September 25-29, 2006

Toups

• Members

Sheffer was great at the beginning with the Barbara/Craig pairing and leading to Barbara's downfall. But after a while his storylines began to run on way too long with a non satisfying ending(stories just fizzling out). I think he will improve Days numbers but not what fans are hoping.....ie.....pass B&B for the #2 spot.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hogan did bring ATWT up to the #3 spot for long periods of time, even passing B&B a few times during The Oakdale Serial killer storyline.

If he can do that with ATWT he sure as heck can do it with DAYS. Days has a huge fanbase and many lost viewers. The show was averaging a 3.3-3.6 just little over 2 years ago so the audience is still there.

• Members

It should take time. No doubt that there will be an initial mini-bump in the ratings as the people that read mags and are on the internet decide to check out the buzz and sample his work. But I suspect that the real rise will come once his SLs kick into full gear and then again when he earns an award nomination for his work.

• Members

If DAYS goes up, I don't expect to see it until possibly later in the month and until November. I'm hoping Hogan and company will have some good things planned for November sweeps, especially since that's the only month when GH gets off its ass and does stuff to bring in ratings.

I'm not expecting DAYS to become #2, but a 2.8 would be nice.

• Members

ATWT has proven lately that "stunts" can help their ratings and TPTB are already planning more. I'm not too happy about this based on the Perfect Storm which featured the same old characters and nothing new. The only difference was the weather. I don't want to send a message that the same old crap in a special setting is good enough. I did love the Slasher story though and anything that features the teens is good because those are my favorite characters on the show (that have a chance in hell of getting a storyline).

I would love to see how ATWT or GL would be rated if it came on right after Y&R instead of B&B in most markets.

I think Days will get a bump from some of Hogan's good work but the show has to be CONSISTENTLY good for several months before some fans will return.

• Members

I disagree. I don't think it was the same old crap. The storylines (especially Paul/Em/Meg) actually moved. For weeks we had been getting the same crap and finally the storyline moved forward. The same with the Carly/Simon stuff and the Dusty/Lucy storylines. They became much more interesting and now that the storm is over the storylines are now in a better place. The show has been good this week even after the ending of the storm but it was completly boring before the storm (except for the teens).

• Members

One, yes, Hogan gets too much credit for "saving" ATWT. The difference between Days and ATWT is that ATWT had a core of consistant vets that acted their asses off to make those stories work. Now Days is in the midst of a mass exodus, and Hogan is pretty dang bad at establishing new characters.

Unless the emmy landscape changes, I don't see Hogan's work being acknowledged at all, which was half the "mystique" anyway. The ratings didn't improve...over all, they declined in the four/five years he was hw. And he promised you writing for families and couples? Well, unless he's had a transplant, he doesn't know how to do that, or write anything close to a consistant story from start to finish.

He gives good sound-byte interviews. He'll get attention from the press who adore him. But even he can't single-handedly change the financial aspect of DOOL or NBC daytime.

• Members

First off, what Hogan did at ATWT should not even be part of the debate. ATWT and Days are completely different and Hogan acknowledged that fact himself. Pretty much the whole cast of Days are vets so the vets are going to be used. Days also has Corday there who will want the vets being used and while I hope he doesn't interfere, he will at times to make sure the show stays true to it's identity. Say what you want about JER but the vets were used under him and I think Corday has something to do with it.

Nobody is expecting instant ratings success. However, all the Days/Hogan doubters in this thread should note that as long as couples and characters the fans love are front and center (and they already are on that track and plan to stay there based on Hogan's previews) and the show is decently written the show will see an increase. Think about it-Days surged under Brash and Cwickly and they were two unknown writers to many people. If they can raise the ratings and keep them there, then Hogan can do wonders since Days has a much bigger fanbase then ATWT. I wonder how many of the doubters in this thread have actually read Hogan's previews or even sampled Days recently (especially yesterday and today for Hogan's first days). If you did, maybe you would have a different view.

Again, both ATWT and Days are too different to compare and have differing situations so it's unfair to use ATWT in the discussion. None of us will truly know until we see his work and so far so good. I said before and will say again that I am going to wait 6 months to see how all the changes improve Days. Right now I would give them an A+ and say they are on their way to huge things but, again, you can get a better read after 6 months usually.

• Members

You need to read Hogan's previews for Days. First off, the show is not in a mass exodus. Losing Farah Fath and Kyle Brandt will not kill the show. Brandon Beemer has improved the character of Shawn by leaps and bounds. Brody Hutzler leaving is nothing. Christie Clark and Austin Peck leaving sucks but their return flopped. Billy Warlock leaving stinks too his return flopped as well. Melissa Reeves left on her own and Matthew Ashford leaving stinks but really him and Melissa are the only ones of real impact Days is losing. Not a mass exodus by my standards and I think it will leave the show in a better place and already has (except for losing Christie, Melissa, and Matt). Hogan also said no new characters and that he will only be bringing people on from established families.

Again, read the previews if you haven't already. You don't seem like a Hogan supported and you seem very pessimistic and negative but this is something that can't be compared to ATWT. Hogan knows both shows are different so to claim he will do nothing that will recieve recognition or ratings is a bit unfair and premature at this point. ATWT has vets but practically all of Days' cast are vets so they have a big advantage there. I wouldn''t automatically dismiss Hogan being on Days just because you feel he stunk on ATWT. The majority loved him or liked him in some capacity so he has alot going for him and if his plans are any indication, then the show will see nothing but huge success IMO.

• Members

Right now, the smart thing for NBC to do would be to ADVERTISE what's currently airing on DAYS. Why? Because stories are MOVING! Things are happening. Situations that characters have been stuck in for months have finally moved. From the Bo/Hope/Chelsea mind games to the reallignment of the Carrie/Austin/Sami/Lucas quadrangle, things have moved and are moving in the direction that fans want to see. If NBC would promote that, say "Hey! We're finally giving you what you wanted! No more B.S.! It's here!" and promote it during primetime hours, jaded fans just might tune back in and see the payoffs and then stick around when they see that the show's not in a rut anymore. JMO

• Members

Absolutely, I give more credit to Broderick than anyone for stabilizing ATWT. And I don't really call Laiman's tenure disastrous. It wasn't good, but it was mostly just harmlessly stupid. I thought the last 2 years of Sheffer were worse than anything she did.

• Members

When was this? Do you have proof about ATWT pasing B&B in the ratings? I dont ever recall ATWT doing that during the OSKS. :huh: ATWT was #3 but it never passed B&B.

As for the ratings for Days being 3.3-3.6 two years ago. That is the point. It was 2 years ago. Just because Days has a huge fanbase doesnt mean the audience will return. I just find it funny how some fans think it will even overtake Y&R at #1. But like I said only time will tell.

Archived