ALL: What's In A Name?

• Members

Alison Sweeney actually mentioned this in SOD this weekend. It was one of those character trivia features and they were quizzing Sami on her character. They asked about Sami's middle name and Ali mentioned that before she started playing Sami the character middle name was Samantha Gene but somehow it got changed when she started to Jean. She said they still all sit around and try to figure out how that happened. It was probably a JER thing :lol: . I didn't think the middle name change happened that long ago. I read the article and thought that was weird.

I also see some posts in this thread that have a hostile tone to them so let's please keep discussion respectful :) .

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC's like that with the J's. Joe, Jeff Jamie, Jack, Julia, Josh, JR, Jonathan... and then Jamie's played by Justin, JR's played by Jacob and Jonathan's played by Jeff. Jeff's played by John James!! :blink:

Also, AMC's doing their best to stick with "Kate." There was, of course, Grandma Kate. Then Katie Kennicot. Then Kate "Kelsey" Jefferson. Now we're looking for Kate Cooney Martin. One of the most awkward names on this show has been Bianca's decision to name her daughter Miranda Mona Montgomery. That doesn't roll easily off the tongue.

Does anybody know where Brooke and/or Tad got James Edward Martin from? Who's Edward? I remember Tad was "dead" by the time Jamie was born in the car crash and Brooke was dating Jack at that time -- but wasn't she still hiding the fact that Jamie was Tad's and tried to be slick and name him James after Thaddeus James? That was 16 years ago, so my memory on exactly what happened is a little fuzzy. It doesn't help that I abhor Jamie now, and kinda wish he was never born.

Oh, and I've never liked the name Emma. It sounds dangerously close to Enema. I was mad when Rachel named her daughter that on Friends, and I'm mad I have to hear that name on AMC!

• Members

B&B

I think Stephanie and Eric were smoking something when they had Ridge and Thorne. WTF is with their names.

OLTL & AW

I always thought OLTL and AW had the most unique, yet realistic names in the soap biz. Though I'm not familiar with the name of Asa. I know a character on OLTL was named Pat Kendall (Ashley), which I always thought was nice. AW had some unique and yet realistic names under Harding Lemay.

GL

The names this show uses for its characters are what any other soap would use, though yes Harley is unique.

AMC

Four letters. ZARF

When Nixon was writing the show in the begining, it had some plane, yet normal names, nothing out of the ordinary.

• Members

Soap names just got weirder and weirder as time went on. Once upon a time, 'Edge of Night' was the only soap with really odd names -- Taffy, Raven, Draper, Logan, Schuyler, Winter, Miles, Ansel, Cookie, Jinx, Gunther, Preacher, Star.

But the 1980s *really* brought out the unique names. 'Santa Barbara' was full of them. I'd never heard of a Mason, Eden, Augusta, Jade, Santana, or Laken before SB. When B&B 1st premiered, it was widely commented on for all the nature names -- Brooke, Ridge, Thorne, Storm. Then again, names in real life have gotten odder and more unique as time as gone on, too.

• Members

re names like ridge, thorne, greenlee, etc... all these chars come from rich parents, and i figure the writers were trying to think of rich type names and got those. odd yes, but it wouldnt suprsie me if people named there kids those names, even back in the day.

Archived