April 17-21, 2006

Toups

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I may be a glutton for punishment, but I'm going to wade into the "Days" debate...

First, why do some people assume that a post-Reilly headwriter would automatically be a recycled writer from a or more soaps? I am the first to admit that that habit of recycling writers is one of the key problems with the soap genre today. Fans almost always list writing as their number one complaint about soaps today.

"As the World Turns" had success when it named Hogan Sheffer as head writer several years ago. At the time ATWT was coming off what may have been its worst period in its history. Sheffer immediately turned the series around and was even rewarded by his peers with Emmy nominations and wins. The series remains well written (but not as well as under Sheffer) since he was unceremoniously and somewhat controversally shunted aside last year. Sheffer had been at DreamWorks prior to his stint at ATWT and came to the show with no soap writing experience.

Before ATWT, "One Life to Live" used non-soap writers Michael Malone and Josh Griffith to generally positive reviews. Like with ATWT, the stories crafted by Malone and Griffith lifted OLTL creatively (even though Malone's second "tour of duty" is widely regarded as a failure). "The Young and the Restless" recently looked outside the daytime arena as well when it named Lynn Latham as head writer. Although Latham had been a consultant at Y&R since last year and worked on ABC's defunct "Port Charles", most of Latham's credits come from primetime.

To suggest that "Days" would suffer and have to settle for a second rate hack in a post-Reilly era is to say that "Days" cannot do any better than Reilly. That is an insult to the many people on and off screen at the show and its fans at home. "Days" can and must do better than Reilly. If not, the alternative may (underline the word "may") be lower ratings, new record lows, and those factors could (underline the word "could") tip NBC's hand and force them to cancel the soap. At this point, "Days" has nothing to lose and everything to gain by either firing Reilly or religate him to the sidelines by bringing in a co-head writer to right (and write) this Titanic while their is still time to avoid the iceberg.

• Members

I agree with you on the funeral/weddings and everyone leaving that drives me nuts. Carrie and Sami left before Marlena's wedding to Alex. After Zack's death, I was hoping for great scene with Kristen Alfonso and Martha Madison. I don't even remember a scene that involved them after Zack's death.

• Members

Well, those OLTL ratings suck...but it's not surprising given all the Paige/Spencer/John/Dead Daddy who no one gives a damn about stuff we have been subjected to recently.

That being said, Marcie & Michael's wedding, the birth of Tess/Jess' baby, and the tornado should bring in some higher ratings.

• Members

Lynn Latham kicked ass as a headwriter on Knots Landing (she wrote the late 1980s-early 1990s seasons, which were really good ones for Knots). I was so happy to hear her name mentioned as Kay Alden and Jack Smith's replacement.

• Members

And PASSIONS would be better served with Reilly fired from DAYS. IF Reilly remains at DAYS much longer, I'll start believing this is NBC's secret plan to get out of the soap business, it just doesn't make sense for Reilly to remain at DAYS getting record low ratings with his own creation: Passions in its current state.

• Members

Yeah they are - I am looking forward to seeing how technically well done it ends up being. I hope it shows the actors flying back and being jolted with debris flying everywhere like AMC's.

From reading the spoilers though, the stories and plots that spawn from this tornado SUCK - and are no where near as exciting or worth watching --especially for 3 better known characters :(

• Members

Why would they fire him? the show is doing just fine for the season? One weeks bad ratngs mean squeat to the higher ups. It's the seasonal averages that they look at.

DAYS Season to date Rankings

18-34 #1

18-49 viewers #3

18-49 #3

HH #4

Viewers #5

If were calling for the head of every HW that wrote boring material at times, and gets the lowest weekly rating to date, EVERY soap would have a new HW since EVERY soap has hit lows in the last couple years.

• Members

So I just noticed AMC was first in Teens...not that it means anything bc that demo changes drastically week after week...still kinda cool to see AMC at the top of something. Wonder what drew the teens that week...JR/Babe romance in France maybe? I can't see too many teens that were watching back in the Tad/Dixie heyday - so the encounter wouldn't have drawn them...maybe it did though - who knows.

• Members

I agree Rick-NBC can look at that and see growth and I am sure days was expecting crappy numbers in April based on all the filler and such. Both Days and Passions are banking on the summer with the big returns and vendetta. I think both will be fine and by end of summer will have pretty good numbers, although I expect alot bigger numbers for Days. Days will rebound as soon as next week IMO.

• Members

Sorry, but I suggest you prepare yourself for some awful sweeps numbers. The Hatrick/Bollie sex, Carcus pregnancy and Frankifer proposal will NOT pull up the ratings.

They should have brought SN and MBE back a month earlier.

• Members

I agree. They better make sure all their male actors 51 and under have their shirts off every episode or else a lot of people will lose interest in keeping their eyes glued to the screen. The May sweeps spoilers sound very bad except for the ending of the Dr. Alex story and the return of Jack.

I know! Damn it. Maybe next week since GL was much better. Let's hope they can recover and get out of their 2.2 funk.

• Members

Let me just say that it almost seems as if JER is trying to ensure that during May sweeps all fans will be throwing their sandwiches at the televsion. I believe the Bo/Hope fans will be outraged - as far as I know Hope has never slept with anyone other than Bo (not counting when she was Gina) - so Hatrick sex is major to that fanbase; and since Days gets off on tormenting a wounded bull you have such upcoming memorable moments in the next week or two like Abby catching Jenn/Frankie in bed and Jenn proclaiming her eternal love to Frankie while planning their wedding to just thrill those J&J fans.

I predict there will be a major shortage of white bread nationwide as sandwiches are tossed and viewers decide to shut off that old TV for awhile!

I predict the next two weeks ratings will continue to fall, probably being passed by GL, then they will level off mid-may and hopefully rise a little with the return of Jack and Steve/Kayla. But for the next few weeks I think it is going to be an extremely bumpy ride ratings wise.

Archived