March 5-9, 2007

Toups

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DAYS fans are extremely fickle. I constantly hear how AMC and Y&R aren't want they used to be but their ratings aren't dipping like that especially Y&R which has gone UP a couple of times. Plus DAYS has been a suck fest for a good ten years now while the other two haven't been consistently stupid.

I don't know why these people didn't quit watching a year ago when Reilly was doing flashbacks to what happened yesterday 3 or 4 times in one episode every single day.

• Members

It goes back to the same thing we have been saying OVER AND OVER. If you have characters that people are attached to on people will stick around. They care about those characters. They are family members to them and it is harder to abandon family members that you have known for years.

When AMC last summer put all that emphasis on the new Colby and all that bunch their ratings dropped too. But they went back to featuring regular characters some and people started back watching.

Even though Reilly's writing was bad it was about people that they loved and had been around. Y&R has changed but it is still about the Abbots & the Newmans for the majority and Kay & Jill.

How many times have we read in the last month that people don't feel an attachment to Days anymore. I read it 3 times yesterday alone - one by me. They don't have any attachment to the majority of the characters that are on, and now it is easier to walk away. That is why you see more people walking. It is just easier now.

Last fall when I quit over the Stefano stuff, it was everything I could do to walk away and I couldn't stay away. Right now I can miss for 2 or 3 days in a row and not even think about it. With so many characters I care about being gone or not even part of the show on a regular basis it is almost like they aren't there anymore so it is just easier. I am still watching. I watched yesterday live and then again on SoapNet last night. I didn't enjoy it. I watched the 2nd time just because there was nothing else on. If GL had been on I wouldn't have watched live. But I was trying to give Days a chance, but when they are not doing anything to keep me glued it is hard to give them a chance.

• Members

I think a lot of this is GH's problem also. But GH does FAR more catering to fanbases then a lot of soaps. So much so in fact, that it comes at the expense of their story telling. I'm all for fans fighting for their character of their couple (LOL, if people only knew the half of what I did for Erica/Josh) but I've always been the type who wouldnt do it for the expense of the show. There needs to be a balance I think, between fanbase politics and the way storylines are dictated. Sometimes, as shitty as a lot of these writers write, I still think that they should be allowed to write the storyline from start to finish the way they originally planned.

I feel bad for Days and the Days fans. :( I keep hoping things will get better. I don't feel bad that AMC and GH dropped, however. Both shows are showing their true colors. Sweeps are always good for AMC, and exceptoinal for GH. But it's always just flash and showy, pomp and circumstance. The day-in day-out writing fot those shows is very subpar and the ratings post sweeps continues to show that fans want substance, not pretty and flashy.

• Members

I totally agree. The last 3-4 years when the storylines were atrotious, I could at least tune in and be somwhat interested because it involved characters I've known, loved, and watched for years. The current stuff is featuring way to many newbies, recasts, or secondary characters that I can easily miss an episode or 3 during the week and I don't feel obligated to try to play catch-up on SoapNet on Sunday night.

It was a weird feeling watching the episode earlier this week when Willow accidently set Bo & Hope's house on fire because it felt like we were being reintroduced to Hope as she played with "doodlebug", whom we now know is named Ciara (sadly, there was no special moment between Bo & Hope where they decided on the name together). Hope was playing second-fiddle to the Willow & EJ story twist. We've seen more fallout from this latest twist from the side of Willow and EJ than Bo & Hope. The newbies are getting the A-stories, while the veterans are the afterthoughts. (P.S... Personally, I place Steve/Kayla in with the newbies for a number of reasons)

• Members

I wonder what it will take this time for TPTB at DAYS to realize Hogan and the writers' obsession with Shelle, Chick, Mabby, Payla, Lumi, Swillow, and Darth Elvis is driving fans away in droves. Despite me liking everyone except for Swillow and her zombie brother, the stories are more boring than watching paint dry. I'm not saying it should be constant action, but look what's happened since December, which was the last best month:

-Nothing exciting for sweeps

-Giving huge chunks of airtime to a worthless character who has maybe 10 fans

-Constant focus on characters whose actors/actresses have been on the show less than 3 years (except for Lumi)

-Yet another DiMera trying to terrorize and control everyone in town

-Putting a beloved couple in a silly storyline that is more suited to JER's taste

-No John, Marlena Alice, and only a few scenes with Hope, Maggie, Kate, and Caroline

-Characters are being isolated again into their own stories

I tuned for a little bit on Wednesday and Monday, but I haven't watched an entire episode in four weeks. If this is the route the writers and Corday are going to go, even my little bit here and there will stop completely. I don't think even the returns of Adrienne and Jack will generate enough interest for me to tune in.

• Members

Thursday and Friday for DAYS, where imo, pretty good but still lacking. Ratings are proving that this is not what the fans want so I hope Hogan and Corday wake up and do something about this.

I don't really lay all of the blame at Hogan, but IMO, I don't think he likes a lot of stories going on at once, which is fine but PLAY OUT ALL THE BEATS! Let us see interactions, let us see reactions and fall out. That's lacking, a lot of times. Marlena should be front burner, searching for Belle, worrying about her, worrying about Sami ... there's a lot that could be written for her! What happened to Hogan turning Marlena into the matriarch? Kind of hard when he never uses her!

And poor Alice was propped out at Christmas, but since September of 2006, she has been seen ONCE. That's ridiculous. I realize Frances is in ill health, but still seems capable of at least appearing once or twice a month ...

• Members

The shows have all gone too far with the bad guys. It started with the anti-hero who was flawed but had a heart of gold. Now those leading men are mobsters and killers. Amazingly, some fans love that but a number of fans don't. It's the producers fault for creating this crap.

I'm not convinced the shows take some of this fanbase stuff very seriously. I mean, look at all the magazine polls. Favorite actor or actress are total jokes in some cases. No one can tell me Roger Howarth is the most popular actor on ATWT. He has his fans, mostly from OLTL, but no way is he ATWT's fan's favorite. I know there is a lot of campaigning and I would hope the shows don't cave in.

It really goes too far in some cases. I opened my SOD last week and on the first page was a story about Days fans sending in bed sheets and being mad. I was like, WTF. Why are FANS now becoming the stories? I want to see stories and news about the shows instead of stories about fans complaining about bed sheets. Geez. That's when you know things are out of control.

Hogan's first few years at ATWT were all about the "new" Craig. Some liked him, but I couldn't stand it because he was on every day, always won any battle, and didn't have any of Scott Bryce's vulnerability. I wondered if on Days, Hogan was going to latch onto one central male to dominate the show. Sounds like EJ from some of the comments here. I don't really know though since I'm not an every day viewer.

Archived