. The has stated numerous times lately the inaccuracy. I seem to recall EJ or Roman, can't remember who, called Sami "Sami J" and I was like, huh? :blink: That irks me

Another thing that started to piss me off was the forgetting that Zack's real name is Bearegaurd ISAAC Brady. After the baby switch drama had ended Bo and Hope decided to do away with the name Isaac and wanted something different to forget about Lexie's influence. They settled on Zack, which was kind of short for Isaac (not really though). Before Zack died, Hope was reprimanding him and called him Zachary. Say what?! I understand that actors are paid to read from scripts, but you would think Kristian Alfonso would remember something like her on-screen child's name. :lol:

On Y&R, how did Phyllis and Danny settle on calling their son Daniel? It just seems kind of strange that Danny was 'Danny' for short, but they chose to give Daniel the full name, not Danny Jr. or DJ.

• Members

I love that, for the most part, if a certain character has reached legendary status, their first name is rarely used again on other soaps. Erica, for example. There have been few Erica's in daytime because the Erica of daytime is Erica Kane. Lisa, Reva, Stephanie, and Jo are also good examples.

I'll *always* love the practice of naming kids after the mother's maiden name. Sometimes it's cheesy and lame, but I still love it.

Roger Smythe and Mary Greenlee = Greenlee Smythe

Joshua Lewis and Reva Shayne = Shayne Lewis

Adam Chandler and Liza Colby = Colby Chandler

Jack Fenelli and Mary Ryan = Ryan Fenelli

There are some others too.

Also, reading through AMC's history, I really love some of the names of the major places from the show's past. Names like Glamorama, The Serving Spoon, McKay's, Holidays, The Goalpost, The Chateau, The Boutique, etc. It's a damn shame that those places are never seen and are rarely rarely rarely ever mentioned anymore. The Chateau, Boutique, and Glamorama would be ideal settings IMO.

• Members

I just wonder some times how these people (first off...who are they?) come up with the names they come up with? What's the process they go through? Does it take long to decide upon a name for the soap's fictional setting's newest hot spot?

• Members

LOL! Yes, there are some exceptions that really just scream WTF. See, if Kendall decides to name her kid Hart, it would sound kind of nice. If Babe and JR had named their son Carey instead of Adam Chandler III, it would have actually sounded like a normal name for the most part.

And now that I think about it, AMC really can't go wrong in that department. You got possible mothers with maiden names such as Dillon, Henry, Benton, etc. The worst they could possibly do is have Lily get pregnant (years from now lol) and have her name her kid Montgomery, which isn't all that bad.

But damn...some of the other soaps are completely screwed. Norbeck Munson? Coleman Hughes? Peretti anything? Snyder anything? Emily's the only one who could do it and have it not be completely fucked up, but even Stewart is a strange name for a kid nowadays.

I'll die laughing the day OLTL introduces us to Manning Thornhart or whoever Starr ends up shacking up with.

Archived