American Idol: Discussion Thread

R!ck

• Members

I agree about Randy. Not sure about the reverse racist angle even though he has come down hard on some for no reason at times and I have had heard others mention it. I remember he and Simon came down hard on Katherine McPhee last year and then apologized the next day because they said they watched it back and were too harsh and that she did very well. He sits there and says take risks and then tells them they can't take on Mariah, Whitney, or whatever. I am ok when he mentions to the person that they shouldn't take on a song that they can't keep up with or that is not in their range but when he just says that they can't take that person on and gives no reason then that is what bugs me.

Simon is the only one on panel that actually is credible IMO. Randy used to be but he is only once in awhile on point. Simon makes his mistakes and is sometimes too harsh but he is honest and has a good perception for who could make it and who can make a name for themselves down the line. Paula has been better this year IMO. She is being a bit more technical and offering some reasonable advice. I was glad Ryan called Randy out on his crap yesterday. Hopefully, he wakes up. The judges always seem all over the place in this round. Only when they get to the top 12 do they get better and start making sense in most of their judgements (except the McPhee one I mentioned from last year).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've almost always agreed with Simon. Every time, except when he totally trashes a person. I always laugh when he tells a person to pack their bags or they are going home. They never do (at least to my knowledge).

Paula's gotten better.

Randy's just .... crappy this year. I loved RYan calling him on his crap and Ryan was spot on. Randy refusing to admit that is hilarious.

It's always bugged me how Randy says you cant take on Mariah, Stevie, Celine, etc. Well, what the hell else are they supposed to sing? Isn't it about taking a song and making it your own? Sounding good? He's so hypocritical when he says they "won't be them". OF COURSE THEY WON'T! LOL.

Not surprised at all on who were sent home tonight.

Although, Jean, for DialIdol, it's pretty accurate (very accurate) but the bottom two in the numbers aren't always the "bottom two" or those going home, but it gives a good perception on who is doing well and who isn't.

• Members

Was anyone else shocked that Rudy was one of the guys to leave? I surely was and it looked to me as though the judges were very upset when it dawned on them that Sanjaya or Rudy would be going. Oh, well. He probably wouldn't have won, but I really hated that he had to go tonight.

The girls unfortunately were obvious. There are sizzling singers in this group and merely good singers dont' stand a chance. I think the next two are obvious, too.

I LOVE Fantasia. She really rocked the house and I was so happy for her. She was my choice even though Diana was so cute and fun as well as a good singer. Fantasia has a quality all her own.

• Members

Definitely was shocked that Rudy is gone. I thought he was one of the 5 best. Paul Kim was one of my early faves, and he shouldn't have left yet either. Who in their right mind thought Sanjaya or Sundance sung good. Gotta be crazy teen girls for Sanjaya and I don't who'd vote for Sundance?

I wish lousy Antonella got the axe, she's absolutely horrible. Much worse than Amy.

• Members

all those who were eliminated were expected bc neither of those 4 were any good. Im glad Rudy is gone bc he was cheesy and corny like Simon said. Im surprised Alina (sp) is still there though bc she was easily the worst out of the 24. She should have been eliminated

• Members

It's too hard to go for the worst up so try the best down.

My best listing:

LaKisha

Melinda

Sabrina

Jordan

Stephanie

Gina

Now that is six but, Gina got less votes than Antonella so it will be interesting to see whose place Antonella takes over if she actually makes the top 6 girls. Remember she is in the Vote for the Worst group, so most likely she will be boosted for some time.

• Members

I do think the right people went home.

Antonella was bad but I knew she wouldn't. Her looks and the fact that we have seen ALOT of her helped alot. That is why I hate when Idol shows too much of certain people early on because they build a fanbase faster then others that don't get shown so it makes it hard for some. They really have to standout early on in the performance shows if they want to advance and others, who have been seen alot, don't have to go all out because they have an advantage.

Sanjaya should have went home. Nice kid but he is way too young and in experienced for this. He looks so uncomfortable but I have a feeling he may be this year's Kevin Covais and get into the top 12. He stands out so we may see him for awhile.

Rudy going was no surprise. He was corny and very over the top for me. Really, there were alot of men who could've went home because alot of them are unknowns. Most of those men weren't hyped. The girls had quite a few hyped and overexposed early on but the men only have Sundance, Chris Sligh, and Phil. The others had minimal to decent exposure.

Paul going was no big deal. He had no personality outside of his not wearing shoes. He had a decent voice but you can't be boring because then people forget you.

The girls that left were ok with me. Amy seemed very angry with the judges and herself. I heard her say she wanted to sing something else tonight but Ryan told her the band wasn't prepared so she had to sing that one. She just seemed like someone who doesn't like criticism. Nicole had a decent voice but her performance was so grating and she was another who seemed to hate criticism. Paula loved her but she seemed to hate being judged. Maybe it was just me.

Not a Fantasia fan but she did sing well tonight. One of the few times I could tolerate her. I just hate how the judges have a love affair with her. She did ok but she did not have the impact others did, yet, she seems like their favorite. When Kelly and Carrie returned, they didn't give them standing ovations like they did Fantasia tonight. Same goes for Ruben and Clay when they returned. That bugs me and I hate when I see favortism like that.

• Members

Not surprised with the 2 girls.

I was a little surprised, but not sad, about the guys leaving. I'm guessing it was the barefoot thing that turned people off Paul. Rudy going first may have been his downfall - lots of people either forgot him during the 2 hours or missed him.

• Members

Not surprised with the 2 girls.

I was a little surprised, but not sad, about the guys leaving. I'm guessing it was the barefoot thing that turned people off Paul. Rudy going first may have been his downfall - lots of people either forgot him during the 2 hours or missed him.

Archived