August 28 - September 1, 2006

Toups

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Ernesto hit on Friday.

As bad as the ratings for AMC and GH are there is hope. Laura is returning for a brief period on GH. It's little but it is something. Bianca is returning on AMC. OLTL meanwhile pimps Claudia as the next pivotal character while they say that they have no money or story for Kevin and Kelly and Nora and Viki act as little more than wall paper. OLTL is so far removed from the direction they need to be going it's frightening."

Quote from Cal3

What's truly frightening to me is how dense or myopic the OLTL regime is. Apparently fans grumbled significantly enough at the fan weekend for Frons to comment that Todd's revenge on Spenser is being addressed because fans yelled loudly enough for it.

Should we have had to yell at all? A man is framed for a vile murder he didn't commit. The person who framed him gloats to him as well about taking his wife and family. The audience is gonna be rooting for the victim even if he is the sappiest romantic lead on the planet, let alone the once compelling OLTL signature anti-hero Todd Manning.

Yet they chose to continue the story on, giving the vengeance to McBain of the dead daddy demons?

I suspect there are similar examples from the other ABC soaps.

• Members

WELL, I have to say I'm a bit sad to see Days lose a tenth, but not totally surprised. I feel that another Sami wedding is entertaining, but we all know how they end up. Don't get me wrong, it was great and well written, just the same out come as always can wear on some viewers, and not give the spike we thought we would get.

HOWEVER, Days is the third ranked soap for two months now, something to rejoice about.

As for ABC, you get what you put in. Get use to being at the bottom if you use shakey camera editing and horrific writing AMC. OLTL, if you keep Hackley much longer, you will end up in GL's spot. GH, everyone is sick to death of the Sonny show, and bringing back vets just to ruin the characters isn't a ratings grabber.

ABC Daytime is in the toliet, and it's a shame and a waste. They have really, really good shows with rich history. The problem is, no one on the network is proud of, or respects, the history that is ABC Daytime.

• Members

GL isn't the best soap on the air, but it's certainly a lot more entertaining than all of the ABC soaps. Granted, the Reva storyline is pissing off some viewers, but the payoff will be spectacular. I just cannot wait for Reva to tell Josh and Cassie that she has cancer. When that happens, GL is sure to rise above AMC, OLTL and GH in the weekly ratings. Can't wait! :D

• Members

Soap opera fans never cease to amaze me. It gets old how we all kick each other when our shows are down. I hated when it happened when Days was always low, and now I see my fellow Days fans do it to other shows.

I know there are some who are happy about the ratings being low so that changes will be made, but there are others who word it so wrong and are totally happy about the low ratings for the other soaps. I can remember that so many were about Days. And the Days fans fussed and got tired of being kicked when the show was down.

I know that I for one have said that the only way changes will ever be made at 2 of my favorites (AMC and OLTL) are for the ratings to drop, and that is true. As long as the ratings are high or stable Frons or whoever are not going to make changes until the revenue dollars are dropping. We have to have the lower ratings for that to happen. But some people are just way too happy about it.

When are we going to realize that lower ratings across the board don't hurt just one soap - they hurt the whole genre. We have talked about it before. As long as the ratings are like they are (and none of them really have anything to be proud of there), executives aren't going to give us anything new. And they are not going to raise the budgets for all the shows - instead they are just going to get worse. Because advertisers are not going to want to advertise at all in the genre. I feel that unless things change as a whole, when these shows are gone there won't be anymore soaps.

We need things to get better. I do feel that Ernesto probably had a lot to do with the lower ratings on Thursday and Friday as some stations did not even carry the soaps - just had news on the whole time.

• Members

I am not so sure Ernesto is the blame for the drop in ratings for the soaps. I live in Florida and it was just a tropical storm by the time it came through on Thur/Fri. None of the soaps in my area were pre-empted for any coverage on it. Ernesto turned out to be nothing, thankfully, so I can't see it affecting the ratings.

• Members

True but it most likely had some effect. I think it is more likely that colleges opening up, people going on their last trip of the summer, etc had an effect on this. Many people may have taken off for a long weekend. Many people I know did not watch Days for most of last week because we had our state fair around here and there was so much going on. I think that was a major factor.

I am happy Days at least held on and if you look at the numbers for the actual wedding, which was Mon, Tue, and Wed then you see the show did well and got around a 2.7. If Days did about a 2.6 on Thursday or Friday they probably stay the same. The wedding did attract people so it was not a flop-people just lost interest after the wedding and that is a same because the show rocked. I feel conifdent it will rise this week with all the premptions on the other networks and NBC probably won't count Monday.

As I said, I wish Days did the wedding a week earlier because the number may have been better but oh well. They stayed the same and seemed to do well in demos so good for them. ABC has no excuse and can't blame the holiday or weather as their numbers the whole week sucked for all three of their shows and the dailies show it.

• Members

I don't think you can blame Ernesto. Just looking at the ABC soaps, the low day was Thurs not Friday. Friday they were back up to numbers they had earlier in the week. I also say that consisering that I live in a major metropolitian part of VA and got slammed with Ernesto, no power etc on Friday in hundreds of thousands of homes.

Sorry but ABC soaps are getting the numbers they have earned. They are just bad.

• Members

Well, at least Days did very well in demos and is up in total viewers from last year by alot. I guess it was just one of those weeks that Days got hurt by people losing interest or being busy for the last half of the week. I think they will do well in this week's ratings though-this week was awesome and it only will get better. :D

• Members

Sami's wedding got the ratings the days afterwords didn't. Still the ratings aren't bad when other soaps are hitting/tieing new lows. Ratings are inconsistent and won't always be huge, this is good for DAYS, consistency, something it hasn't had in a while, with ratings and writing.

Archived