Survivor: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

This was still when the show was innocent and sweet, overall, so the standards were lower. Jerri vamped, flirted with Colby, and <gasp> accused Kel of having beef jerky </gasp>, so she was hated. I think she played that up too, for attention, but the hate was a little ridiculous at times. Believe it or not the beef jerky stuff was a huge issue at the time, with people outraged that the integrity of a soldier would be questioned. It all seems silly now.

Are you also able to see the "let's show them back in their real life" specials? They had one after season 2.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yeah, s 1-3 so far have had lengthy, unneeded intorudctions of each player and ive seen a real life special and i could not care less about it, LOL.

The show is very much a social experiment in these seasons, and while its ok after s1 i much prefer the game playing seasons.

• Members

Season 1 had the great arc with Kelly and Sue, also Sean's ridiculous strategy and the complete loss of innocence. Believe me, the merge picks things up all the way through the finale. The 'family video' episode is also another classic as you feel so badly for Jenna (who I would go on to be totally annoyed with in All Stars).

Amazing how after almost 13 years I can still recall all of that (last time I saw Borneo, man, was probably when it came out on DVD) but some seasons I draw total blanks on. Definitely says something.

Season 2 was great. A step up from Season 1. The first 6 seasons are so pure, it's a very different show in a sense. 7 was just outstanding. All Stars was, sigh, ugly. So many egos. People played really dumb. Season 9 started the twists and the show never looked back.

• Members

Here is my breakdown of s2-

First of all, i was excited for the location - Australia! But what shitty camp locations, jesus. truly one of the worst. between the wildfires and the flood, that was some harsh camp life. I was shocked when they ran out of food and Jeff gave them more food but took away their tarps/flags - wow. I mean it was a fair trade but man, i felt for them. Michael falling into the fire was heartbreaking, glad he was OK - and Elisabeth just standing with him in the water trying to just be there and knowing she couldnt do anything was absolutely hard to watch, i felt so bad for her too. Colby was a powerhouse at the challenges and the social game. For a long time i truly couldnt tell who he was loyal too, and his tri made it to the final 3. He deserved to win, but i liked Tina and dont mind her winning. Im surprised at Amber being so famous in the survivor world because she was utterly boring and basic this season. The product placement in these early seasons is extreme. Mt Dew, Doritos, That weird Aztec car that I always wanted but my parents told me no cuz its ugly and i hate the outdoors,

I will post about S3 when i finish it, and if work stays this slow that will be in a few hours LOL

• Members

Ok, season 1 - The Africa location was pretty steller, but i have to say if I were on survivor id much prefer a stormy tropical location. The tribes treck to the their camped looked hellacious and i felt for them all. I liked the two tribes, and the red tribes split between older & younger. The tie breaker of whos had more votes in previous tribals is annoying, not a fan of that at all. I also was not key on the three member swap, as it totally did out with the younger alliance from the red team and contenued after the merge. The challenges this season were a step up, and you could tell they got more $$$. Probst also really started to find his grove as a host this season, who i liked him in previous seasons too. I was really sad Silas went so early, Does he return for another season? I hope so. I love, love, love Ethan and Lex. They are very good. The reward challenges this season were great too, going to little villiages, helping out at AIDS camps, etc.. Oh, and Kim is another great player! Tom annoyed me but i still liked him, LOL. Ethan is one of the most deserving winners.

Crazy about lex and the piercing question, how he had it correct but producers didnt know that girl didnt have any either. I guess they rewarded him the runner up money as well to make up for it, but damn who knows what would have happened if that mistake on productions side hadnt happened.

I hate the host of the reunion shows, he is so boring. Glad it changed evetually to Jeff.

• Members

I am also SHOCKED at how much stuff the people have! They bring so much stuff with them, they are given basically everything needed. Much, much more than later seasons would go on to have. I really do not like that aspect at all.

Anyways, onto season 4. In other news, i need a real job where I cant wait 15 seasons of survivor in a week, LOL.

• Members

Silas never comes back. He is probably most remembered for one of his facial expressions being used in a chop on Survivor Sucks for years...

Season 3 brought about a lot of changes, unintentionally. The previous tie vote rule bogged down the game so much (as you can see in Lindsey's last episode), the show abandoned it after Africa and brought in purple rocks (not a fan!). This was also one of the last seasons that had a Q&A as a final challenge - as it turns out, Lex actually got this partially right and the show didn't realize it at the time. They had to pay him and Tom to make up for screwing them both out of a potential win.

Lex was also violently ill at the end of the game, and for months afterward.

I was not a big fan of Bryant Gumbel but I ended up preferring him to smug Jeff in the long run.

This next season has Rosie as the reunion host. That's...really something.

Rosie banned all Survivor people from her show during the Africa season, because she was so upset when they drank cow blood.

• Members

I miss some of the tie-forcing moments.

I wasn't a big fan of Africa at the time, mostly because I was a fan of some of the losing side (especially Teresa). I did think Lex was fascinating, especially his power trip. The whole voting off Kelly after that instead of all working together against Lex was one of the biggest missed opportunities ever on this show.

I also loved Linda, who was just insane.

• Members

I am torn on Africa. While not a boring season, it also wasnt exciting. It was fairly predicatable and I agree the Kelly moment was a huge wasted opportunity. They picked a good cast with great dynamics and that saved it.

I wouldnt mind a tie, with the pruple rocks! I hate the dumb trivia and the who has more votes cast against them so much though.

I am very excited for the Boston Rob season, cuz I love him and have NO idea how well he does this season. I actually love his tribe so far, Mama is annoying but also amusing. Then there is Hunter, i think thats his name, who goes on about a jesus and being black bond with that women who seems more annoyed by him than anything. He cant stand that he isnt the leader. I can tell he will cause some drama. I am loving Hunter so far too, and this poor girl Sarah who is likely to be voted out because shes attracted to Rob.

On the other side, I really feel for the older woman who is isolated, i think her name is kathleen. She just wants some food and shelter first and they are all about being social so they are all over her for not knowing them and shes almost in tears saying a shelter is what matters most to her. Man, i feel for her. But again with the flag as a personal item used as shelter? I am so glad this was done away with.

I cant say it enough, i hate, hate, hate how much stuff they bring with them and all that they get. I am so glad this season limited what they got.

• Members

Oh, I do like Kathy! She is pretty great.

I dont care for Zoe or that Mr America guy. But Zoe has gone running now and is being a total bitch so i might end up liking her now, lol. I dont like that other women in their failed alliance either, Tammy?

Im just so sad Rob is gone

• Members

I had forgotten about Tammy until now but I sort of liked her then, mostly because she seemed tough and smart.

Zoe barely seemed to be there until the very end. She does have a moment to remember

. She also released a "sexy" calendar, for charity.

Archived