February 5-9, 2007

Toups

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is definitely a challenge to Days to step it up. And from the spoilers it sounds as if they will. I just hope that the spoilers don't sound better than they actually will be. As I said earlier the spoilers made John/Marlena's story sound a lot better but the execution has been terrible in my opinion.

But Days does need to step it up.

The biggest concern for me is that even with the college kids being included now Days is still getting 2.4's for some days. That is not good esp. with them being added in. Back at the end of December and first of January the 2.4 dailies had disappeared for awhile.

I know that the balance has been a little better last week and this but even with balance you have got to kick the stories up to get people to keep tuning in and want to come back. I don't like all action all the time. We've talked about that before, but for today's viewers you can only go 1 or 2 weeks without some kind of action or you lose them. Today's viewers expect action. Many of them don't want the slow character driven stories anymore. ATWT learned that over the last few months. They let their balance get off, and their stories got very boring. It knocked them all the way back down to a 2.4 weekly rating. Even the last few weeks when they tried to restore their balance and we all commented on that the stories were still boring. Until the stories picked back up some, people still wouldn't tune in.

I hope as Ryan said this will be a challenge to Days.

The biggest concern I have for Days is all the rumors that the affiliates are already looking to drop Days when Passions goes. If Hogan can step it up and get the ratings up, they will be less likely to do that. IF the ratings continue to stagnate, I just don't see that as enough incentive for them to stick with it. And when the affilates start dropping it or moving it around - it won't be pretty. And that scares me more than anything.

• Members

I agree Andre, The show is good, but good in a boring way.

Yeah Kirk, That's bad. I think the last time DAYS was #2 was 3-4 years ago when GH beat them.

But DAYS has only lost their #1 spot 9 times in 11 1/2 years. so I don't guess it's that bad

• Members

That's the problem when its competition steps it up for sweeps and DAYS airs boring stuff. I am loving DAYS right now but there isnt' anything to draw viewers to it. The stories are plain and really nonsensational. Where is the intrigue? Where is the intensity? DAYS had that around x-mas but the show has fizzled.

• Members

the thing that sucks most about Days dropping is they most likely aren't going to be able to increase their budget now...Ad rates/budget are set with how soaps perform during sweeps...and we probably won't be seeing much of john, marlena, bo, and hope for a while...

• Members

I still don't buy the budget is the only reason why Bo/Hope/John/Marlena are off right. Bo and Hope are just on the backburner (more Hope then Bo) and I think alto of J&M's lack of airtime was Drake taking time off and that left Dee out of the loop. The J&M story was clearly re-written in some places because it doesn't sound at all like what it was supposed to be. Stories don't get re-written that quick because of budget reasons. If it were budget reasons, this would've been planned and we wouldn't have had spoilers making it seem like J&M would be prominent when they wouldn't be. This seems to be a manifestation of Drake probably asking for some time and them accomodating him and re-writing some things. They were on pretty frequently and then just dropped off the map for awhile and started being used here and there. That doesn't seem planned to me. Bo and Hope's appearances seem planned but they both had long overdue vacations and still they have been around a bit. They were due for some backburner time and Bo still has appeared quite a bit.

I do think Days will start picking it up in the next few weeks. They always seem to drag things a bit when the competition is tough and then they jump up in months where everyone is down. We'll see.

• Members

Looks like the 3 top soaps are distancing themselves from the other soaps. Glad to see Y&R up. It was a good week for them. I am also happy to see ATWT up in HHs. It was a good week last week. This week has been even better. And why did B&B go up? I don't think it is that great.

Great that ATWT ended at #5 for Friday's show. Boads well for next week.

• Members

I understand why Days' ratings are this way. I don't like it that they are like this, but it is because of nothing interesting happening with the vets.

Yeah, they have gotten some airtime but airtime does not matter if stories do not move. I am not trying to criticize Sheffer, but I am pointing out why even with airtime the ratings are lower. Bope barely even has a story....Jarlena is moving slow.

Budget cannot be a problem here because even if Corday is broke I believe he still has to pay the contract people no matter what. Recurring is where if you don't air you don't get payed thing.

Here is what I think could be going on: Sheffer is having the Shelle story get alot of airtime now so it can be out of the way later. This is a big story and needs to be handled first. Also, we saw a bunch of vets in December and there was some but not alot of focus on the Shelle stuff. Yeah, the Shelle focus has been going on for over a month but as I said he might just be giving it lots of airtime so it can be backburned later.

If Hogan dared start totally backburning it now, there would be alot of criticizing going on. Shelle has been one of the very important stories ever since before Hogan came on. Hogan is also I believe trying to make Philip the new Victor. That seems to be one of the first things on his priority list. He couldn't backburn it now. I am not saying I want all this Shelle airtime but this story needs to be frontburner right now.

• Members

DAYS drop started from last week when it went from a 2.7 on Thursday to a 2.4 on Friday, that's when it all started going down and that's when there was nothing interesting going on and the focus was on the non-important LOL. No characters/actors can be blamed from the drop but the overall lack of anything doing. Storylines dropping out of nowhere. I pretty much agree with what Andre and CSW said, the show is good but in a boring kind of way.

• Members

Supposedly, actors only have to be paid their guarantees at the END of the contract. So if they aren't appearing, they earn nothing in the meantime. Corday might be deferring the salaries in the hope that he can eventually stump up the cash.

• Members

Hopefully this big demo ratings drop for Days, will wake up Hogan and Corday...and make them realize that they need to do some big events for sweeps...Most of the other soaps are doing it and getting nice increases..but days is stagnant and dropping...

I would love to have an explosion, a hostage situation, a murder mystery, something huge to get fans to take notice that things have changed at Days...and it is a better soap now under Hogan..

Archived