March 5-9, 2007

Toups

• Members
The fact that days may get cancelled several years from now has nothing to do with NOW...If days had all of its people working and in good stories the fans would watch...Days has problems BIG ones..Why arent they using Diedre Hall and Drake and the rest of the talents?IT makes no sense at a time when you want people to watch and give NBC a reason to keep it on!We need to stop making excuses for days.The ratings have sunk becuase they arent happy with the show and its STORYLINES......

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know no offence to anyone but if you aren't interested in ATWT then why bother watching it? I am sick of people acting like its Jennifer Landon's fault that she is shown everyday. Its not like she is walking up to Christopher Goutman and saying "put me on TV everyday or else". As for the Emmy thing I think the girl deserves to be showcased. Maybe not this much but at least she deserves to be on the screen. Jennifer Landon and Jesse Soffer have a HUGE fanbase that support them and "Willen" which is probably alot of the reason they are onf or.

All you have to do is fast forward through the scenes you don't like. It is as simple as that.

As for Paul what are you talking about? He has HARDLY been shown at all on screen.

• Members

IT doesn't matter if a couple or a performer has a big fanbase or not - that shouldn't allow them to be on everyday. And no one has meant anything personal toward Jennifer Landon. No show should ever revolve around one character or one actress.

I know for 100% sure that if tomorrow the tide changed and suddenly Jack & Carly were on everyday or Craig/Meg or even Tom/Margo and Will/Gwen weren't shown everyday things would be different. No one is saying they want their characters on everyday either - we just want a balance.

Soaps are not about 1 person or 1 couple - they are about an ensemble - and until THE POWERS THAT BE realize that again ratings are going to just keep sliding right on down.

When ATWT reverted back to it, that is when ratings started to fall. Now that Days is doing it, ratings are falling. It don't work - why can't they see that.

• Members

That is just your opinion and IMO you are WRONG.

If you have ever watched a soap that was canceled you know how painful it can be. And unfortunately for DOOL the news broke while it was still in transition due to the new HW. I'm sure TPTB expected to lose some lifelong fans but the news that DOOL has no future with NBC has stopped a lot of people from either investing or reinvesting into the show. I know a lot of people that temporarily tuned into AMC and are now switching to Y&R. EVEN I thought about watching more Y&R so that I would have something to tune into if DOOL doesn't get a new home.

IMO DOOL might not be at the top of its game but it certainly doesn't deserve the ratings it's been getting. Hopefully people will get past the sense of doom and start enjoying the show for as long as it lasts.

• Members

I post on several DAYS boards and the vast majority of posters who have tuned out since January have cited boring storylines or the absence of their faves as the reason. I have not seen more than a handful cite Zucker's announcement as a reason. Even if the news did have an effect on viewers' mindsets, DAYS has made it very easy for people to disinvest by loading the canvas with unfamiliar faces. If the core characters were involved in big stories, their fans would keep tuning in until the bitter end and would be campaigning furiously for NBC to reverse their decision. However, when everyone on the frontburner (bar Sami & Lucas) is a newbie or relative newbie, the fans think "why bother"?

• Members

You are right that it is just an opinion. And there are many of us out there who feel that the announcement has very little to do with Days ratings. I have seen the same opinion posted over at Sony boards, SoapCentral, and several others. Passions is definitely going but their ratings have not dropped that much since the announcement. If anything they rebounded for a few weeks. Other shows have faced these cancellation rumors and they didn't have the big drops. This is about the stories and the balance and that is it.

I can assure you if the show regains focus and starts telling stories that are halfway decent and not boring the ratings will go back up.

Days may not deserve to be as low as it is but it doesn't deserve good ratings either. The show has been boring for quite some time now and it is not just about the 4 being off the screen but they aren't there even when they should be. That is the problem. Sloppy writing like that and sloppy production like that should not be rewarded - no matter how good the acting or how good the dialogue might be.

• Members

Very well said Ponz. The "why bother" goes back to it not feeling like Days that they are fighting for but a whole new show altogether because of having no connection with the show anymore.

Passions fans are still fighting because the characters they love are still there. GL fans are still fighting because even though we lost a lot of vets the ones that are still there are still on screen and still featured. You have got to give fans someone to care about and families esp. to care about.

• Members

I don't think so at all... I think that is just another excuse people are using to defend their shows. The logicality is not there and next week when (or IF) the ratings go up it also won't follow that logicalness. GL had a surge of viewers just recently.

When fans hear their favorite show is ending they often tune in to see how it is going to end. That why last seasons for many shows that are popular usually get bigger ratings. By that logic, Friends would have sunk to lows during its last few seasons when it was declared it would be finished and all the others. People want to see their shows go out on a very creative note but that is what fans are missing. I'm sure when things get fixed creatively with DAYS viewers will return despite the few that may know about DAYS not likely to be continued past 2009 (and there aren't that many, IMO).

• Members

The difference with "Friends" is that it wasn't undergoing a transition before it ended. DOOL isn't like "Friends" it's more like the last season of "Northern Exposure". And I'm not saying that there isn't a problem with the lack of vets on DOOL I'm just saying that the overall writing is still good. Most of the actors have talked about how much they enjoy the scripts they are now being given, a refreshing change from the days of JER.

IMO here are far worse shows on air right now that are getting better ratings.

• Members

The ratings for the soaps suck because the writing is bad and the vets are being featured. I really wonder if the HW and EP actually see what they put out in the air. Because if they did they would know something was wrong with their show. Just by looking at one episode of ATWT and I can see there are problems. Why cant TPTB?

• Members

Okay, I just finished watching all five of last week's DAYS and I must say I really enjoyed the show. Why viewers are tuning out is really a mystery to me. The show isn't awful and its definitely better than it was 2-3 years ago under JER. I truly think TPTB are damned if they do and damned if they don't at this point. It seems that the fans aren't happy with anything they do. Yes, maybe Bo & Hope and John & Marlena shouldn't have been backburned at the same time, but I'm loving Chelsea & Nick and Sami & Lucas. Steve & Kayla are a bust for me without Joseph Mascolo, but overall I liked what I saw. Days is definitely still a contender and I think it will get out of this ratings rut soon.

Archived