Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

The X-Factor: Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
556 replies to this topic

#1 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

The X-Factor: Discussion Thread

#2 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

THE X FACTOR

Simon Cowell returns to FOX in the award-winning international phenomenon THE X FACTOR. This new competition series, hosted by Nicole Scherzinger and Steve Jones, gives viewers the opportunity to help choose the next global superstar or breakout music group. THE X FACTOR judges will travel the nation searching for undiscovered talent 12 years old or over – both solo artists and vocal groups – who are willing to brave the panel for a chance to make their dreams come true. Auditions for THE X FACTOR were held this spring in Los Angeles, CA; Miami, FL; Newark, NJ; Seattle, WA; Chicago, IL; and Dallas, TX. In a departure from other singing competition series, the first time a contestant auditions for judges Simon Cowell, Antonio “L.A.” Reid, Cheryl Cole and Paula Abdul, he/she will do so in front of an audience of thousands – raising the stakes and increasing the pressure to impress not only the judges, but also a potential legion of fans. This will be the ultimate test to prove they have the vocal ability, charisma and stage presence it takes to become a global superstar or breakout music act and win a $5 million recording contract with Syco/Sony Music. Those contestants who survive the first auditions graduate to “boot camp” and will be divided into four categories. Each category will be mentored by one of the show’s judges. Not only is it a competition between the hopefuls to stake their claim for the coveted win, but it’s also a showdown among the judges as to whose acts will dominate the competition and make it to the finals. The judges may have their say in how the competition progresses, but it will be up to America to decide who ultimately has THE X FACTOR.

PRODUCTION COMPANIES: Syco Television, FremantleMedia North America
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Simon Cowell, Rob Wade, Siobhan Greene, Cecile Frot-Coutaz, Richard Holloway, Andrew Llinares

JUDGES: Simon Cowell, Antonio “L.A.” Reid, Cheryl Cole, Paula Abdul

HOSTS: Nicole Scherzinger, Steve Jones

Edited by Toups, 16 May 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#3 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

http://www.hollywood...omo-simon-49858

#4 Sylph

Sylph

Head of Drama

• Members
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

Simon Cowell's X Factor Announces Prize: $5 Million Sony Music Record Deal

Auditions to start March 27 in L.A., contestants can be as young as 12, new judges to be announced 'in the coming weeks.'

The Hollywood Reporter

#5 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

It's Official: Antonio 'L.A.' Reid Tapped As 'X Factor' Judge

Great choice! He's a pretty respected music exec.

*crosses fingers for Cheryl Cole as a judge/mentor*

#6 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

Yes!!! My beautiful Cheryl Cole is IN! :)

And I can tolerate Paula.

http://www.deadline....-zzzzzz-factor/

ETA: Damn, just read the whole thing and the deals aren't official yet. Got too excited. LOL

#7 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

Now it's official. :)

FOX Press Release:
British pop superstar Cheryl Cole will join Antonio “L.A.” Reid and Simon Cowell as a judge on THE X FACTOR, the highly anticipated singing competition series debuting this fall on FOX. Cole, who has sat alongside Cowell as a judge on the U.K. version of “The X Factor” for three years, is a multi-platinum selling solo artist and a member of Girls Aloud, one of the U.K.’s most successful female vocal groups of all time. Cole will join Cowell, Reid and an additional judge (to be announced) as they travel to THE X FACTOR audition cities searching for the next global superstar or breakout music group.

“I’m thrilled for Cheryl. She is massively excited about this show, and has been fantastic to work with,” said Cowell. “She is also a complete brat! Most importantly, this girl can spot talent.

“I’m so excited to be taking part in the American version of THE X FACTOR. I absolutely love it here in the U.K., and with the talent they have out in America, I’m sure we’re going to find someone very special. I can’t wait to get started,” said Cole. “I just can’t decide whether I am more excited to find and nurture the talent or for the unbelievable amount of amusement and entertainment I will have watching Simon doing everything and anything he can to beat me. He’s tried to beat me for three years in the U.K., and hasn’t even come close. His ego must be so bruised. America is gonna love this.”

“Cheryl Cole has the whole THE X FACTOR package: She’s an incredibly talented artist and performer, as well as a style icon, and she has that special charisma that draws in fans around the world,” said Mike Darnell, President of Alternative Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. “Cheryl’s charm and chemistry with Simon have been a key part of the overwhelming success of ‘The X Factor’ in the U.K., and we can’t wait to welcome her to the U.S. on our air.”

#8 OLTL_fan

OLTL_fan

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

Cheryl Cole OUT! Replaced with Pussycat Doll Nicole!

http://www.tmz.com/2...dge-panel-host/

#9 AllMyDaysatGH

AllMyDaysatGH

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,284 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

Cheryl Cole OUT! Replaced with Pussycat Doll Nicole!

http://www.tmz.com/2...dge-panel-host/

Toups is probably pissssed!! LOL.

Yes!!! My beautiful Cheryl Cole is IN! :)

Cheryl Cole OUT!

LOL Posted Image :(

Edited by AllmyDaysatGH, 25 May 2011 - 06:20 PM.

#10 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

I wonder how they're going to edit her out of what they've already shot. I guess they really can't. They'll have to address it.

#11 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

#%#$@#$!!!! UGH!!!!! Why hire her in the first place then? Just to get my hopes up? Her accent is understandable! Such a stupid reason to replace her. What rubbish!! I want to see Cheryl's prettyness on my tv screen. :(

#12 Jonathan

Jonathan

Soap Historian

• Members
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

#%#$@#$!!!! UGH!!!!! Why hire her in the first place then? Just to get my hopes up? Her accent is understandable! Such a stupid reason to replace her. What rubbish!! I want to see Cheryl's prettyness on my tv screen. :(

You're just going to have to settle for youtube.

