Y&R: June 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

I thought Luner did a decent job as NuLiza after Pratt left. She had great chemistry with MEK and a number of others, and she had a real white-knuckle grit and self-loathing to her performance when Liza made bad choices. But she wasn't Marcy Walker.

I'd welcome her on a soap, but not Y&R.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed.

I can imagine him trying that whole, "The entire cast will be so scared by her!" line to the press again, only to have the collective flesh-eating parasite that is the Y&R cast throw a body through a window.

• Members

Sharon Case is a great, great actress who deserves so much better, but I've been beyond over Self-Righteous Crazy Sharon even before Pratt took over. She reacts to everything she's done over the last few years like "so what? Get over it!" And Pratt's only making it worse.

• Members

Since Pratt took over hrs wasted Gina especially after sge got an emmy nod. Jean P was writing fabulous stuff her. I would have loved to see her original take on this storyline. I miss smart tv every freaking day as I feel I was robbed of an intellectual soap experience

• Members

So Ashley has some kind of brain tumor now? Is she going to turn into MP's Kimberly and go off into multiple personalities and blame it on the tumor?????? I wonder if one of the personalities will be "Kristen"? How many "dual" parts can people play on this show at one time?

I've gone from watching everyday to now just tuning in for like fifteen minutes a couple times a week.

I agree that Gina T is being wasted on this show. She shouldn't be anywhere near Avery's mess when the two have hardly ever been sisters and Phyllis should be in the thick of Jack/Marco's story where she knows something is wrong. Phyllis has always been a schemer and has committed enough of her own crimes she ought to know when something isn't right. The woman has never been stupid. Annoying maybe....but NOT stupid.

I can't believe they still haven't revealed Adam yet. By the time they do JH's contract will be up and he'll leave.

GT, JH, and ED are really the only reasons I try to tune in to this show but with these stories I ....just.....can't.....

• Members

Ha. I'm glad I said something and am not alone regarding GT being wasted. You're right on point about Phyllis - she is anything but stupid or gullible. Barring the obvious (sex with Marco and not knowing), the minute the Spanish thing hit - on top of the bizarre spending, Phyllis would've been all over that. Now a character like Kelly - all goo-goo eyes for Jack and no history - that's plausible. But Phyllis not being suspicious? Phyllis knows Jack inside and out and better than any other female character on the show, except Ashley - and that's another huge flaw, but whatever. The irony is if MS was still in the role, they wouldn't be able to pull this off - and those who followed her work on the show would understand why. Again, it's a real shame about GT because she stepped into the role and made an immediate impact. Unfortunately, as long as the ratings continue tracking so high year over year, Pratt will get free reign. From a business standpoint, it's hard to disagree with those results.

• Members

LOL Jonnysbro, I've asked you about this "smart writing" and "intellectual soap experience multiple times and you never respond, so I have to assume you're trolling us with those comments.

Jean P's stuff was better than Pratt's, but Pratt's stuff is outright CRAP, so that's an awfully low bar. There was NOTHING intellectual about Jean P's stuff LOL

And how awful is it to take a great actress like Eileen Davidson, give her a headache and neck pain one day, then an operation for a brain aneurysm the next??? No words.

• Members

JP is so-so. However, she has had multiple HW positions, and has never really distinguished herself in any of these roles. I think the best that can be said about her writing is that it is innocuous and really doesn't cause any long-term damage, unlike Pratt, who ravages his shows and never looks back. I'm sure someone will chime in and claim she destroyed ATWT, but she was just implementing Goutman's very narrowly focused vision. My guess is that she didn't have much power there in terms of actual story direction. I have to admit that I really enjoyed a lot of LML's stuff (shielding myself from egg throwing), especially when Alden and Smith were writing with her. There was a freshness and focus to the show (reliquary aside lol). Yeah, it started to spin totally out of control when she took complete control, but I thought it was quite watchable and fun for a while there.

• Members

Is anyone else not understanding the Michael/Lauren story right now? It makes zero sense to me. So he has cancer and decides he's just going to push Lauren away? This is so stupid to me...., So what happens if you live??? He pushed her away because....he never really loved her? But, I thought he did...and if he recovers, she's with someone else. If you die, she's without you anyway and she'll move on then at that point.

I don't get the story here. They're writing Michael so smarmy and slimy right now it makes me want him to die. LOL.

• Members

Yeah, she was pretty harmless when Smith and Kay Alden were still around, I'll say that. Out of everybody, her stint would be the one that least bothered me if certain storylines and changes involving characters I love so much hadn't occurred. Jean P didn't do much that bothered me, but that's exactly it, nothing much happened at all. Having said that, I was enjoying Y&R upon Phyllis and Adam's returns more than I had in years.

Archived