March 5-9, 2007

Toups

• Members

I myself don't mind new characters entering the show, but what bugs me is when the new characters become the show, that is when there is a probelm, like Roger said Gwen, Maddie, Will, Casey were not around or were not well known 2 years ago, and now they are the show, that is what is wrong, what I would like to see happen with new characters is that they are slowly inteduced for several years, so we get to know them, and in the mean time the core family's of the soaps should be getting the storyline time, after a several years if you want to give the newbie a storyline that is fine, just as long as the don't become the whole show, which from what I am reading is happening to most of the shows right now, all the storyline time goes to characters that most of the old time fans don't even know or even care about, that is what needs to change, stop trying to get new fans and try to focus on your fans that have been watching for decades, that is what would help ratings out, I am sure some of the long term fans that gave up would even come back if they heard there show was going back to the core family's and away from all the newbies to the show. I totally understand soaps need new viewers, and they think this is the way to do it, but is not working, it has not worked, so the question is why are they still trying to do it this way. Even better question why are more and more soaps doing this if it is not working.

Also like I stated in another post alot of the problem is these fanbase junkies that can't get enough of there character and have to see them everyday, and for whatever reason the people in charge of the show keep on lisening to them, lets face it most of these fanbases are about the actor not the character, Paul for example on ATWT most of his fans are RH fans which followed him from OLTL, and they don't give a rats ass about ATWT as a whole all they care about is RH's Paul, you just can't run a soap like that, it does not work. Same thing can be said about Will and Gwen fans, they don't really care about the whole show, from what I can tell they FF most of the show unless Will and Gwen are on, I just don't understand why the writers feel the need to follow what the fanbases want.

Another point about the bringing new people to the show, is that from what I read most of these new people want the same thing we want, storylines that are revolved around family and core characters, they have no need for new characters either, so all in all I just don't understand what TPTB on these soaps are thinking most of the time, they are not doing what the fans want at all, just what the fanbases want, even if it is a story the fanbases don't like, they are still doing the stories to make them happy. I really think if we had solid soaps based on what soaps were meant to be these fanbases would stop pimping there characters and watch the whole show for a change, because they would have nothing to pimp. I really think soaps started going down hill the day the interent was invented, it's the major problem, before then there might have been these fanbases but they were no where near what they are today, and back then the show's were built around all the charcters not just 4-5.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hope for ATWT to show up on SoapNet. Seeing the classics of ATWT is 100% better than the crap Jean Passanante and Christopher Goutman are feeding us! Jean and Christopher could learn something from watching the classics and Douglas Marland's great work!

• Members

I know. I was not holding the viewers accountable even though it sounded like it. I was just saying it made me sad because I know Days is gone in 2009.

There is no excuse for not showing the vets now. No excuse at all. Hogan does need to step it up and pronto NBC causing the ratings or no NBC causing the ratings. Whatever the case it's obvious he needs to do something.

• Members

I was thinking... I don't want Ken Corday to come out and say something... he's always lying...

I want one of the actors to come out and say it... yes, Corday might fire them... or NOT! Corday knows without BIG 4 he won't have his show... so he won't fire them. We have proof now that this is what happens when you don't feature the BIG 4! So one of them should come out and be honest with the fans!

Cause I wanna know if this is the budget, if this is just Hogan not wanting to write for vets or this is vacations (which I don't believe, but okay..)!

If Corday came out and said something, I'm not sure how much of his bull I'd believe...

• Members

The teens need to be supporting to the cast right now. They have been front and center too long. Let Will and Gwen be happy for a change. Let Casey be there for his folks. Get Margo and Tom a storyline and let Casey be a supporting character and not a lead. The same with Will and Barbara.

Get rid of Roger Howarth. The guy cant act! He sucks as Paul. He has never been Paul to me. I bet his salary is real high too. Recast the damn role! Bring back Andrew Kavovit. Make Paul likeable again. Stop these ridiculous, outlandish storylines with him.

Axe Jade from the show. She has not contributed one darn thing to the show! What is her purpose on the show? Iva hasnt even met her grandchild. What about Emma? Has she had any scenes with her great grandchlld? NO!

Stop bringing in newbies and actors who can't act. You know who they are and focus on the damn vets!

• Members

P&G already has it's own classic soap channel at AOL Video but they said they can't show classic ATWT and GL for some reason. Them being on the air makes it more difficult apparently and the agreements to distribute weren't in place with the actors and those involved in the classic shows. I don't understand the details but that's why you don't see classic ATWT there.

winterguy, I agree with your points. I wouldn't even mind Gwen and Maddie so much but they just murdered (or think they did) someone and buried him and are covering it up. THESE are the types of characters that we're supposed to root for? It's a credit to the actors on this show to make all their criminal behavior as tolerable as it is. Criminals are the heroes of soaps and less and less people can relate.

• Members

I will add that it is fine to have your favorites on a soap we all do, I don't care who you are you do have favorites, but I just don't like the non-stop pimping that alot of fanbases do. It is fine for you to voice your opinion about who you like on these message boards or write in once in a while in support of who you like, but when people start starting 50 threads a day about characters and write 500 letters a week to the show about there favorite that is when it becomes extreme, and that is what most of these fanbases are, totally in love with there actor and character and that is about it. Look at CBS's letter rip for example most of it is all being done by the same people on a weekly base and it is all about there character and not about the whole show, what I would like to see is letters being sent and messages on these boards that revolve around the whole show and not some soap star or actor crush that a person has.

• Members

And the spoilers I have read don't sound any better. Bringing back Scott Bryce is one step in the right direction. But I think the main problem is with the writing of Jean Passanante and the vision of ATWT from Christopher Goutman. They need to be fired pronto! They are butchering the show very quickly!

• Members
YOUR post is sooooooo true! When will the soaps get it????????! You gotta give everyone a strong story// i disagree slightly with your post..People DO want to see Patch and Kayla.But in a strong story and not at the expense of john and marlena and bo and hope.Just imagine if bo hope kayla steve john and marlena would all have a strong story?! Backups lucas and sami and shawn and belle had a b story....WAKE up Ken corday wake up!

• Members

Just horrible numbers for ATWT. At the bottom of every category even with the males. They usually have a hold on #3 and now they have dropped all the way down to #6. And still they have Jean Passanante writing it and Christopher Goutman as producer. Come on CBS dump these two! If true, now I know why ATWT was only renewed for 1 year. JP and CG are doing what they did to AW now to ATWT. Hacks!!!

• Members

Well he shouldn't.

A ) his show is still the worst on daytime, regardless of ratings.

B ) his show also tied a new low this week.

C ) his show is still cancelled.

D ) he helped destroy two daytime soaps.

E ) he is still going to be unemployed in 5 months and will still be going down as a laughing stock.

Archived