American Idol: Discussion Thread

R!ck

• Members

One performance that I was anticipating was that of Leona Lewis. She was scheduled to perform on the finale but I'm not sure why she was a no show. For those of you who are not aware of her, she is the winner of "X Factor," which is Simon Cowell's music performance show in the UK. You can watch clips of her on YouTube. She's supposedly the next big thing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I first saw clips of her, I thought that she was very wooden. Then the more I listened to her, the more amazing she became. I mean, she has a very unique voice, and she has a soft falsetto to her voice that sounds like a heavenly choir or something. I think you have to listen to her a few times to really appreciate her full talents, though.

I just wish that she had more personality. She's an insanely talented singer, but the girl herself looks like an incredible bore.

Here are clips of her...

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

• Members

When they return for their new season in January, is anyone going to want to watch it?

Me? I'm not sure. I mean, there were some good folks on the show, but the show overall was not their best in the season.

Out of all the AI seasons, I think I liked the second season and then the season with Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood...the others were just so so for me.

• Members

Those are my two favorite seasons too Venus.

Rhiannon, it is said that Paul McCartney was supposed to be the surprise guest but was a no show (supposedly because his ex was in the audience I guess). That was what the Beatles medley at the end was leading to, which is what I expected. Rumors had been flying all year about him being at least on the finale and when I heard that Beatles Medley I thought for sure that he would come out and he didn't. It appears he was supposed to but never showed and AI never learned of it until halfway through the show. Now, if Bette was told a day and a half prior, obviously she didn't fill in for him so I wonder who filled in for Paul, if anyone, and who Bette filled in for?

I plan to watch next season. AI isn't like a regular show. We have a new cast every season and every year is different from everyone's perspective. There will be good years and bad years and some years where people are split over the talent so we'll see what happens next year.

• Members

I've been reading a lot about Jordin and she is a very accomplished girl having been in the finals of Star Search and another talent show, made her first CD at age 13, etc. She has a website that tells a lot as her life has been geared from a young age to be a star. I think she is marvelous and really loved that she won the title.

I have only watched two prior seasons of American Idol. Loved Season 4 and hated Season 5 or at least the winner. I forgot who he was up against....oh Katharine McPhee. She should have won. It was that chant Soul Patrol that actually won. This year it was the Blaker Girls who almost won. If I were so talented and in the top ten, I'd be certain to get a catchy chant that would hypnotize everyone into mass hysteria....LOL.

This was a very strange season as it seemed to lack something. I think it lacked clear leaders of the pack. Strange that Jordin was really so good that many professionals saw that but the viewers didn't rally round her until Melinda and LaKisha were gone. Or, maybe it's because everyone just thought Melinda would win and didn't pay a lot of attention to the rest. Next season, I hope that there is someone who clearly grabs us from day one and just zings through....like Sam Harrisl did on the first Star Search or Linda Eder, Beth Hart, etc.

• Members

I just read through about the last 10 pages of this thread and it seems that certain posters seemed to continuously force superficial judgement upon contestants and then turn around and deny they ever did.

However, some posters jokingly banter back and forth and it's taken as an insult and punishment is handed down.

That just does NOT seem fair to me.

• Members

People didn't say anything meaner towards certain contestants in this thread than they have in some of the other reality show threads.

Check out the "Charm School" thread! LoL Or the Rosie O'Donnell/Elisabeth Hasselbeck threads in the Off-Topic forum.

"Larissa's a nasty coke-whore BITCH!"

"DIE YOU UGLY BITCH! BURN IN HELL!!"

I can't say it enough... some people are just overly sensitive. There was nothing terribly offensive said in this thread, IMO. Since when are people not allowed to say something bad about a reality show contestant? That's what the shows are designed for -- to judge who's the best and who's the worst. And from what I've seen, nothing offensive was really said towards any posters here, was there?

I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone is just suddenly super-sensitive. This isn't kindergarten, folks! Accept creative/opinionated disagreement and move on. There's no point in getting all bent out of shape just because someone hates a reality show contestant that you love. Since when did SON become a "positive feedback ONLY" board?

There would be no drama if people would accept that and move on.

• Members

Kenny, I agree. Not everyone is going to have sunshiney opinions. I never said otherwise.

However, to go a step further and call someone's favorite contestant a "cocknibbler" just to simply ag them on (since they've made it perfectly clear they don't appreciate the name calling)....that's wrong.

How would YOU like it if I called Eileen Davidson a nasty skank ho who looks like a gutter rat?!

Part of me tells me that you wouldn't like that very much.

And all the drama is not being caused by overly sensitive people. While overly agressive posters seem to be the real culprit, I'm not even going to point the finger at them. This drama has been around for a long time. Nobody knows who started it and how or why...but our job now is to clean it all up...not to sit around and say "Oh, well, the reason there's so much drama is...."

