August 28 - September 1, 2006

Toups

• Members

What makes you say that? How could you know when both AMC and OLTL are in the crapper? Maybe when they get good again the viewers will come back as well. AMC has the audience – they’re just waiting for good storytelling and for something truly exciting to happen to make a come back. This was obvious during the height of the baby switch, when AMC reached the #2 position for the first time in years.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yes I'm VERY happy about it because I want quality and am sick of being taken for granted! The soap fans are treated like catshit. We don't get DVD, we barely get any promo, the least they could give us is a QUALITY SHOW. Since they won't do that, they don't deserve to be rewarded with good ratings. I would throw a party if the ABC soaps got like 50 viewers. That's what they deserve because none of them care about the fans or the quality of their shows.

When your show is a piece of garbage, of course the ratings will be crap. The hacks running the show are whats hurting the genre, not ratings.

• Members

DAYS hopefully got good numbers for the Jack/Jen episodes this week(so Corday maybe has a change of heart eventually and realises Matt Ashford at least should be back in the cast). :D

I'm so pleased I don't watch any of the ABC soaps: what a [!@#$%^&*] trainwreck! :lol::lol::lol:

• Members

Agreed.

Most lapsed, lapsing, (on their way out) and semi-lapsing (like me...I'm in for a day or two and then I'm out again for a week or so) posting on the net are, I'd say burned out, detached or saddened regarding the state of AMC and the favorite characters but despite wishing otherwise find themselves utterly unable to continue watching per their tradition because the show is THAT bad and in more ways than just the writing.

That said, I'd think most are sincerely longing for change and the opportunity to enjoy the show again...and soon. AMC's audience is on hold, imo. I do not think AMC's core audience is forever lost and can be brought back but somebody at The Mouse has got to show some cajones and make significant change in the direction of the show...starting with a pink slip for Megan McTavish.

People have a right to feel what they feel and think what they think. I cannot imagine a fan of ANY soap on ANY network being satisfied with the quality of product being put out by All My Children. I cannot imagine why they would even feel the need to remain loyal to a show that's given the kiss off to their audience again and again.

Yet, plenty of viewers (including myself) do remain loyal and hope to return upon regime change--because we care about the longevity of the show, because we want our show to be around years and years from now and above all true to itself, the characters and Agnes Nixon's vision.

In AMC's current state, that future does not seem possible. Ratings are the only way for changes to come about, so wishing for dropping ratings has everything to do with AMC staying on the air. And that does indeed contribute to the longevity and future hope for the genre itself.

• Members

I don't really wish low ratings on AMC but if that is waht it is going to take for things to change at ABC Daytime I am willing to look at these pitiful ratings. ABC across the board is a joke. ABC used to pride its self on real raw story telling that always had a message behind it. Also big on family interraction and above all balance. That has all but disappeared and the ratings are reflecting that. AMC is still ahead of last year which shows you how low they sunk last year and nothing was done about it. I have grown up with ABC Daytime and used to be so proud of it. I am not so proud anymore. I want ABC to get to where we all know they can be. CBS truly does own daytime now there is no question. Hopefully as Toups mentioned things are gonna be changing behind the scenes at all three shows. We need major major changes.

Frons needs to watch a GH episode from BJ's heart storyline, or Stone and Robin dealing with AIDS/HIV or watch a Martin family Christmas on AMC to see what really these shows should be about.

• Members

Hey Toups or someone

I was looking at the Households. It looks like all but three soaps -- GH, OLTL, and Passions -- had more viewers this week then at the same time last year. At a time when there is so much gloom and doom about soaps, it appears the only shows really suffering are the stinkers -- OLTL is the biggest stinker. Again, the gains aren't huge, but at worst, the held their own.

GH is a better sap in my opinion than it was a year ago. AMC and OLTL are just awful. I've never seen OLTL this bad and I watched Santi Hell.

• Members

I never thought it would be possible but AMC right now is worse than it was at this time last year. The first part of the summer was better but things have just got so convuluted and all drawn out it is so bad.

BURTON COME QUICK!

• Members

This is what happens when you whitewash characters and don't deal with consequences of such things like...I don't know...screwing your stepfather as the wife/mother is not allowed to confront the sluts and is instead dying of cancer. (I'm looking at YOU, Ric, Sam, and Alexis!)

This is what happens when Jason must always be on and ALWAYS be right. Lucky is being turned into a sleazy druggie to make the hitman look like a prize for Liz. Spare me.

This is also what happens when you have the same people featured and others mysteriously disappear for weeks on end (farewell, Scrubs, Robert, and Anna - we hardly knew ye!).

And the writing blows.

Bob Guza and Brian Frons, take a bow. You've destroyed GH. And the hits keep coming!

May you go for 2.3 next week. Take your Jason, Sam, Carly, and Sonny jones and shove it.

• Members

Highest Total Viewers (so far) for the 05-06 season

Y&R 5,763,000

B&B 4,656,000

ATWT 3,771,000

DAYS 3,744,000

GH 3,707,000

OLTL 3,634,000

AMC 3,480,000

GL 3,137,000

PSNS 2,553,000

Lowest Total Viewers (so far) for the 05-06 season

Y&R 5,008,000

B&B 3,932,000

GH 3,043,000

ATWT 3,041,000

AMC 2,977,000

OLTL 2,932,000

DAYS 2,918,000

GL 2,617,000

PSNS 1,642,000

There's a silver lining lol

This weeks combined ratings for all soaps is 30.8 million and last years combined rating was 29.6 million :)

• Members

As one other poster stated though, I just wonder how much that has to do with so many people being affected by Katrina last year. I mean you had people in at least 3 states who for quite some time didn't get to see the shows at all. My ex-mother-in-law lives near Biloxi, and I remember her telling me that last year she went nearly 2 months that she missed all or part of Days of Our Lives (the only soap she watches anymore). She said for awhile they didn't have power, and then the news stayed on 24 hours on the NBC affiliate, and then alot they would break into the show.

I am sure it had to affect the number of viewers some.

Archived