AMC: Megan Mctavish's E-mail Doesn't Work/Is She Gone?/Sweeps (Merged Threads)

• Members

He was writing primetime TV as early as '74 so I don't think he was a teen either.

But he could still well have been a long-time viewer. He just seems the like the last man I'd expect to be an All My Children fan.

Good point about Victor Miller. Before I saw him in person I always pictured this classy upper-crust kind of man. And then to be confronted with a pony tail, tattoos etc was a little suprising.

And he's one of daytime's best IMO. So you never know....

Lets also not forget that, IMO, his most significant credit is not anything he did or did not do for TV, but his work as a NYC police detective. He's been out there in the thick of the most gripping *real life* stories.

Frons picked him, that's a guarantee he's not going to be perfect. I have no doubt his introductory interview is not going to please AMC fans the same way Hogan's pleased Days fans. I think he's going to say some things we are not going to like hearing.

But at this point I don't care. AMC is complete sh*t.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same here. He's going to be fresh and exciting. I can't wait to see what he has in store for us and as a long time fan he should have some awesome ideas.

He worked on NYPD Blue I assume for the entire series run? It was on up until what 2003?

• Members

I remember in early 2003 when AMC was featured on "Biography" they showed one of the writer's meetings with Richard Culliton. Agnes Nixon was there sitting at the table. I’m sure Agnes still wants be involved, but McT probably told her at the one of the meetings (no doubt during an argument), "Get out, old lady. This is MY show now!".

• Members

Burton Armus was a writer/producer on the first two seasons of NYPD Blue. NYPD Blue picked up the Emmy in season two.

Credits are credits. They're just that. VERY few successful primetime writers have GOOD resumes. The most acclaimed writers work on shitty shows as staff writers because work is work, and it's very rare that you can go to one acclaimed show to the other.

Greg Garcia, Emmy-winning writer of "My Name is Earl" got his start on "Step by Step" and "Family Matters."

Terence Winter, three-time Emmy winner for "The Sopranos," worked on "The New Adventures of Flipper."

Most of the writers from "Arrested Development," the most acclaimed sitcom in years, have very bad resumes, ranging from shows like "My Wife and Kids," "Full House," "Boy Meets World," and the like. Yet they came to a show with completely DIFFERENT sensibilities and pen out an Emmy-winning show that many criticis consider the most innovative and funniest to come along in years.

Shonda Rimes, the creator/showrunner of "Grey's Anatomy," wrote that god-damned Britney Spears vehicle "Crossroads," for goodness sake.

The rule of thumb in primetime TV is that you are LUCKY to get work ANYWHERE, and the chances that you will find a show that YOU think is good/funny/whatever are minimal.

What show you work for in primetime TV is not a reflection on your talent as a writer or your likes and dislikes in shows.

And about the primetime TV writing process. Actually, first they "mesh" out each episode before anything is written. The showrunner/EP and the writer-producers are all in this meeting and they ALL contribute to the episode. That's why all writers are given "producer" credits on every episode. Certain writer-producers in the meeting are then assigned to expand on the episode and actually write it. They flesh out the story even more, and write the dialogue (teleplay), and they get the writing credit.

Just for kicks, a picture of Victor Miller.

harley2.jpg

This is a man, judging by his multiple interviews, loves the soap genre to death. He's also a Yale graduate in, I believe, English literature.

Looks can be deceiving.

• Members

IA looks anount to nothing in this line of work. I'm only referring to his body of work (and lack there of).

He worked for NYPD Blue for a season but he did not WRITE for the show. He was a co-producer and he was one of many.

Full Cast and Crew for

"NYPD Blue" (1993)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106079/fullcredits

Produced by

Kevin Arkadie .... supervising producer

Burton Armus .... co-producer

Paris Barclay .... supervising producer

Jeremy Beim .... co-producer (2003)

Joseph Berger-Davis .... associate producer

Buzz Bissinger .... producer

Jesse Bochco .... producer

Steven Bochco .... executive producer

Nicole Carrasco .... associate producer

Bill Clark .... co-executive producer

Bill Clark .... co-producer

Bill Clark .... consulting producer

Bill Clark .... supervising producer

Gigi Coello-Bannon .... associate producer

Joyce Davis .... coordinating producer (2003)

Steven DePaul .... co-producer

Steven DePaul .... coordinating producer (1997-1998)

Steven DePaul .... producer (1999-2001)

Steven DePaul .... supervising producer (2001-2004)

Robert J. Doherty .... co-executive producer (2002-)

Robert J. Doherty .... coordinating producer

Robert J. Doherty .... producer (1997-1998)

Charles H. Eglee .... co-executive producer (1995)

Keith Eisner .... co-producer (2003)

William M. Finkelstein .... executive producer

Leonard Gardner .... producer

Channing Gibson .... co-executive producer

David Glazier .... associate producer (2004)

Walon Green .... co-executive producer (1994-1995)

Gregory Hoblit .... executive producer

John Hyams .... producer

Ted Mann .... producer (1993-1994)

Bonnie Mark .... co-executive producer (2003)

JoAnne McCool .... co-producer

JoAnne McCool .... producer (2002-)

David Milch .... executive producer

Maureen Milligan .... co-producer

David Mills .... co-producer

Matt Olmstead .... executive producer (2002-)

Matt Olmstead .... producer

Doug Palau .... producer

Greg Plageman .... co-producer (2004)

Theresa Rebeck .... co-producer

Michael M. Robin .... co-executive producer

Chad Savage .... co-producer

Alex Shevchenko .... associate producer

Gardner Stern .... co-producer

Gardner Stern .... producer

Gardner Stern .... supervising producer

Meredith Stiehm .... producer

Meredith Stiehm .... supervising producer

Tom Szentgyorgyi .... producer

Hans VanDoornewaard .... associate producer (2003)

Michael W. Watkins .... producer (as Michael Watkins)

Nicholas Wootton .... executive producer (2002-)

Nicholas Wootton .... producer

Nicholas Wootton .... supervising producer

Jody Worth .... producer

Jody Worth .... supervising producer

• Members

In primetime TV, a producer IS a writer. If you are a contracted member of the writing staff, you get a PRODUCER credit.

If you are a producer in the sense that you do NOT write, but are responsible for the technical aspects of the show, you get a "Produced by" credit.

Burton Armus wrote several of NYPD Blue, it's not hard to find the proof online. He received an Emmy nomination in 1995 for co-writing an episode with David Milch.

Archived