DAYS: Sheffer Out!?

• Members

DAYS started sinking when B&E came on. IMO, they are the problem. Hogan has a few good months under his belt. Whatever happened happened but I don't think his immediate demise is the answer (Especially for the alternative of B&E, they are bad news, they were bad news supporting on OLTL and they shouldn't have free reign at all). So far DAYS was at its CONSISTENT best with Beth Milstein and she should be the one taking over.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm torn about this information.

On one hand, I loved what Esensten & Brown did at "Guiding Light." I absolutely LOVED the show back when they were writing. They wrote my favorite era, all the way from the evil machinations of Annie Dutton and Dinah to the "Nursery Rhyme Stalker" storyline to the fabulous pairing of Danny/Michelle with the introduction of the Santoses. The show was must-see every day, every episode ended with a cliffhanger... the plots were great. They wrote well for the show veterans, as well as the newer characters. The show was fantastic! I've not been a regular GL viewer ever since they left...

That said.. I haven't been too crazy about the stuff of theirs I've seen on other shows. Plus, I noticed that Days started to take a nosedive right about the time they were hired on. Could they be the reason, or is it just a coincidence?

Hogan Sheffer isn't a bad writer at Days. The stories he's telling aren't bad -- really. The focus is just on the wrong characters right now. As we know, that's being fixed, so by the time June rolls around, we could have some serious full-fledged drama going on.

• Members

Apparently this rumor originated on Baby Brady's board, which means I wouldn't give it any credibility. :lol:

This Baby Brady person is known for making up absolute [!@#$%^&*] and pretending she is some sort of DAYS insider. :rolleyes:

• Members

Well, thanks for that....RavenWhitney...but I think I'll check for independent corroboration from another Sharon Gabet character. Or perhaps a backstage electrician/moonlighting male stripper.

• Members

I believe Sheffer has been monkeying around with the writing staff and brought in the wrong ones.

What I don't understand is why he didn't keep Beth Milstein as co-HW. She was the one that I totally loved before

Sheffer took over. Of course, I'm not trying to say this is all Sheffer's fault. Corday bears most of the responsibility and as usual, he screwed up.

• Members

I have never and will never understand the "oh the amazing Beth Milstein" fan mythology. She seemed like a fine enough writer in her brief time as interim writer, sure, but she was dealing with horrible Reilly stories and the dialogue was still not great. She did what she could but it seemed like she got way too much credit and attention by fans due to a certain stirring up and a lot of fan hope that the show could be fixed (and it was, later) . She simply held the line and tried to mitigate further crap while waiting for Hogan Sheffer, and she should be commended for her good efforts. But that doesn't make her "brilliant" or "the best it's been in years." I found the show much better starting with October. Under Beth Milstein I got no sense of what she could actually write in terms of new stories and so I have no reason to believe she was as good or better than Hogan Sheffer.

• Members

I definitely do not think she was amazing LOL but she did a better job than Hogan has done so far. Hogan has been very inconsistent in his story telling (and that doesn't even involve his use of the vets), Beth touched on every beat and featured the entire cast and touched every beat. Sure Hogan can do that, but he hasn't yet. October and November were still very slow for the show and the balance was still a little off, December was Hogan's only awesome month IMO.

• Members

I'm not a fan of Esensten and Brown's work very much. I liked SOME of their Port Charles but they made too many mistakes and got rid of too many characters.

I did love their GL for the most part. There tenure is what got me hooked on GL.

Archived