What happened to Victoria Rowell on Y&R?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Please DON'T. This is a DISCUSSION board and I'm SO over being told what can and can't be discussed. Victoria Rowell is a popular daytime actress who many fans miss- there's no reason why her name should dare not be mentioned on a SOAP OPERA message board. It's ridiculous and silly, all because some people on here aren't grown up enough to handle a mature discussion about a sensitive topic.

I for one am done catering to the idiots.

Rowell quit Y&R. The controversy comes from her accusations of racism after leaving, saying some of her co-workers were threatened by her as a powerful black woman. She also spoke about the lack of diversity behind the scenes and made some valid points. Then Peter Bergman came out in the press and called her "CRAZY." It's been non-stop controversy ever since.

• Members

I agree. I think that this matter should be discussed (being civil) because if we only ignore the matters at hand then we are further contributing to all that is wrong in daytime TV.

Now onto the matter at hand. . .

I'm sorry but everything that VR has alleged is coming true day by day. There is no strong black (or diverse PERIOD) being shown onscreeen or behind screen. We're there, yet we are not being utilized.

I just find it odd that VR is being pegged crazy and criticized for something that does need to change. Not only in TV but the entire entertainment industry. I find it embarrassing that half century after the civil rights movement that we as a nation still can't represent all races on TV properly -- especially daytime, which has been proven to have the largest AA audience.

I commend her for having a pair and calling people to the carpet. More people should speak out about these shows as it shows they have passion and aren't there just to collect a paycheck and go home. I just hate that people constantly bash her when some of the things she have said have most likely been proven true. . .

• Members

Oh, I don't find it odd - I find it telling that her truthtelling was dismissed by her former coworker(s), bosses, and certain viewers as crazy talk. After all, that wasn't the first time that I bore witness to this brand of backlash, as this (as well as what became her blacklisting) has been going on in Hollywood as a whole since the dawn of the industry.

The only thing that dismayed me, frankly, were the Negroes that fell for (and continue to cosign) the fuckery that went down with Vicky.

• Members

I don't like to think about it. I will say that most of the controversy which she supposedly caused has continued with many other actors, long after she has left Y&R. I do think that her being black is a big reason why she got the negative labels others have not.

Archived