DAYS: Sheffer Out!?

• Members

I thought it was only the Annie storyline on GL that was a fan/critical victory for B&E. I seem to remember them being hated during their run on GL. The Loving Murders were great, Annie Dutton come undone was great, but I thought they sucked on everything else. My god they butchered Lucy Coe on PC.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B&E's success came only at their first year (1997) at GL. Once the clone story hit, it was one clunker after another. In 1999 they introduced the Santos family, which shifted the focus on half a cast of newbies. Luckily for GL (and B&E), their ratings didn't suffer terribly under most of their run. For a few weeks during the summer of 1998 (ironically during the clone story) GL was at No. 5.

• Members

I don't know why some people say that Beth's work was good because she got the endings of JER stories so it was simply fun because it was the climaxes of the stories. Beth wrote nice character interaction as well! She had little things!

Hogan had a MAJOR plot point... a kidney removal involving FOUR MAJOR CHARACTERS (and consequences that should have happened, but didn't, would involved many more MAJOR players) and he turned that into a such a non-event. So I don't see how anyone could say that Hogan is not responsible for bad ratings.. it's his fault too.. Cordays and his... IMO...

• Members

OK, don't throw stuff at me... but I thought their GL stories were great. They also wrote "The Loving Murders", which was the best murder mystery on any soap opera since Edge of Night went off the air.

Having said THAT... I know their writing styles don't mesh with a lot of viewers, like Port Charles, etc. Also, I don't buy this crap for a minute that Hogan's done unless it was his own choice. If that's the case, then way to go Ken. You get rid of a clown as headwriter, which was the best move you made in years, and then you drive away a reputable writer??

• Members

OK, don't throw stuff at me... but I thought their GL stories were great. They also wrote "The Loving Murders", which was the best murder mystery on any soap opera since Edge of Night went off the air.

Having said THAT... I know their writing styles don't mesh with a lot of viewers, like Port Charles, etc. Also, I don't buy this crap for a minute that Hogan's done unless it was his own choice. If that's the case, then way to go Ken. You get rid of a clown as headwriter, which was the best move you made in years, and then you drive away a reputable writer??

• Members

DId no one else watch The City? In many ways I think it was what a "modern" soap should be--and one of the few attempts to make one without core families that still managed to have that core family feel. they were also brilliant onLoving but they were brougth on basically to transform it to Loving--and before that Addie Walsh and Agnes Nixon had made that show pretty great so they had great stuff to work on.

• Members

Please, do not bring me into this as this is not my spumor. I did post over a month ago that Sheffer was told to make changes, part of which was to bring the vets back on front burner and if ratings didn't improve he would be out and most likely replaced by Milstein. That was it! So if you are going to down me, at least be right about your facts. As for everyone saying Sheffer is innocent in all of this, you might want to rethink that. Let's look at what Sheffer had to say in earlier interviews:

From TV Guide:

About the DiMeras....

Let's start with Sheffer's take on the DiMera clan, that dynasty of deviants who've been stirring up terror in Salem since the '80s. "When I first got this job," Sheffer says, "everybody told me, 'You need to bring back the DiMeras.' This is the perfect time for that. I want to reward longtime Days fans by tapping the show's history of romance and old-school villains."

Need I say it? OK, I suppose I must... SPOILER ALERT!

Will Stefano DiMera return to Salem?

I outright told Sheffer that Days just shouldn't do any more DiMera stories sans Stefano DiMera, the cagey "Phoenix" himself. Daytime vet Joseph Mascolo recently left The Bold and the Beautiful and I've heard word he's returning to Days to reprise his signature Stefano role. True?

"Our problem, at the moment," Sheffer says, "is I don't know if [Mascolo] is willing to come back for a short span. We have to think about what to do about that. The first thing we'll do is make sure there's another generation of the DiMera family on the canvas. We need to start passing down those attributes that have been so successful to the next generation. The [younger] generation on this show is sitting around doing nothing."

From TV Guide

About the history of the show.

He would occasionally check it out, but never watched. The show sent him 20 dvds to get him caught up with stuff and history.

Obviously he didn't get enough DVDs as Jessica and Josh had a baby girl!

Another quote from TV Guide

It's about setting up the younger generation to accept power from the older.

So are you really surprised the vets have been sidelined!

And yet another quote from TV Guide

Sheffer will NOT introduce new families. Says that there has been an erosion of the Hortons, so that now everyone's a Brady and there's incest. First thing was to find some Hortons who are in their late teens/early 20s.

"...but I have no desire to bring in my own family. I think that's despicable. I really do."

Says audience doesn't have investment in new families.

Let me see, wasn't Willow one of his very first creations and didn't he try expanding her family?

The problem is not all Corday. Corday problem is he isn't the brightest bulb in the box and doesn't know how to run a show. He depends greatly on the HW. And part of the HW's job is not only to write well, but to make a bible for the show which means what his intentions are with the characters of the show for the upcoming year or longer. The best HW for DAYS ever was Sheri Anderson because she was also a fan of the show. DAYS is unique and it takes a real fan to write the show and not someone who viewed 20 DVDs.

So trash me if that's how you get your jollies, but at least trash me with authenic information. You may think I am full of crap, but my board will tell you otherwise. Everything you are finding out this week from SOD and SOW, my board already knew about. And honestly, what is there to make up about DAYS besides these outlandish things I have been hearing these past two months from certain posters. None of that crap originated from me. I'm still waiting to see this male rape or this big ice storm! FCOL and you have the nerve to bash me! Get your facts straight please!

PS, I am only posting a reply because members of my board made me aware of this post and said WTF? as I haven't posted over here in like almost 9 months! So if you don't want me posting here, keep my name out of posts and I am more than glad to do so. I've been around for 3 years now and have a PROVEN track record. If I were so full of crap do you really think I would be around this long? GMAFB already!

Edited to state.... BTW... I was known as Baby Brady.

• Members

B&E wrote serial killer story after serial killer story on TC and Loving. After the first two or so it got real old. They wrote Clone Reva and the Nursery Rhyme Stalker which made Holly a psycho, two of that show's worst ever stories. To this day many GL fans feel that era crippled it, Annie or no Annie. They wrote PC into the grave.

Only in my eyes, dear.

As for this thread, I suggest everyone take a closer look at the original poster.

• Members

Maybe if Hogan gets a co-writer, that would seem more plausible. Despite my lack of interest in Hogan's stint so far, I don't think yet another transition will be beneficial to the show. Anybody remember Cwikly & Brash? Man, that was an awesome team! Maybe Hogan can team up with one of them (or both). That would make an interesting show...indeed. Ah, listen to me...I'm talking as if this is confirmed or something. Water sign imagination :rolleyes:

Archived