#13 Toups

Toups

R.I.P. James E. Reilly

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,559 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

You're just going to have to settle for youtube.

I've already seen those UK X-Factor episodes. Plus, I hoping this gig would get her some exposure in the US. She's good enough to become a Katy Perry like popstar star.

#14 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,903 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

Nicole is cold and unpleasant and really came across horribly on Dancing With the Stars, where her partner and rigged judge scores were the main reason she won.

#15 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

Cheryl is reportedly being considered for a spot on the UK/BBC version of The Voice, which should go into production next year.

She probably won't be back on the UK X-Factor, as both she and Simon left to concentrate on the US version, and now that's fallen through for her...

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, 29 May 2011 - 04:03 PM.

#16 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

http://www.guardian....-factor-sacking

Cheryl Cole ponders switch to BBC after X Factor sacking

Former X Factor judge is offered role in rival BBC show The Voice as debate rages in US about whether she was brought down by foul play

Things move quickly in Cheryl Cole's world: no sooner had she been unceremoniously fired from the American version of The X Factor last week than she had flown back to Britain, checked into a Berkshire hotel and begun pondering her next career move.

In America, however, the television pundits were still wrestling with the reasons for the Geordie singer's "failure to launch". How, in a royal wedding year when the United States was supposed to have been swooning over all things English, was one of the old country's superstars deemed not good enough for primetime?

Because for many observers, Cole – who made her first bouffant-haired appearance as a judge on the US show before the paparazzi just three weeks ago – was simply not up to scratch. And it was not, they said, just because of her north-east accent, which some claimed to be impossible for many viewers to understand.

"With enough production magic, you can go the Lily Allen route and 'Geordie' your way to indie supremacy," wrote Village Voice columnist Rohin Guha. Two productions featuring accents similar to Cole's – Billy Elliot the Musical and Lee Hall's play, the Pitmen Painters – have recently done well in New York and proved that pronunciation is not necessarily a barrier to success.

Guha compared Cole's quick flop to Eliza Doolittle failing her "rain in Spain moment" in a way that he said could prove terminal for her career in America. "She took herself too seriously from the start," he added. "By forgoing the kitsch of her Girls Aloud days, she walked away from one of the few roads female British pop acts have into the American industry."

Other commentators refused to rule out foul play. The news of Cole's dismissal from American X Factor leaked just as a rival talent show and music impresario Simon Cowell's previous brainchild, American Idol, was approaching its finale and ratings peak. "It was extraordinary timing that the story of Cheryl Cole being fired blew up just as the American Idol season was peaking with the finale – though if anything Idol ratings were higher than expected," said Kelly Lynch, an editor at Hollywood-based television and celebrity news website Socialite Life.

She added that the firing of Cole reflected badly on the Rupert Murdoch-owned television channel Fox, and left Cowell looking foolish. "Simon Cowell is a wiseass and is putting all his effort into leaving American Idol in the dust. The X Factor is going to be a monster, so I'm surprised by this messy episode," she said. "He was drumming up publicity for her [Cole] for the last six months and I thought it would work, that he was bringing us a little bit of his Britain – especially as we're all anglophiles this summer after the royal wedding. So to have Cole fired so abruptly I think has got to have been a business decision by Fox executives," said Lynch.

Others cautioned that it was possible that there was no skulduggery, and that Fox had intended to announce Cole's firing last Thursday, after the Idol finale. Instead, the news was leaked to popular gossip website TMZ the day before. Fox will be airing both American Idol and The X Factor.

Ratings for American Idol have dropped in the last few years, but the show remains the highest-rated TV series in the United States, and it has held that title since 2004-05. The online betting site Bookmaker has now given Idol a 90.9% chance of being the top-rated show next season in America, while The X Factor has only been given a 28.6% chance of being top in what will be its debut season.

Cole's place on the judging panel of the US X Factor is now expected to be taken by former Pussycat Dolls singer Nicole Scherzinger.

Cole, meanwhile, has reportedly already entered the next stage of her career, becoming a glamorous pawn in a ratings war between BBC1 and ITV.

This weekend the 27-year-old singing star and talent show panellist was reportedly choosing between high-profile roles on Saturday night television shows for BBC1 or ITV1, although probably for a reduced fee. Insiders at her record company, Universal, have indicated they would prefer her to consider working on a new talent show in development for the BBC rather than returning to her judge's chair on the British version of The X Factor.

The new show, called The Voice, is already a success in the US and has business connections with Universal, where UK boss David Joseph, who also runs the Brit Awards, is said to be hoping to steer her away from ITV and from Cowell.

An employee of the record company reportedly confirmed yesterday that, "Universal are heavily involved in recruiting judges for The Voice when it moves to the BBC and they are urging Cheryl to be the big star of that show," adding that the move would be "a great way of sticking two fingers up at Simon Cowell".

On The Voice, the panel hears the auditions "blind" and rates the talent purely on their singing voices.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, 29 May 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#17 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 53,903 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

Without Simon manipulating the press for her at every turn she's probably going to have a very rough ride.

#18 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

I agree, the press has never liked her, and many just see her as a plastic barbie doll with no actual talent to judge signing. It surprised many when Simon picked her for the UK X-Factor in the first place.

She's lucky that Ashley Cole cheating on her caused some sympathy for her, but other than that, I don't many who actually like her.

#19 lovely_m

lovely_m

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

The British press is apparently giving X-Factor hell for firing Cole.

http://www.deadline....ndish-munchkin/

#20 OLTL_fan

OLTL_fan

Veteran

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

Cheryl Cole drama continues.

http://blog.zap2it.c...r-paycheck.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users