• Members

Trust me, anytime I referred to Blake as anything negative, it wasn't to ag anyone on.

People say negative things about Eileen Davidson all the time! LoL Hell, there are some people who still refer to her as a man. I don't care. I mean, I don't agree with it... but I'm not her personal keeper.

IMO, the only reason we're not supposed to say offensive things about soap stars is because we know there's a likelihood that several of them visit this forum from time to time. Everyone else in the entertainment industry (primetime/movies/reality show stars) is fair game, IMO.

Why could people say all the terrible things that were said about Sanjaya Malakar, but the minute something is said about Blake, they've gone too far?

I'm all for helping to make the board better and fix whatever issues that there may be, but that can't be done unless you recognize what some of the issues are, in the first place. I pointed out what I feel is a problem. If I watch "American Idol" and I think that a contestant sucks or that they're rude/whiny, I'm going to say so. If I watch "Big Brother" and I think that a contestant is a back-stabbing btich, I'm going to say so. That's what these shows were designed for! If people can't handle the heat and get all bent out of shape just because someone says something about someone they're a fan of, then they really should just get out of the kitchen. I'm not going to filter my feedback just because a Blake Lewis fan can't handle the fact that I hate him. It's not as if I'm insulting the fan, personally, or saying that all the fans are morons... so what's the issue? I seriously doubt that Blake Lewis will be on the board anytime soon to read what I write about him, so it's no big deal.

As for discussing Blake's sexuality, there are pictures of him GRABBING ANOTHER MAN'S PENIS. Of course it's going to be mentioned! If Justin Timberlake were photographed tomorrow grabbing another man's junk on stage, you'd better believe that people would be talking about it. It's no big deal! These people are in the spotlight... things are going to be said! It comes with the territory.

As for discussing Blake's sexuality, nobody can accuse me of saying that it's a bad thing if he's gay, because I'm gay, myself. Again, what I've said about him is tame compared to what I've seen people say about other reality show contestants in other threads. The only difference is that the overly sensitive posters don't take part in the other threads, and we're able to let loose and have fun without worrying about about how much so-and-so is going to get bent out of shape. If they'd lighten up, there would be no issue in the first place.

That said, I do understand why someone might think that I was making an anti-gay reference when I called Blake a "cocknibbler," but everyone here knows that I'm gay, myself. They know me better than that. I wasn't serious. Sarcasm, folks!

Why does every single thread turn into a "what's wrong with SON" thread lately, anyway? It's annoying! I don't want to discuss SON or the politics behind it when I just want to discuss American Idol, damn it! LoL

• Members

Kenny, you keep acting as if I'm accusing of belittling someone for ebing gay OR I'm accusing you of hurting someone's feelings. I never said that. What I said was....

I'm not just picking you out. There were several others. They all said mean, unnecessary, superficial comments that were uncalled for. However, some made no such comments and THEY were the ones who were punished. That is not fair.

I never said that you have to praise every single person on TV. You're going overboard with that assumption. Never did I say that you can't express your rightful opinion.

However, when you start calling someone "cocknibbler", that's a little unnecessary don't you think?! Or when you say that someone looks like a drunk, that's unnecessary.

The reason that SON does not allow actor bashing is yes, they think that actors might browse the boards from time to time. But on another note, they know that it's not right and it's not nice. If they did away with that rule, then they might as well do away with the rule that pertains to member bashing. It's no different. They have those rules there for a reason...to maintain peace and order.

And for the record, I never turned this thread into a "Whats wrong with SON" thread.

1) Like I said earlier, I don't exactly think that one can pinpoint it, therefore a lengthly debate over it all would prove pointless.

2) I made a simple observation regarding the derrogatory posts in this thread and the (IMHO) unjust punishment that was handed down on some members.

3) YOU were the one that openly, publically replied/addressed the problem(s) as "overly sensitive" members not knowing how to take a joke. How can you not expect someone to reply to that comment?!

There is a time to joke and a time to not joke. You can't just make derrogatory comments and then, later, go back and claim they were a joke and people need to grow up and learn how to take a joke.

That's not how it works.

• Members

I disagree, at least with the "drunk" comment. Some nights on AI, Paula looks fine... other nights, she looks drunk and/or medicated. By sh!t, I'm going to comment on it! LoL There's really no way to beat around the bush with commenting on that. She either looks drunk or she doesn't. This board -- nor have I -- ever been nicey-nice. That's not going to suddenly change now just because newbs come in and can't handle it.

It really all boils down to personal opinion, so there's no winner in this debate. No point in going any further with it.

Archived